Josh Perkins and Vaughn Package

I'd take 4 guards. Didn't Nova ride 4 to an elite 8 2005-2006?
+2 Do you suppose if all four said they were ready to commit to the Gophers Pitino would tell any of them no. Come on these are top 25 type players, guards or not. On a side note I can't believe anyone is worried about this senario. We are not Kentucky.

It's one package deal of Vaughn/Perkins or Whitehead/Newton. If one of the duos comes here, the other will immediately turn their interests elsewhere. This is good for us as it adds pressure to commit here earlier if they really want to be here, before the other package takes their spots.

If I were a betting man: Newton/Whitehead commit to Minnesota in September, Perkins/Vaughn go to UCLA in the spring

You guys must be smokin' some good sh1t. Your doin' a Tyus dream all over again. :rolleyes:

It's one package deal of Vaughn/Perkins or Whitehead/Newton. If one of the duos comes here, the other will immediately turn their interests elsewhere. This is good for us as it adds pressure to commit here earlier if they really want to be here, before the other package takes their spots.

If I were a betting man: Newton/Whitehead commit to Minnesota in September, Perkins/Vaughn go to UCLA in the spring

I think if I'm betting, I'm sadly still leaning towards us landing none of the 4. I think we get JP, maybe Reid, and someone else. In any case, I think we'll end up with a solid class, and possibly even a top 20-30 class. I think 2015 is where the real damage will be done, after the staff has a full year.

Regardless, I am just incredibly enthused that these things are possible. A year ago, it seemed like we'd forever be relegated to maybe 2 or 3 top 150 kids a year being interested in us, now there are bunches of them interested and mentioning us.

I would rather let Oto go, but if you bring in four guards, one forward and let another forward go, than we would be awfully thin in front court. Plus McNeil was brought in as a body IMO since he's not a PG. Anyways it's an unlikely scenario if we get Newton and Whitehead, I doubt we get Perkins and if Vaughn and Perk are serious about playing together we would probably lose out on Vaughn as well, but I think Newton and Whitehead will stay longer which allows Pitino to build the program. I would be just fine with Macura, Whitehead, Newton and Travis, but would love to get Vaughn. If we over recruit it would be a nice problem to have

+2 Do you suppose if all four said they were ready to commit to the Gophers Pitino would tell any of them no. Come on these are top 25 type players, guards or not. On a side note I can't believe anyone is worried about this senario. We are not Kentucky.

None of are even saying it is a problem. We are saying that it is highly unlikely to get all four. We are also saying that Mcneil and Mathieu would likely not be the ones to go.

I would rather let Oto go, but if you bring in four guards, one forward and let another forward go, than we would be awfully thin in front court. Plus McNeil was brought in as a body IMO since he's not a PG. Anyways it's an unlikely scenario if we get Newton and Whitehead, I doubt we get Perkins and if Vaughn and Perk are serious about playing together we would probably lose out on Vaughn as well, but I think Newton and Whitehead will stay longer which allows Pitino to build the program. I would be just fine with Macura, Whitehead, Newton and Travis, but would love to get Vaughn. If we over recruit it would be a nice problem to have

I don't think McNeil is a body at all. Smith and maybe Mathieu are bodies. Why would we bring in a true freshmen only for him to be a body. Yes, he could end up being a body however, no way does a coach just bring in a true freshmen body to ride the bench. He generally believes that McNeil will be a good player, otherwise we wouldn't have signed him

A bit too much talk of forcing current players to leave. Unless they're already looking to go of their own accord, I would hope that we would not be pushing them out the door.

Sure, it happens, but it looks bad for future recruits, and it feels gross. Even if scholarships are year-to-year commitments, as long as a player isn't getting in trouble and is doing what he needs to do in the classroom, it's basically assumed he will get his 4 years and to change that would look bad to future recruits. We're not a Kentucky, etc, where we can help show someone the door and replace them the next minute with a 5 star- we need, and should value, solid four year players. If we can sprinkle in some elite players, that's even better, obviously.

