Jovantae Hawkins (2012) has Gophers in top 5

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet from Marcus:

"Top 2012 player in Michigan, wing Jovantae Hawkins, tells Rivals.com that Gophers are in his top five, which includes Michigan and Dayton."

Go Gophers!!

anyone post a link? espn, rivals, scout, youtube? cant find this kid

anyone post a link? espn, rivals, scout, youtube? cant find this kid

Probably because Marcus has his name wrong - it's JaVontae.

Hawk reports offers from Michigan, Minnesota, Dayton, Iowa, South Florida, Central Michigan, Detroit, Oakland... this week listed his top 5: Mich #1, MN, Dayton, Iowa, South Florida rounding it out

It seems we have some players in out top 5 - It would be nice to get some strong verbals!

so what is this kid a 4 star, 3 star? can't find this kid on espn, and i dont subscribe to rivals. is he a shooter? slasher?

so what is this kid a 4 star, 3 star? can't find this kid on espn, and i dont subscribe to rivals. is he a shooter? slasher?

He's one of the top juniors in Michigan, which produces lots of basketball talent.

How Many Stars is meaningless.

Jovantae Hawkins 6-5 Jr Team Detroit (Flint Powers)
The three-point sniper and swooping first-step dunker is challenging for the No. 1. overall spot in the 2012 class, and has the high-major interest commiserate with such company.

found that tidbit, and from flint. He's prolly a tough kid. I like the sound of that summary.

If he's that good and he's from Flint, I'd say it's 95% he ends up at Michigan State.

Have we had a kid from Flint since Trent Tucker? (I believe Voshon Lenard went so HS in Detroit)

Have we had a kid from Flint since Trent Tucker? (I believe Voshon Lenard went so HS in Detroit)

XMan, Voshon did go to high school in Detroit (Southwestern). Gophers did get one other kid from Flint after Trent, John Wiley. (Help me out here, I'm 99% certain that John was Juco) Gophers don't get into Michigan at all anymore. The last time they got a Michigan recruit appears to be in the mid nineties. Dutcher had Gus Johnson, Bill Harmon, Trent Tucker, John Wiley, Roland Brooks, John Shasky, Kevin Smith....Haskins had Willie Burton, Connell Lewis, Terence Williams, Erik Wilson, Chris Clark, Voshon Lenard, David Washington, Sean Whitlock and Darrell Whaley. Darrell was 94-95. I certainly could have missed somebody. I guess I was surprised to see that Clem got in there more than Dutch, with Dutcher having his Michigan ties and all. Jucos would be Gus Johnson, Bill Harmon, John Wiley, Roland Brooks, I believe.

I believe Willie Burton was a Dutcher recruit

If he's that good and he's from Flint, I'd say it's 95% he ends up at Michigan State.

Kaminski ('12) is expected to commit 7/31
Harris ('12) is said by many to be a HEAVY MSU lean, and a top 30 player
Only have 3 available for that year.

Have already taken 2 comparable players in '11 in Anderson and Kearney, and is holding a 'ship for Dawson ('11). MSU has the 2 and 3 as almost interchangable and we are loaded at that position.
Having a limited number of open 'ships and that Izzo currently recruiting at a level we have yet to see untill now, means their is more than a handfull of top tier Michigan HS talent that would normally be offered being left on the outside looking in.

May offer in the future but the insiders in MI are not banking it.

Whoever gets'm though will not be dissapointed, unless its B________ that land's him.
Then it will be Hawkins as the one dissapointed. Its rough to go 4 years without ever beating your biggest rival. Ask Deshawn Sims and Manny Harris.

Kaminski ('12) is expected to commit 7/31
Harris ('12) is said by many to be a HEAVY MSU lean, and a top 30 player
Only have 3 available for that year.

Have already taken 2 comparable players in '11 in Anderson and Kearney, and is holding a 'ship for Dawson ('11). MSU has the 2 and 3 as almost interchangable and we are loaded at that position.
Having a limited number of open 'ships and that Izzo currently recruiting at a level we have yet to see untill now, means their is more than a handfull of top tier Michigan HS talent that would normally be offered being left on the outside looking in.

May offer in the future but the insiders in MI are not banking it.

Whoever gets'm though will not be dissapointed, unless its B________ that land's him.
Then it will be Hawkins as the one dissapointed. Its rough to go 4 years without ever beating your biggest rival. Ask Deshawn Sims and Manny Harris.

Thanks for this response. Very interesting.

Top Bottom