Juco Ge'Shun Harris?

Reaction score
Per 1500 Notebook (4/5 practice):

Harris getting some special love from Kill...

After a two-practice absence, the brown "Minnesota Loafers" jerseys --reserved for players who have not met team expectations - were out in full force Tuesday. Four players were in brown, notably senior defensive end Anthony Jacobs and junior receiver Ge'Shun Harris.

Any views on how Harris is contributing/progressing at WR?

Say it aint so, Hayo

Well, from all reports, Harris stood out during winter conditioning, so I guess that would already make him different than Hayo, who apparently did the opposite when coaches got to see him. Plus he's actually here for spring ball his first year.

Kill got pissed at the media for looking too far into these brown shirts, so let's not do the same here. It's not like these players are in Kill's doghouse, and as Bennett said on PA's show this morning, it's usually for being late to a class. Kill keeps tabs of the players making it to class on time.

Boy, it's always nice to see people ripping on a Gopher player that they have not seen practice, let alone play in a game.

He could have gotten the jersey for:

1) dropping a wide open pass;
2) fumbling;
3) not sprinting back to the huddle or a confab;
4) being late for breakfast;
5) being late for practice;
6) being late for class;
7) having a cell phone in the Bierman building;
8) etc., etc., ETC.

Good grief, let's cut him now before he kills again. A worthy thread.:blah:

Boy, it's always nice to see people ripping on a Gopher player that they have not seen practice, let alone play in a game.

He could have gotten the jersey for:

1) dropping a wide open pass;
2) fumbling;
3) not sprinting back to the huddle or a confab;
4) being late for breakfast;
5) being late for practice;
6) being late for class;
7) having a cell phone in the Bierman building;
8) etc., etc., ETC.

Good grief, let's cut him now before he kills again. A worthy thread.:blah:

WOW, thanks Captain Overreaction!:rolleyes:

Say it aint so, Hayo

C'mon now.

Harris could do nothing and not be the let down that Hayo was. Hayo was a 5 star kid who we knew wouldn't have impact from about the 3rd or 4th practice.

Harris will get some PT this season and barring a drastic impact by a couple true freshman, will see a ton of PT next year.

I don't know much about Harris, but he's from an ASU pipeline and went to juco in AZ. ASU has 3 or 4 receivers in this 2012 class already and has several WR's that are seniors this season. It's a position of need. If they didn't take him, and they get just about every Corona Centennial kid they want it seems like, it makes me think that perhaps he isn't where he needs to be right now.

I wouldn't expect him to be ready to play a whole lot right away.

I don't know much about Harris, but he's from an ASU pipeline and went to juco in AZ. ASU has 3 or 4 receivers in this 2012 class already and has several WR's that are seniors this season. It's a position of need. If they didn't take him, and they get just about every Corona Centennial kid they want it seems like, it makes me think that perhaps he isn't where he needs to be right now.

I wouldn't expect him to be ready to play a whole lot right away.

He did start his career at ASU.

Just thought i finally step in and help you guys on this kid. I watched this kid play football from his freshman year til his senior year. My son Ricky Marvray plays WR at UCLA and played aside of this kid his whole 4 years of school. I joined every message board there is to stay on top of how things were going for this kid. He's faced a lot of adversity and i mean A LOT. Was still apart of the team but he didn't play his sophomore and junior year of high school which really hurt him. Come back his senior year and does great, goes for 122 in their state championship game which drew a lot of scouts his way. ASU starting linebackers are his best friends and they all once lived together. He and Vontaze Burfict were the closest of the bunch and both had pretty bad grades and did not play during their sophomore year. VB got it and Harris didn't. To cut it shore he ended his senior year with one offer from New Mexico and a Coaches walk-on at ASU and i'm pretty sure that is why VB made his switch from USC to ASU.

I tell you what youtube his high school tape and tell me this kid doesn't have skills. On top of that Nebraska's Taylor Martinez was their QB. I'd have more faith, and according to GopherIllustrated, he had a great day of practice today.

He did start his career at ASU.

I was under the impression he was never on the team. He was going to walk on, but he was ineligible. He certainly was never on scholarship.

I have nothing against the guy and hope he does very well. The point was that ASU must have taken a long, hard look at him and passed. I wouldn't expect immediate results. He probably needs some work yet. I wouldn't expect him to be the typical JuCo plug in and play sort of player.

Also, to the poster above, Burfict switched to ASU because of Lyons and Magee, and ASU's "Scholar Baller" program. The whole group has stuck together as best they can. Jarrid Bryant is in Tempe now as well. Logan does a great job pumping out players. I guess it sort of raises flags to me then that they didn't offer Harris, but just offered another big IE receiver from Upland.

Also, I'm curious. What's your son's impression of Hundley? The real deal?

