Justin Cobbs tranferring from Minnesota

I hope Justin stays (talk to him Rodney!). I don't see any reason why he could not be very good. All the physical tools, played great defense, good PG (pass first). He is a FRESHMAN!!!!!

My favorite Justin Cobbs moment (so far) was a terrific defensive effort late in a close Big Ten game (I think it was against Battle but it may have been one of the other top PGs, Tubby switched JC on their scorer). My recollection from the game was that the Gophers would likely have lost that game without JC. That loss would have likely cost the team a NCAA spot.

The team can never have too many good PG (just ask MSU).

Justin - give it one more year - Soph year is much easier than Frosh year. No doubt will have more memorable moments if you stay.

Unbelievable... It's as if some people on gopherhole expect EVERY player on the roster to contribute big time to the cause.

What happened to role players? What happened to freshmen who develop and become role players later in their careers?

Do you all really expect to have 12 stars on the roster at any given time? I would have put Cobb as a back-up PG against most back-up PGs in the Big Ten. He was strong and quick, and we would have seen those attributes enable him to contribute as he gained experience.

Symptomatic of a problem a lot of folks have on this board: whatever players aren't currently on the team are going to be awesome whenever they come/return to the team. When you set expectations that every player is going to change the Big 10 next year, you get disappointed and then blame the player rather than yourself.

Symptomatic of a problem a lot of folks have on this board: whatever players aren't currently on the team are going to be awesome whenever they come/return to the team. When you set expectations that every player is going to change the Big 10 next year, you get disappointed and then blame the player rather than yourself.
Good point, I agree with you.

This is really too bad Justin is a great guy and if he does transfer to a mid major cali school I will GUARANTEE you he will dominate. He is anatural leader with great physical tools. With that said I am excited to see who Tubby brings in to fill the roster. Osenieks and Brust are very interesting because they can score, especially Brust who would be a nice compliment to Hoff if he ends up being the 6 man (which I think he will). That is if the can play D together.

Seems kinda optimistic...trading a JC for a CJ, sounds good to me, no offense to Justin. Hopefully all turns well for whatever the future holds for his career.

Go Gophs!!

This is really too bad Justin is a great guy and if he does transfer to a mid major cali school I will GUARANTEE you he will dominate. He is anatural leader with great physical tools. With that said I am excited to see who Tubby brings in to fill the roster. Osenieks and Brust are very interesting because they can score, especially Brust who would be a nice compliment to Hoff if he ends up being the 6 man (which I think he will). That is if the can play D together.

Brust is pretty athletic, but just knowing that he "chose" Iowa when the coach there had one foot out the door should raise some red flags about what his options truly were. I think the Gophs can do better, especially on the defensive side and in the heart department.

Brust is pretty athletic, but just knowing that he "chose" Iowa when the coach there had one foot out the door should raise some red flags about what his options truly were. I think the Gophs can do better, especially on the defensive side and in the heart department.

He didn't chose Iowa when Lickliter had one foot out the door. He committed to Iowa last summer, which was well before the Hawkeyes' less-than-memorable 10-22 season. There were people who were upset with Lickliter by last summer, following his second season in Iowa City, but I don't think too many people felt he'd be out of a job less than a year later.

I would've liked to see Cobbs stay, but you could always tell he never really felt at home here.

does anyone have any clue to where he is going to transfer? wherever he goes, i wish the kid luck and thank him for his contributions to gopher basketball this past year! no matter what people say you will be missed justin!

IMO we really have no idea what kind of player Cobbs is/can be. Maybe he had a chance to be a solid pg by his Jr. or Sr. year, or maybe he would have ridden the bench the entire time-who knows?

I for one believe we can turn this into a positive. The kid didn't want to be here, and I got the feeling Tubby wasn't too impressed.

OK

You can't speculate if Cobbs would be a good player but you can speculate/guess Tubby wasnt impressed with him??

Cobbs and quickness

I think Cobbs could have developed into a nice player by his junior year. He didnt look like a game changer. He had a strong body. But you can't teach quickness, for a big ten team he was a little slow for pg. Compare him to Lucas, Nolan, Battle, Hughes, I'd rather have a quick guy than a strong guy, its easier to lift and put on weight/strength, than it is to get "quick".

You can't speculate if Cobbs would be a good player but you can speculate/guess Tubby wasnt impressed with him??

I never wrote anything about not being able to speculate.

I don't think we saw enough of Cobbs to get any impression at all if he would have become a major assest to the Gophers now or later.

If Tubby liked what he saw from Cobbs, he would have played him more. Remember, freshman or not, we had a HUGE pg problem when Al failed. Cobbs had a "golden" opportunity to get big minutes, but was rarely used. That's all I was trying to say.

Top Bottom