Just when i was starting to like Myron...

I just think people don't realize how good Andre can be/is. They say oh they lost Mbakwe and Williams. Neither of which, by the way, are going to be lighting up the NBA next year. I love them both as players, but I think their necessity to the team is over played and Andre's contributions are under appreciated. Reading a lot of these articles, you'd think it was 2 on 5 every night.

I don't see making the tournament as some huge long shot. Michigan made the title game with Burke and Hardaway as their best players. I think Gophers can make the tournament with Hollins and Hollins as theirs. Especially with a new offensive system and hopefully some new found confidence. This is a benefit to me, not a weakness. It's not like they fired Tubby 3 games into the season and are learning Pitino on the fly.

Its great to be positive here but don't forget the forced fouls that Andre will have. How do you think Richard's pressing system will work if Andre has 3 fouls in the 1st 10 minutes of the game? For the 1st time, I agree with this guy. Even if Tubby was here, this year would have been a very bad year for the Gophers.

Go Gophers

I think Myron listed the Gophers because he has a predisposition to cover them. Minnesota would not be on my top-10 list of teams potentially in for a tumble. You're going out on a limb to assume that a team with a couple pretty good starters and a couple impact transfers will be a non-NCAA tourney team, especially when the coaching change could motivate what seemed to be at times an underachieving team - it's not that hard to make the NCAA tournament when you have some decent talent across the board, and all the Gophers have to do to make that prediction look bad is make the tournament.

Michigan in my view is a much better choice for a team in for a tumble - most likely they're not going to get close to the NC game again this upcoming season, so it's hard to be wrong from that standpoint. Burke was NPOY, you don't lose the NPOY and another first round pick and not take a bit of a step back when you're not bringing in any superstars. Dropping from a top-5 or top-10 team to a top-20 type team is a tumble worth listing, as they did just that with the inclusion of Gonzaga.

Not trying to be a jerk or go off the the topic of this thread... But calling Mitch McGary Michigan's best player is absurd. There were 2 guys on that team last year that were easily better than him in Burke & Hardaway Jr... Robinson III was about the same IMO and Stauskas was a little worse. Don't get me wrong, he's a stud and had an incredible tournament (until scoring 6 points in the championship vs. Louisville), but to think that he was the best player on the team (ahead of BURKE and hardaway) is absolutely insane. Again, sorry if this came off as me being a jerk, but trey burke >>> mitch mcgary.

Let me try again - he was the most important player on the team, imo. WITHOUT him, Michigan doesnt make it nearly as far,

to be honest i don't think Myron rips on the gophers that much, we get alot more exposure on ESPN.com because of him then if he wasn't there, there have been alot of articles where they would have never written it about the gophers on ESPN, also i like the big ten bias of the 4 bloggers with big ten ties, we all know Myron, Eamonn Brennan is from Iowa and lives in Chicago, Andy Katz is an IU alum and i believe Dana O'niel is a PSU alum, Katz and Brennan talk about the gophers a lot in their blogs, O'niel is the only one i don't like, she has more east coast bias

Andy Katz is a Wisconsin alum. Brennan went to Indiana.

Myron doesn't know more about Big Ten basketball than most on this board. He just gets paid to write about it.

Let me try again - he was the most important player on the team, imo. WITHOUT him, Michigan doesnt make it nearly as far,

Without Trey Burke Michigan wins or loses a first round game in the 7-10 or 8-9 match-up and then (if they win) gets bounced by the one or two seed in the second round... Without Mitch McGary they still play Kansas in the Sweet 16 (Yes I know McGary was huge for Michigan against VCU but Mich still would've won).

Calling Mitch McGary the most important player on the team is no better than calling him the best player... Trey Burke was the NPOY!

I like The analysis. Last year we had B1G championship illusions, in large part because of the presence of a healthy Trevor & Rodney. Instead we finished the last third of the season like dogs. Now that they are gone who will get a rebound? Who will stop anyone under the net? Walker? Eliason? You have got to be kidding.

I really believe Richie will turn this team around. In the meantime he'll make us entertaining. He will not, however, keep our conference record from getting worse.

I like The analysis. Last year we had B1G championship illusions, in large part because of the presence of a healthy Trevor & Rodney. Instead we finished the last third of the season like dogs. Now that they are gone who will get a rebound? Who will stop anyone under the net? Walker? Eliason? You have got to be kidding.

I really believe Richie will turn this team around. In the meantime he'll make us entertaining. He will not, however, keep our conference record from getting worse.

Take it easy, dude. Eliason's defense and rebounding are pretty solid, he just needs to improve offensively. Perhaps a system designed by someone else will help. Mo's feet were stuck to the ground, mainly because he was fat and out of shape. Now he's not. I doubt either of these guys are All-B1G, yet both should be solid contributors; especially Eliason, who has a hustle motor matched by few big men in the NCAA. I'm more worried about the PF-type of position vacated by Mbakwe. Rodney, for whatever reason, played way under expectations last year. He simply won't be missed (on the court) much expect for the showtime fast break dunks.

You would help your arguments by limiting statements like these. Is lighting it up in the NBA the year after graduation a requirement in order for a player to be called a big loss? Trevor and Rodney vs. current replacements at their positions... not even close.

They say oh they lost Mbakwe and Williams. Neither of which, by the way, are going to be lighting up the NBA next year.

