Justin Cobbs tranferring from Minnesota

shoot

What was everyone's most memorable Justin Cobbs moment? Hmmm, that is a tough one to answer. Swing and a miss on that one, maybe there is another option. It may look better for Joseph coming here now that there are fewer options at his position, that is if he even considered Cobbs competition for minutes at PG?

If true, I am disappointed he is leaving.

I thought he showed promise. Yes, he had some rough moments as a freshman but I will always remember that he also shot 86% from the charity stripe in limited play.

If he does leave, I for one wish him much success in the future.

:clap::clap::clap:

What games were you watching? Cobbs didn't look solid in the slightest. He looked like a freshman that was way in over his head when he was out on the floor.

Cobbs made freshman mistakes in his freshman year. He has a high upside and an above average handle. He has missed his homies back in Cali all season and just hasn't felt right away from home. Should he opt to leave or stay, I wish him every success.

This article states we are showing "serious interest" in Brust:

http://basketball.dailyherald.com/story/?id=373305

Go Gophers!!

"After fielding over a dozen offers from mid-major schools hoping to catch Brust on the rebound, high-majors are coming in starting Friday night. Boston College and new head coach Steve Donahue will be in to visit with Brust on Friday night, followed by Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan on Saturday, Cal coach Mike Montgomery on Sunday and Tubby Smith and Minnesota on Monday. Both Wake Forest and Northwestern are also in the mix as they sort things out on the recruiting front."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2010/04/busy_days_ahead_for_brust.html

Cobbs was not a Big Ten PG.

Tubby needs to start recruiting regionally.

Saying he was garbage is a bit harsh. I think some people, especially nowadays, have these unreal expectations for freshmen because they see these John Walls, Kevin Durants, Derrick Roses etc etc. He was decent for a freshman, obviously room for improvement but you could say that for every player.

Completely agreed. People have been spoiled by players like that and now have completely unrealistic expectations for freshman. They think if they don't set the world on fire the second they step on campus then they are complete failures. Obviously there are players like John Wall and Kevin Durant who do, but those are exceptions. The expectations for freshman have skyrocketed the last few years.

Thanks for the link, it sounds like Wisconsin has a pretty good shot.

Cobbs

Cobbs was definitely a Big 10 point guard.. Immature at times but skill wise never embarassed himself like many guards I saw in the Big 10. I saw terrible guards getting clock for numerous Big 10 teams...

Cobbs down the road could have been an Eric Harris type.

Cobbs played like a freshman. Some good, some bad. That's how most freshmen play.

But being called garbage or not a Big 10 PG, that's a stretch to come to that conclusion so quickly, in my opinion. I guess people expect all freshmen to knock their socks off right away. If they don't, that means they suck. As others have pointed out, there are only so many freshmen the likes of Wall and Cousins to go around.

What I saw in Cobbs was a kid with some promise. I guess the concept of seeing a kid develop over a period of time has gone by the wayside. Another example of our increasingly instant gratification society.

Best of luck to Cobbs...freshman year away from home can be tough. I bet if he stuck it out he would come around. Oh, well.

I can't believe the people ripping him. I thought he displayed a lot of nice skills and he could really finish at the basket. I think he will develop into a very steady point guard for someone. He can hit a few threes, drive a little bit, not bad at running the team. This would be a major get for Monson at LBSU.

Best of luck to him.

I think Bryant Allen can give us a nice spark this year taking over Cobbs minutes. BA can actually shoot it a bit. Check out his highlight tape in HS, he hit a ton of 3 pointers.

Cobbs played like a freshman. Some good, some bad. That's how most freshmen play.

But being called garbage or not a Big 10 PG, that's a stretch to come to that conclusion so quickly, in my opinion. I guess people expect all freshmen to knock their socks off right away. If they don't, that means they suck. As others have pointed out, there are only so many freshmen the likes of Wall and Cousins to go around.

What I saw in Cobbs was a kid with some promise. I guess the concept of seeing a kid develop over a period of time has gone by the wayside. Another example of our increasingly instant gratification society.

I agree completely. Cobbs had the measurables to be a good Big10 PG. He seemed to have a very short leash out there, and it seemed to take a toll on his confidence. Wish we could have seen him develop.

Completely agree with this post. I think Cobbs coulda been one of those guys who come his senior year, we're sitting there discussing how he's "come so far" and all that. I think he has the tools to be very good.

I think Cobbs is comparable to Melvin Newbourne. A Big 10 body that will develop into a very good point guard. I hope he stays because I think he has a great future.

Cobbs was not "garbage" but he didn't have the "tools to become a very good PG" either. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? He was capable of becoming a decent starter or good backup big 10 PG. Freshman year is too early to call anyone "garbage" but I'm really not sure what he did to show anyone he was going to develop into a very good PG. He couldn't shoot at all and struggled taking care of the ball.

Cobbs hosted Cory on his visit so it may have a negative impact?

I agree completely. Cobbs had the measurables to be a good Big10 PG. He seemed to have a very short leash out there, and it seemed to take a toll on his confidence. Wish we could have seen him develop.

Totally agree, especially the part about being on a short leash. Cobbs was a big scorer in high school but continually passed up open jump shots and rarely drove the lane for the Gophers - I would have liked to have seen what he could do as an integral part of the offense - either he was never given that chance because of his defined role (take care of the ball without looking to score) or he lacked confidence to "go for it" - we'll probably never know. I wish Justin well and wouldn't be surprised at all to see him excel with a change of scenery.