WOW, thanks Captain Overreaction!:rolleyes:

Excuse me? From two guys that don't "get it" at all? The creation of this thread was an overreaction. My post was sarcasm. People like to rip on players because it makes them feel big about themselves. Unfortunately, they are small, small men. Harris is like anyone else on this team, and will learn. He will be fine.

Just thought i finally step in and help you guys on this kid. I watched this kid play football from his freshman year til his senior year. My son Ricky Marvray plays WR at UCLA and played aside of this kid his whole 4 years of school. I joined every message board there is to stay on top of how things were going for this kid. He's faced a lot of adversity and i mean A LOT. Was still apart of the team but he didn't play his sophomore and junior year of high school which really hurt him. Come back his senior year and does great, goes for 122 in their state championship game which drew a lot of scouts his way. ASU starting linebackers are his best friends and they all once lived together. He and Vontaze Burfict were the closest of the bunch and both had pretty bad grades and did not play during their sophomore year. VB got it and Harris didn't. To cut it shore he ended his senior year with one offer from New Mexico and a Coaches walk-on at ASU and i'm pretty sure that is why VB made his switch from USC to ASU.

I tell you what youtube his high school tape and tell me this kid doesn't have skills. On top of that Nebraska's Taylor Martinez was their QB. I'd have more faith, and according to GopherIllustrated, he had a great day of practice today.
Great info!

I really hope this young man has a nice Gopher career, I think coach kill and staff will seve him well. Per Rivals he had no offers out of high school and after his time at Arizona Western CC he had a dozen schools/offers to choose from, Minnesota being the only BCS school. Considering he missed two critical years of high school football, had no offers after high school and then received 12 D1 offers after his JUCCO career I'd say his skill set and play making ability is trending in a very positive direction.

Only time will tell but at this point there is no reason to assume immediate results are out of the question, I could really care less who did'nt offer him for whatever reason they had.

I was under the impression he was never on the team. He was going to walk on, but he was ineligible. He certainly was never on scholarship.

I have nothing against the guy and hope he does very well. The point was that ASU must have taken a long, hard look at him and passed. I wouldn't expect immediate results. He probably needs some work yet. I wouldn't expect him to be the typical JuCo plug in and play sort of player.

Also, to the poster above, Burfict switched to ASU because of Lyons and Magee, and ASU's "Scholar Baller" program. The whole group has stuck together as best they can. Jarrid Bryant is in Tempe now as well. Logan does a great job pumping out players. I guess it sort of raises flags to me then that they didn't offer Harris, but just offered another big IE receiver from Upland.

Also, I'm curious. What's your son's impression of Hundley? The real deal?

Yes, he was apart of fall camp and he and he and Burfict reported together, theres pictures on google to prove so.

Obviously as a sun devil fan i see you follow up on things. Now I wont say your information is wrong because yes those two reasons did play their part, but if you knew these two kids like I do you'd know more about the whole situation. Kids start to get recruited in their junior seasons, which he did not play, on top of that grades were a huge issue. Most teams offer guys in their junior seasons, recruit them hard and by their senior season their already committing. Well in his situation, he was depending on his senior season. And when you have talent like their 2009 team did, your not racking up 1,000 yards easily because you have so many D1 athletes on the field. my son actually set records that year, but he was also a 3 year starter. They were once mentioned as the top WR tandem in So Cal.

By the way ASU didn't offer my son, but tell me which WR from that 2009 class has started a game there. And My son is loving everything going on in Bruin country and is looking forward to a big season.

Yes, he was apart of fall camp and he and he and Burfict reported together, theres pictures on google to prove so.

Obviously as a sun devil fan i see you follow up on things. Now I wont say your information is wrong because yes those two reasons did play their part, but if you knew these two kids like I do you'd know more about the whole situation. Kids start to get recruited in their junior seasons, which he did not play, on top of that grades were a huge issue. Most teams offer guys in their junior seasons, recruit them hard and by their senior season their already committing. Well in his situation, he was depending on his senior season. And when you have talent like their 2009 team did, your not racking up 1,000 yards easily because you have so many D1 athletes on the field. my son actually set records that year, but he was also a 3 year starter. They were once mentioned as the top WR tandem in So Cal.

By the way ASU didn't offer my son, but tell me which WR from that 2009 class has started a game there. And My son is loving everything going on in Bruin country and is looking forward to a big season.

I'll obviously defer to you on it since you know the guy. Just saying it is a bit puzzling given his proximity to the Sun Devil program and it being a position where they'll have 4 seniors departing after this season.

In regards to your son, I thought ASU did offer but he committed to UCLA fairly early on. Scout.com said ASU did offer, so I assumed we did. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read. It seems to be working out pretty well for your son though if he was getting starts as a RS FR, so congratulations to you on that.