A bit too much talk of forcing current players to leave. Unless they're already looking to go of their own accord, I would hope that we would not be pushing them out the door.

Sure, it happens, but it looks bad for future recruits, and it feels gross. Even if scholarships are year-to-year commitments, as long as a player isn't getting in trouble and is doing what he needs to do in the classroom, it's basically assumed he will get his 4 years and to change that would look bad to future recruits. We're not a Kentucky, etc, where we can help show someone the door and replace them the next minute with a 5 star- we need, and should value, solid four year players. If we can sprinkle in some elite players, that's even better, obviously.

There would be no pushing necessary to make room for a class of 2-4 recruits in 2014.
Austin Hollins, Malik Smith, and Rakeem Buckles will be graduating.

There would be no pushing necessary to make room for a class of 2-4 recruits in 2014.
Austin Hollins, Malik Smith, and Rakeem Buckles will be graduating.

I know; I was just referring to all of the talk in this thread of pushing players out.

I don't think McNeil is a body at all. Smith and maybe Mathieu are bodies. Why would we bring in a true freshmen only for him to be a body. Yes, he could end up being a body however, no way does a coach just bring in a true freshmen body to ride the bench. He generally believes that McNeil will be a good player, otherwise we wouldn't have signed him

I think McNeil will be a solid player. As far as I can tell, he does everything well except shoot. Takes the ball to hole extremely well, yet I would call him a defense first player. Not sure he will ever start, but has a B1G body, and should get minutes right away.

I think McNeil will be a solid player. As far as I can tell, he does everything well except shoot. Takes the ball to hole extremely well, yet I would call him a defense first player. Not sure he will ever start, but has a B1G body, and should get minutes right away.

Really? With Andre, Malik, Austin, Mav, and Mathieu all in the backcourt, I'm thinking he won't get much court time this season. Not saying he isn't good, but we have a lot of competition at the 2 guard spots.

Really? With Andre, Malik, Austin, Mathieu all in the backcourt, I'm thinking he won't get much court time this season. Not saying he isn't good, but we have a lot of competition at the 2 guard spots.

It's hard to say, especially if Dre and Austin get 30 minutes which they should. He is a good rebounder for his size, so technically he can play all 3 guard positions. Put me down that he will sneak on the court 8-10 minutes per game.

Absolutely.....you could never roll the dice that way by closing the door on Whitehead and Newton in hopes of landing Vaughn later.

Would it be fair to say that the domino's will fall once Mudley commits, given the rationale earlier in this thread? If so, has he given any indication of when he would commit? If Mudlay goes to Kentucky and Tyus/Okafor go to Duke, then that opens up the door to Vaughn/Perkins? Would Vaughn stick to the package deal if Perkins wasn't offered by Kentucky? Or could Vaughn potentially go to Kentucky alone? I haven't read the same sort of conviction in their "package deal" as Tyus/Okafor.

I don't believe he's got an offer from Kentucky but there was an article on a kentucky site that said that Perkins would be happy to play with Mudiay, I have a feeling he wants to go to Kentucky but if they don't offer he will go elsewhere.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2013/06/19/josh-perkins-father-talks-calipari-recruiting-more/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Josh Perkins Cuts to Five; Vaughn Package*&^!#Unlikely <a href="http://t.co/6O6wJzN2yL">http://t.co/6O6wJzN2yL</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/360094061216010240">July 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My guess at his ranking of the 5 teams right now:
1. Kentucky - no brainer if they offer him by August 25th
2. Gonzaga - seems like he is really high on them and they've been after him a while
3. Minnesota
3. UCLA
5. UCONN

This could be good news for the Newton/Whitehead/Vaughn triumvirate.

If we somehow got this guy that would probably take us out of the Whitehead/Newton race, but would it also take us out of the Vaughn race if they are not planning on packaging?

Or is that just fancy talk for "we are going to have separate recruitment and if we both end up at the same place then that's just great."

I mean, obviously if this guy wants to come here we are in absolutely no position to turn him away in hopes of landing Newton & Whitehead. I'll take the #40ish player in the country in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom