Just a dream...I know.....Gopher's leave the Big Ten so new hockey conference can begin!

007gopherfan

Reaction score
With more and more teams joining the Big Ten in other sports....IT IS TIME FOR THE GOPHERS TO LEAVE THE BIG TEN!

I know it is just a dream and money talks, but just imagine a hockey conference of these 10 teams.

Minnesota
Minnesota Duluth
St. Cloud
St. Thomas
Minnesota State Mankato
Bemidji
North Dakota
Augustana
Nebraska Omaha
Wisconsin

I don't imagine too many arenas not being sold out each game for all teams. Not too far of travel will help away teams will bring more crowd and the atmosphere will be amazing.

Gophers AD, lets face it! Are we going to be competitive with all the many teams joining the Big Ten in any other sports?? Will be tough.

Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Soccer, etc have plenty of options(see below) for a stellar conference where being competitive and championships more realistic which in turns bring better fan base.

Minnesota
St. Thomas
Wisconsin
Marquette
Wisc Green Bay
Wisc Milwaukee
Iowa
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
South Dakota
South Dakota St
North Dakota
North Dakota State
Creighton
Nebraska Omaha
Nebraska

If other teams can leave their conferences, why can't the gophers! Lets make it happen!

With more and more teams joining the Big Ten in other sports....IT IS TIME FOR THE GOPHERS TO LEAVE THE BIG TEN!

I know it is just a dream and money talks, but just imagine a hockey conference of these 10 teams.

Minnesota
Minnesota Duluth
St. Cloud
St. Thomas
Minnesota State Mankato
Bemidji
North Dakota
Augustana
Nebraska Omaha
Wisconsin

I don't imagine too many arenas not being sold out each game for all teams. Not too far of travel will help away teams will bring more crowd and the atmosphere will be amazing.

Gophers AD, lets face it! Are we going to be competitive with all the many teams joining the Big Ten in any other sports?? Will be tough.

Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Soccer, etc have plenty of options(see below) for a stellar conference where being competitive and championships more realistic which in turns bring better fan base.

Minnesota
St. Thomas
Wisconsin
Marquette
Wisc Green Bay
Wisc Milwaukee
Iowa
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
South Dakota
South Dakota St
North Dakota
North Dakota State
Creighton
Nebraska Omaha
Nebraska

If other teams can leave their conferences, why can't the gophers! Lets make it happen!
Why should the Gophers leave the most financially successful conference?

Why should the Gophers leave the most financially successful conference?

If many teams are not competitive, the seats will be empty and not as entertaining = revenue losses and no NIL. It is going to be tough in many programs with all the new schools joining.

If many teams are not competitive, the seats will be empty and not as entertaining = revenue losses and no NIL. It is going to be tough in many programs with all the new schools joining.
EXAMPLE: LOOK AT NEXT YEARS FOOTBALL BIG TEN SCHEDULE! Iowa, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, Penn State, Wisconsin.

EXAMPLE: LOOK AT NEXT YEARS FOOTBALL BIG TEN SCHEDULE! Iowa, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, Penn State, Wisconsin.
So you think more Gopher fans are going to watch them play in the Missouriv Valley for FB and Summit for BB? Come on, but it is fun to dream.

Last edited:

I will give you Michigan especially if Harabaugh is back. Penn state is here but will be tough. Iowa we beat. Wisconsin if we dont have the worst qb in memory. Would say we are fairly similar programs. USC was 7-5 this year and were 4-8 2 years ago they are not Pete Carrolls USC. We have better 5 year records than Maryland, Rutgers, UCLA (new coach), it was a down year for the team but they also are going to be returning 19-20 starters.

So you think more Gopher fans are going to watch them play in the Missouriv Valley for FB and Summit for BB? Come on, but it is fun to dream.
Likely make more NCAA tournaments going this direction.

Are you just talking about football here? We are obviously competitive in hockey, and always will be.

Likely make more NCAA tournaments going this direction.
So you want the Football team to play in a conference with the average attendance of 10k a game? Guess what that does to the non revenue sports and leave a huge payday with the network going forward. They are going to have to pivot and change the ways they do things to compete.

I like most fans want to play football at the top level. FCS is great but i would bet outside of the dakota's taking over the stadium they would not draw more than 10k a game.

For Example

Minnesota-21 programs/teams

SDSU-16
UND-15
NDSU-14

Ill let you decided which 5-7 additional teams need to get cut.

Are you just talking about football here? We are obviously competitive in hockey, and always will be.
My original post is a local dream for new hockey conference that would be the most exciting conference around that would allow fans to travel more and be better for the STUDENTS. Unfortunately the Big Ten prevents the Gophers, but with all these teams joining the Big Ten it would be an opportunity for the U to leave and to get the most exciting hockey conference. Unfortunately, college sports are now all about $$$$$$ and $$$$ only.

Something like this could happen after Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State leave the Big Ten for the new Super/ Premier League of college football. Kick them, along with Notre Dame, out of Big Ten hockey and start over with a new hockey conference.

Top Bottom