He is a good athlete, not a burner, but a good athlete. Made a good move on a corner after a catch in the flat today. He and Gray teamed up for a nice pass between under and over coverage in the deep flat, midway through the scrimmage.
Needs a lot of work on knowing the plays. Coach Poore spends more time with him than any other player. Easily the second best WR (not counting Marcus J in that group), and can probably be helped by good coaching in the short term more than anyone else at the position.
Just my opinion.

Good info. Mentioning harris with burfict raises an interesting reaction in me considering burfict's supposed pedigree. I believe Kill is very high on Haris- he was one of Kill's recruits after all. Sometimes you are hardest on the ones you like the best.

I'll obviously defer to you on it since you know the guy. Just saying it is a bit puzzling given his proximity to the Sun Devil program and it being a position where they'll have 4 seniors departing after this season.

The rule of thumb is that you recruit JUCO players for immediate needs, if you have four seniors coming back, you recruit freshmen and redshirt them so that they will be able to contribute for four years. If the freshmen don't develop, then ASU may go the JUCO route after this year, but last year it didn't make sense.

The rule of thumb is that you recruit JUCO players for immediate needs, if you have four seniors coming back, you recruit freshmen and redshirt them so that they will be able to contribute for four years. If the freshmen don't develop, then ASU may go the JUCO route after this year, but last year it didn't make sense.

Harris should have 3 years left or 3 to play 2, but point taken.

Some great info in this thread. Thanks to the Cali/AZ guys for filling us in on his situation!

IF you watch him at practice you will see:
1) he is not a burner, but he is a very good athlete.
2) He has good ,not great hands at this point.
3) He has a lot of natural ability to make moves after the catch, but he also has a lot of technique to learn.
4) comparing him to Green:
a) Harris is bigger and stronger
b) Green has better hands
c) speed is similar
d) Green runs better routes at the moment
e) If Green is healthy he may be the starter this year, by next year I think I would bet on Harris. harris strength and height will be a real asset when he improves his fundamentals.
f) He will improve, because he will have to play this year, we are that thin.
g) Any receiver healthy enough to play is getting a lot of work, because there are not many of them on the team.

Corc: Based on what you've seen so far in practice...

IF you watch him at practice you will see:
1) he is not a burner, but he is a very good athlete.
2) He has good ,not great hands at this point.
3) He has a lot of natural ability to make moves after the catch, but he also has a lot of technique to learn.
4) comparing him to Green:
a) Harris is bigger and stronger
b) Green has better hands
c) speed is similarcome
d) Green runs better routes at the moment
e) If Green is healthy he may be the starter this year, by next year I think I would bet on Harris. harris strength and height will be a real asset when he improves his fundamentals.
f) He will improve, because he will have to play this year, we are that thin.
g) Any receiver healthy enough to play is getting a lot of work, because there are not many of them on the team.

will this receiving group be BT-competitive by fall?

Can the inexperience gap be overcome by intensive coaching, hard work, preparation and effort?

Or, is the reality that Kill needs a few more recruiting years to develop some meaningful depth.

will this receiving group be BT-competitive by fall?

Can the inexperience gap be overcome by intensive coaching, hard work, preparation and effort?

Or, is the reality that Kill needs a few more recruiting years to develop some meaningful depth.

I know this question was aimed at Corc, but i'll throw my 2 cents in.

This will be the thinnest unit on this football team. McKnight is good enough that this unit isn't a complete disaster, but there really isn't any excuse for this little of depth at a certain position. IMO, it will be the biggest area of struggle this season.

Because of this unit, it really is important for us to stay out of a lot of 3rd and longs (like any team), but I do think we will struggle more than the average team at picking those up.

However, we aren't completely empty at receiving targets. McKnight is a huge talent and Lair is probably one of the better players on our team as well.

IMO, this unit could range from serviceable to disasterous based on two things...
#1: We absolutely NEED to stay healthy. If we have any injuries, we are in serious trouble.
#2: We need our non-McKnight receivers to be just serviceable. I don't expect Barker or Kiese to be in a ton of highlights, but they need to catch the balls that are thrown their way and they need to run proper routes (not cut off routes short of 1st downs).
#3: Emergence of one of these WR (Wilson, Hutton, Kiese, Harris, Green) to be a legitimate Big 10 threat.

Again, we really need to be imaginative withour play calling at times. We have certain guys who provide some matchup problems (McKnight 1on1 with anyone, Lair is a really tough cover, Jones with his speed, Harris and his size) that the right play call with proper execution will cover up some of our lack of talent/depth.

While inexperineced, we will certainly have bodies at the WR position. Add Lair to the mix as a "tweener," at we should have the right combination of size, speed, and pass catching ability. Jones will play for sure. X. Brandon will finally have his shot. Barker could be another Logan Payne. Crawford-Tufts or Gardener will see some time. By the end of next season, we'll wonder why we had this conversation...

