Just asking. Should Tubby be on the same "Hot seat" as Weber ?

NBA travel is a set schedule.. 6 months out.. no deviations. it is not 'hectic'.
d1 is hectic. like a presidential candidate a week before election.. four cities, one day.

i heard izzo was in chicago in early Dec to take in the top 2013 kid's home opener (jabari parker).... then he was in apple valley the next night to take in tyus' home opener..

'flip' does not have the same pull as 'k', 'izzo', 'roy', etc. so he will have to out-work them all on the recruiting trail..

College coaches travel to recruits periodically. Two cities in two nights? Wow, hectic. Flip has done back to backs for years. Has to scout players for the NBA.

Now you want to compare our coach to coach k, izzo, roy williams? Well Tubby is well known...look were we are.

Flip is too old for this rebuilding job.

This isn't football. Hoiberg has Iowa State going in the right direction in two years and it is easier here than there. Flip is 56 or 57, but it was ok to bring Tubby in 4 years ago because he was young???? Try again.

I like Tubby, but I wish he would move on. He is the highest paid state employee but if he were a tax accountant and did the job with as much success as his BB team he wouldn't have a job. I did not have the stomach to watch the whole debacle tonight but when I did NW was hitting threes and the Gophers were turning the ball over. We play with no heart and Tubby sits on the bench like he is attending a lecture. Gopher Basketball Teams used to play with passion and be fun to watch but those days are in the rear view mirror. Looking at this team now and in the future really does not provide a light at the end of the tunnel.

Tubby-you are the leader of this team and program. Take some responsibilty for the losses and don't always blame it on the players.

If you asked any high schooler right now who Flip Saunders is, most of them will say he was that guy that got fired from Washington, if they even know that.

You underestimate how much nba ballers watch. Your Statement couldn't be more wrong.

Honest question, why does everyone bring up he is the highest paid state employee? I would think that is the case at most D1 public universities for their coach in either basketball or football.

At this point I don't care if Tubby 'takes responsibility' or not, it's a lost cause.

You underestimate how much nba ballers watch. Your Statement couldn't be more wrong.
I do know how much NBA basketball players watch, I also realize how young these guys are. I am 19 and I BARELY remember most of Flip's success.

I do know how much NBA basketball players watch, I also realize how young these guys are. I am 19 and I BARELY remember most of Flip's success.

I see, but you were all for Tubby because of his success in the 90's????? You remembered that?

I see, but you were all for Tubby because of his success in the 90's????? You remembered that?
I was 14 when Tubby was hired and didn't follow the team as much as I do now. I never said I was all for the hire back then because all I knew is we got a new coach.

I was 14 when Tubby was hired and didn't follow the team as much as I do now. I never said I was all for the hire back then because all I knew is we got a new coach.

So your support of Tubby is from his work here?

I don't think replacing Tubby is the answer...yet. But I do think Tubby has to make some changes to his staff and his style. We looked like a poorly coached team again tonight. I think a lack of floor leadership is part of it...but that isn't everything. Tubby needs to send his son packing and get a coach that can challenge him and bring new eyes to the table. I also think Tubby needs to realize that no successful team has a 9 or 10 person bench...we should have an 8 person bench with our 4 best players getting at least 28 minutes per game. This line change BS has got to go...should never be a time, unless we are up by 20 with under 2 to play, should there be no starters on the floor at any one time during a game. That is why they are starters.

Second the motion - well said. Just a couple points:

1. Someone else said it in another thread - I don't know Coach Smith, but my impression is that he would have a hard time being told how to do things, and that includes the composition of his staff. When we hired Tubby Smith, we hired him lock, stock and barrel. I don't think there's a way to take what we like and change what we don't. The assistant coaching staff he has is the one he wants and the one he'll continue forward with.

2. I think Dan Monson had a chance here, but once he lost momentum, there was no way to get it out of the snow bank. Tubby Smith is a strong-willed person and a capable man, but I wonder if he's lost forward momentum and is now just rocking the car to try and get it going any direction. That said, I'm an optimist. I like the team we have coming back next year, and if Mbakwe is part of it, they could accomplish some things. But they're still talent poor compared to what us long-time fans are used to from the past, and I don't know if Smith is going to be able to improve on that.

What is your preference Mr. Bad gopher? Fire him? No extension, wait and see? extension?

So your support of Tubby is from his work here?
No my support of him is coming from he is my team's coach and I have seen what has happened when my favorite teams change coaches, nothing good.

Second the motion - well said. Just a couple points:

1. Someone else said it in another thread - I don't know Coach Smith, but my impression is that he would have a hard time being told how to do things, and that includes the composition of his staff. When we hired Tubby Smith, we hired him lock, stock and barrel. I don't think there's a way to take what we like and change what we don't. The assistant coaching staff he has is the one he wants and the one he'll continue forward with.

2. I think Dan Monson had a chance here, but once he lost momentum, there was no way to get it out of the snow bank. Tubby Smith is a strong-willed person and a capable man, but I wonder if he's lost forward momentum and is now just rocking the car to try and get it going any direction. That said, I'm an optimist. I like the team we have coming back next year, and if Mbakwe is part of it, they could accomplish some things. But they're still talent poor compared to what us long-time fans are used to from the past, and I don't know if Smith is going to be able to improve on that.