Its baffling Myron's agenda against the Gophers. Katz has wayyyy more allegiance for us.

I think you can make a legitimate case for the Gophers to be a team that "tumbles" in regards to overall record, but probably not B1G record. Mbakwe is a huge loss as one of the few things this team did well last season was rebound, particularly hitting the O-boards (a league best 14.9 per game) The team also had a league best 5.72 blocks per game a number that also figures to go down significantly without Trevor/Rodney. I think it's entirely possible that this team takes a tumble in the non-conference portion of the schedule (where last years team actually met/exceeded expectations) while finishing with somewhere between 6 and 9 wins in conference play. That could turn an NCAA team in to a borderline NIT team.

There certainly is a possibility that what the Gophers give up in rebounding/shot blocking could be made up for by an offense that is something other than anemic. The road games as Northwestern, Iowa, and Nebraska were all shockingly bad for different reasons. I am still amazed that we failed to get a PF on campus to replace Mbakwe at any point during his unexpectedly long tenure at the "U". If the Gophers had a guy we were confident could bang inside at the 4, I'd feel much better about the opportunity to exceed last season's B1G results.

I think you can make a legitimate case for the Gophers to be a team that "tumbles" in regards to overall record, but probably not B1G record. Mbakwe is a huge loss as one of the few things this team did well last season was rebound, particularly hitting the O-boards (a league best 14.9 per game) The team also had a league best 5.72 blocks per game a number that also figures to go down significantly without Trevor/Rodney. I think it's entirely possible that this team takes a tumble in the non-conference portion of the schedule (where last years team actually met/exceeded expectations) while finishing with somewhere between 6 and 9 wins in conference play. That could turn an NCAA team in to a borderline NIT team.

There certainly is a possibility that what the Gophers give up in rebounding/shot blocking could be made up for by an offense that is something other than anemic. The road games as Northwestern, Iowa, and Nebraska were all shockingly bad for different reasons. I am still amazed that we failed to get a PF on campus to replace Mbakwe at any point during his unexpectedly long tenure at the "U". If the Gophers had a guy we were confident could bang inside at the 4, I'd feel much better about the opportunity to exceed last season's B1G results.

If you look at per numbers, Buckles is a high level rebounder. Also Hollins squared are a year older and more skilled. So dont count us out yet.

They should've redshirted Rodney his freshman year. A lot of people said it at the time, and they were right. I'd sure love to see what Pitino could do with him this year.

"Even if Tubby was (sic) here?" Please.

It won't be long before we can see the Gophers under the new system. We all will be here.

I like to see SS complaining about NC schedule
I like to see bga1 complaining about what he doesn't like about Richard
I like to see Dr. Don calming everybody down
I like to see Tinny and jamlo coming out and say what their agenda was in previous years
I like to see Myron bashing his critics with his improved writing
I like to see OSU fan coming here to bash Michigan
I like to see Richard dancing when Gophers beat UW
I like to see what Richard will do if one of his players gets injured or arrested
I like to see the transformation of good kids to players with GPA of 1.0

Its all good. Now, don't be writing that you would like to see me gone. Becasue I will be here after every game, win or lose.

Go Gophers

Its baffling Myron's agenda against the Gophers. Katz has wayyyy more allegiance for us.

These people are professional journalists, so it's not their job to be any program's mouthpiece, or to show allegiance. I get that Gopher fans may not like what Myron writes sometimes, so don't read him if things like meaningless mid-summer predictions piss you off. If he's not getting clicks ESPN will make sure he doesn't have a job for long.

That's messed up.

Yeah. Tubby didn't win because he signed smart kids and never had a player become academically ineligible. If he signed morons they would have won more games! Damn that Pitino for signing stupid people.

The nature of Gopher Hole. A sports journalist abilities are tied to his allegiance to the Gophers. If negative in the view the writer is insert any derogatory adjective and if the view is positive the writer is doing a good job.

Katz has been friendly to us for the past few years.

I think that was mostly because he is tight with Tubby. He was somewhat harsh when it became public that we were firing Tubby. We'll see how he treats us this coming year. Jeff Goodman is still our boy though and he is now at ESPN. He's super tight with Teague and Ellis.

For the record, I like to complain about the HOME non conference schedule. Generally speaking, hard to complain about the overall schedule with the tournaments we have been in the last few years.

Anybody - fan, journalist, blogger - who says they "know" what the Gophers will do this year is full of bull.

I submit that it's virtually impossible to predict what will happen, because there are just too many variables:
how will Pitino's style translate to the B1G; how will the returning players fit into Pitino's style; what type of production will they get from the new players; how will the Gophs replace the seniors; and so forth.

I could see this season turning out better than last year - I could see it turning out worse than last year - or I could see it turning out about the same (i.e. bubble team squeaks into NCAA tournament.)

Personally, I will take any type of tournament appearance. Hate to dredge up an old argument, but for a program with a new staff, a run of 3 or 4 games in the NIT might actually be better in the long run than a 1-and-out in the NCAA.

They should've redshirted Rodney his freshman year. A lot of people said it at the time, and they were right. I'd sure love to see what Pitino could do with him this year.

In a perfect world you're correct. Rodney wouldn't have come here if he knew he would have been redshirted.

Top Bottom