82 Barker, A.J. WR 6-1 191 So. St. Paul, Minn. (De La Salle HS)
80 Brandon, Xzavian WR 6-3 181 Jr. Duluth, Ga. (Northview)
17 Cesario, C.J. WR 5-10 195 RFr. Arlington Heights, Ill. (St. Victor HS)
XX Crawford-Tufts, Devin WR 6-2 180 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Edina HS)
XX Gardener, Quentin WR 6-0 190 Fr. Denton, Texas (Guyer HS)
1 Green, Brandon WR 6-0 191 RJr. Chicago, Ill. (Robeson)
2 Harris, Ge'Shun WR 6-3 226 Jr. Corona, Calif. (Arizona Western College) (Centennial HS)
89 Hutton, Logan WR 6-1 177 RFr. La Marque, Texas (La Marque HS)
8 Jones, Marcus WR 5-8 168 Fr. Wake Forest, N.C. (Wake Forest-Rolesville HS)
84 Keise, Victor WR 6-1 174 So. Coral Springs, Fla. (North Broward Prep HS)
80 Kloss, Matt WR 6-0 192 Jr. Coon Rapids, Minn. (Northern State (S.D.))
6 McKnight, Da'Jon WR 6-3 214 Sr. Dallas, Texas (Skyline)
15 Wilson, Cameron WR 6-3 211 RFr. Rockwall, Texas (Rockwall Heath HS)

While inexperineced, we will certainly have bodies at the WR position. Add Lair to the mix as a "tweener," at we should have the right combination of size, speed, and pass catching ability. Jones will play for sure. X. Brandon will finally have his shot. Barker could be another Logan Payne. Crawford-Tufts or Gardener will see some time. By the end of next season, we'll wonder why we had this conversation...

82 Barker, A.J. WR 6-1 191 So. St. Paul, Minn. (De La Salle HS)
80 Brandon, Xzavian WR 6-3 181 Jr. Duluth, Ga. (Northview)
17 Cesario, C.J. WR 5-10 195 RFr. Arlington Heights, Ill. (St. Victor HS)
XX Crawford-Tufts, Devin WR 6-2 180 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Edina HS)
XX Gardener, Quentin WR 6-0 190 Fr. Denton, Texas (Guyer HS)
1 Green, Brandon WR 6-0 191 RJr. Chicago, Ill. (Robeson)
2 Harris, Ge'Shun WR 6-3 226 Jr. Corona, Calif. (Arizona Western College) (Centennial HS)
89 Hutton, Logan WR 6-1 177 RFr. La Marque, Texas (La Marque HS)
8 Jones, Marcus WR 5-8 168 Fr. Wake Forest, N.C. (Wake Forest-Rolesville HS)
84 Keise, Victor WR 6-1 174 So. Coral Springs, Fla. (North Broward Prep HS)
80 Kloss, Matt WR 6-0 192 Jr. Coon Rapids, Minn. (Northern State (S.D.))
6 McKnight, Da'Jon WR 6-3 214 Sr. Dallas, Texas (Skyline)
15 Wilson, Cameron WR 6-3 211 RFr. Rockwall, Texas (Rockwall Heath HS)

Pretty much disagree with this post completely. We have bodies, we have few players, only one polished player. 1)McKnight -very good receiver, not Decker, but really good. Decker knew how to go over people to get the ball, so far McKnight is fighting them one on one at the same height. 2) Harris-really good athlete, but an unpolished receiver. Will play a lot and be successful, but Coach Poore has a lot of work to do here. 3)Marcus Jones -Really fast, really small, and really a smart player. Just learning how to play receiver but will be a big contributer. Not really a WR, more of a slot receiver type player. 4) AJ Barker- can contribute if he can hold on to the ball. That has to be the one thing he can do every time. So far he has not gotten that done. 5)Q Gardener- Could be the sleeper of the recruiting class and we need one. Was a good receiver in HS before being shifted to CB after injury. Hopefully can play this year, we need him to play this year. 6)Hutton and Wilson- redshirts, they need to get bigger and faster. 7) Crawford -Tufts - probable redshirt. Has the speed and height to really help the team in the future, but not a very strong or mature player at this point. Let him grow up. 8) Lair- Your are right he will probably will play some WR. Based on the above, I do expect Lair to move all over as TE and WR. That is okay, he is a talent. 9) I really hope I am wrong, but I don't see the rest making a difference at least this year. I'll believe X Brandon is back when he is playing, because a back problem is a pretty serious problem for a football player.
Keeping the five probable contributors healthy is a big deal, especially McKnight and Harris. They are the only guys big and strong enough to be reliable WRs right now.

Top Bottom