The good = wins...the bad = losses. I have taken a lot more bad than good lately.

Honest question, why does everyone bring up he is the highest paid state employee? I would think that is the case at most D1 public universities for their coach in either basketball or football.

Because he sucks and is wasting the U of M's money.

No my support of him is coming from he is my team's coach and I have seen what has happened when my favorite teams change coaches, nothing good.

What has come with keeping him? Is your answer to never change coaches again? This can be a good basketball program with the right guy. You have to keep trying.

Because he sucks and is wasting the U of M's money.
So why not just say that? Why even point out the highest paid public employee thing? The next coach we bring in will likely be the highest paid public employee as well.

What is your preference Mr. Bad gopher? Fire him? No extension, wait and see? extension?

Firing Coach Smith isn't an option. The extension issue is admittedly dicey.

He deserves a chance to coach next year, with a better boss and a roster that's whole (i.e. not robbed of its best player mid-year).

At the same time, we fans deserve better than what we saw tonight and have seen a lot this year.

What has come with keeping him? Is your answer to never change coaches again? This can be a good basketball program with the right guy. You have to keep trying.
I don't think trying to hire a new guy without someone in place to hire him that will be his boss for the forseeable future is a winning strategy.

Im not sure if your just a gopher fan or a Minnesota sports fan. Timberwolves made a great/needed change at HC. Gopher football has a quality HC now compared to that used-car salesman guy. Sometimes you need a new voice and vision for your program and Tubby's is pretty stale and uninterested right now.

Im not sure if your just a gopher fan or a Minnesota sports fan. Timberwolves made a great/needed change at HC. Gopher football has a quality HC now compared to that used-car salesman guy. Sometimes you need a new voice and vision for your program and Tubby's is pretty stale and uninterested right now.
You also have to hire a new coach at the right time, and now is not the right time.
And I am a Gopher fan, you have no reason to question that just because I like other Minnesota teams too.

a roster that's whole (i.e. not robbed of its best player mid-year).

Im in the wait and see, no extension camp (If he wants to resign after the season, I will have no problem with it). I dont think there is a chance that TM is back next year from everything I have read. Next year's roster will not improve a whole lot from this year (Who knows what Mo and the incoming freshmen will bring). If Tubby can get that group to the NCAA tourney then he deserves an extension, if not buy-out and we test the new AD.

I don't think trying to hire a new guy without someone in place to hire him that will be his boss for the forseeable future is a winning strategy.
We don't have to do that.

So why not just say that? Why even point out the highest paid public employee thing? The next coach we bring in will likely be the highest paid public employee as well.

In a perfect world, it's supposed to be the football coach. Hopefully Jerry will be successful enough so that becomes the case.

In a perfect world, it's supposed to be the football coach. Hopefully Jerry will be successful enough so that becomes the case.
I don't see Kill ever taking a big pay raise. I see him taking more money, but also having a lot go to his assistants.

College coaches travel to recruits periodically. Two cities in two nights? Wow, hectic. Flip has done back to backs for years. Has to scout players for the NBA.

Now you want to compare our coach to coach k, izzo, roy williams? Well Tubby is well known...look were we are.

so flip is out scouting college guys on off-nights?.. dont they have scouts for that???
and GM's to negotiate contracts, meet with agents, etc.
flip is out of the loop on most of that..

in college, Flip would be the GM.. and the scout meeting Tyus in his Apple Valley home trying to get him to sign.

and trying to come up with a lineup season-to-season.. in the NBA, the rare turnover is all handled by the front office.

Flip would do 5x the work for 1/3 the $$.. not saying he cant or isn't qualified, but i don't think he has the energy.

minngg said:
If Flip agrees to take th job, you fire Tubby. If not, you do not extend him.
What a stupid comment. - Why do you come on here every night and act like such a moron?

Firing Coach Smith isn't an option. The extension issue is admittedly dicey.

He deserves a chance to coach next year, with a better boss and a roster that's whole (i.e. not robbed of its best player mid-year).

At the same time, we fans deserve better than what we saw tonight and have seen a lot this year.

I blame Maturi for a lot of problems at the U, but blaming him for losing in basketball? That is a stretch. Losing Trevor this year hurt, but it is no excuse for this record. Also, Nolen was not our best player last year. You have to coach thru injuries and you have to keep players. Getting to the dance is not a benchmark for extension in my mind. You can go 8-10 and finish in 7th or 8th and get in. That is not acceptable...tourny bid or not. We need a first half of the Big Ten finish and beat more than one good team all year.

What a stupid comment. - Why do you come on here every night and act like such a moron?

Looks like a lot of Badger fans on here tonight Patski. Disguised as Gopher fans like me. Beg he mods to get rid of them.

minngg said:
Looks like a lot of Badger fans on here tonight Patski. Disguised as Gopher fans like me. Beg he mods to get rid of them.
Tubby is going nowhere so stop crying and deal with it Badger fan!

Top Bottom