Cobbs was not "garbage" but he didn't have the "tools to become a very good PG" either. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? He was capable of becoming a decent starter or good backup big 10 PG. Freshman year is too early to call anyone "garbage" but I'm really not sure what he did to show anyone he was going to develop into a very good PG. He couldn't shoot at all and struggled taking care of the ball.

I considered "very good" to be of starter quality, so I don't think we disagree there. Early in the year he showed the ability to get to the lane, finish and take care of the rock. You could argue the competition increase is why he seemed to struggle later in the year, but I really don't think it's that simple. If he''s talking about being homesick and all that stuff back in like January, that likely affected his play IMO.

I liked some of what I saw from Cobbs this season, and there were times that it was obvious he was a freshman playing PG for a team that had a lot thrown at them throughout the season while coming in with high expectations. To say he was garbage is unfair and inaccurate. I, as well, enjoyed his high FT shooting percentage after seeing years of horrendous shooting. Finally, my Cobbs highlight is him throwing down the powerful fast break mini-tomahawk dunk in I believe the Indiana game at Williams, when Westbrook ran onto the court and jumped into his arms in celebration. Pure elation and in the stretch where we turned the season around. Though its not a program-breaker that he is leaving, obviously, it hurts. I for one wish that Cobbs would stay around because I could see him contributing in the future for this program.

I liked some of what I saw from Cobbs this season, and there were times that it was obvious he was a freshman playing PG for a team that had a lot thrown at them throughout the season while coming in with high expectations. To say he was garbage is unfair and inaccurate. I, as well, enjoyed his high FT shooting percentage after seeing years of horrendous shooting. Finally, my Cobbs highlight is him throwing down the powerful fast break mini-tomahawk dunk in I believe the Indiana game at Williams, when Westbrook ran onto the court and jumped into his arms in celebration. Pure elation and in the stretch where we turned the season around. Though its not a program-breaker that he is leaving, obviously, it hurts. I for one wish that Cobbs would stay around because I could see him contributing in the future for this program.

I totally agree with this. I was not nearly as down on Cobbs as some others. I think he had a lot of potential to be a good player for this team. I'm disappointed to see him go, though a quick replacement by a certain Canadian would certainly heal all wounds.

i hope bryant allen gets more of shot next year no matter what happens, i thought he looked pretty darn good from what I have seen (granted it wasn't much) but i think he has been overlooked

Completely agree.

Cobbs has gotten a lot of hate on this board, and I don't get it. He has a big, strong body, good handle, played decent defense, and while he shot a poor percentage in games, he was a good shooter from range and had some moves in the post as well.

That's what people mean when they say he has all the tools to be a good big 10 PG.. and he did.

He just refused to take a shot, which was very frustrating, and he didn't always have the best attitude on the court. That combined with some typical freshman mistakes soured some people on him, but to call him garbage is inaccurate and mean-spirited. I think that if he stuck around, he would grow to be a solid starter-quality guard in time, and I wish him the best wherever he goes.

i hope bryant allen gets more of shot next year no matter what happens, i thought he looked pretty darn good from what I have seen (granted it wasn't much) but i think he has been overlooked

The football season runs too far into the basketball season for Bryant Allen to ever become more than just a role player for the Gophers on the court. I know he had more than 500 steals as a prep player, and he's a great athlete who does have the potential to be able to help the squad. But, as long as the football team continues to get the six or seven wins it needs to play in bowl games, which stretches its season into late December or early January, Allen is not going to get serious consideration as a major hoops contributor.

I think Cobbs is comparable to Melvin Newbourne. A Big 10 body that will develop into a very good point guard. I hope he stays because I think he has a great future.

I hope you're not serious.

I hope you're not serious.

I typed a scathing reply when I first saw that guy's post, but decided against posting it. It's so ridiculous to compare Cobbs to Melvin that it wasn't worth it. All of a sudden Cobbs is a 6'4" guy on great teams that scores in double figures every year at the U and makes an appearance in the NBA...

At least he spelled the first name right, I guess. Geez...

The football season runs too far into the basketball season for Bryant Allen to ever become more than just a role player for the Gophers on the court. I know he had more than 500 steals as a prep player, and he's a great athlete who does have the potential to be able to help the squad. But, as long as the football team continues to get the six or seven wins it needs to play in bowl games, which stretches its season into late December or early January, Allen is not going to get serious consideration as a major hoops contributor.

If they don't make a bowl game and he is with the team early December/end of November... They make a bowl and it really hurts his chances of being a solid contributer. Next year he will have 1/2 a season under his belt and will be way ahead where he was when he first laced up in January.

Let's not over glamorize what Cobbs was. He had a mediocre to poor freshman season and we will see how much he improves elsewhere. He is replaceable.

If Cobbs decides to transfer, what West Coast schools were among his final choices that could now wind up getting him? Is he likely to wind up in the Pac-10, or is he more likely to end up at a Mountain West, West Coast, or Big West school? Anyone have some insight?

Unbelievable... It's as if some people on gopherhole expect EVERY player on the roster to contribute big time to the cause.

What happened to role players? What happened to freshmen who develop and become role players later in their careers?

Do you all really expect to have 12 stars on the roster at any given time? I would have put Cobb as a back-up PG against most back-up PGs in the Big Ten. He was strong and quick, and we would have seen those attributes enable him to contribute as he gained experience.

Top Bottom