Joseph belongs on the pine

shootstraight

Reaction score
Joseph is the reincarnation of Westbrook and we cant afford to let him shoot from the perimeter. The only thing he brings is the ability to take the ball to the hoop. Terrible defender and very poor decision maker. How many off balance, airball three point shots can he take before he realizes that perhaps he should focus on penetrating the ball and looking to pass. He may end up winning one game for us this year but he will cost us four. Nice to see Tubby sit his ass for the majority of the last two minutes.

8 assists and 1 turnover is really bad I guess. Plus when Nolen tries to enter it to the post we struggle because his guy sags off of him so bad. 6-13 shooting, granted 1-5 from three but he was hardly the only one to struggle from there.

Agree completely. I thought he played better tonight offensively but the tough, long three kill me. He also couldn't guard most high school guards. He belongs in a conference where you don't need to know how to play defense, like the ACC.

You're a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#in moron. What is this board's problem with guys that can create their own shot? Someone has to do it, and he did it damn well tonight.

Can we stop acting like the world is ending? It's perfectly acceptable to lose in Wisconsin, most people do. It's a long season.

edit- LOL I just noticed he had 8 assists and 1 TO tonight. Some people just have their head up their ass I guess.

8 assists and 1 turnover is really bad I guess. Plus when Nolen tries to enter it to the post we struggle because his guy sags off of him so bad. 6-13 shooting, granted 1-5 from three but he was hardly the only one to struggle from there.

+1

I know his defense was shaky, but he made some shots in/near the paint. Nolan DIDNT SCORE and had more fouls than assists. Other than good defense, Al really had a terrible game on the offensive side of the ball

Why didn't we go to the three guard lineup leaves me a little perplexed.

IMO, Devoe played fine. some great passes and some great finishes at the hoop. Al still doesn't look fully back yet, we will see as the season goes on, but other than Devoe's ice cold shooting and playing a little slow on D, I thought he played well. Those "bad" shots are ones he often makes, just a rough night shooting for him.

Wow, I thought he played an overall great game. Posts like this always come out of the woodwork after a loss.

8 assists and 1 turnover is a pretty good stat line, but stats don't always tell the story. He did make mostly good decisions with the ball tonight but he just can't make take so many of those tough shots. terribly inefficient considering the other pieces on our team. Drive and kick or let the big guys rebound. He did it a fews with great results. If it works go to it until the well runs dry!

14 points, 7 assists, 4 rebs, 1 TO in 21 minutes. Devoe was our best player tonight and showed the ability to play the PG position.

Al's line: 0-6, 0 points, 2 assists, 6 rebs in 22 minutes.

The amount of Joseph hate on this board is absolutely alarming. It really makes me question how much alot of fans really know about basketball. To the thread creator, I am sorry, you are a moron. Stop posting.

In fairness to Devoe, he was fouled pretty badly on one of his 3's. I thought he played pretty well tonight with the exception of some poor shots/decisions early.

Most of his bad contested shots were as the shot clock was running out, do you people even watch these games?

Exactly, drive instead of taking the shots. He get's the ball with 3-5 seconds, dribbles and takes a 22 footer. Drive instead every now and then. Can't be worse than the near airballs our team puts up repeatedly in those situations.

Did you miss the times he drove to the hoop? Remember the announcers praising his finishing ability? Holy balls.

Joseph is the reincarnation of Westbrook and we cant afford to let him shoot from the perimeter. The only thing he brings is the ability to take the ball to the hoop. Terrible defender and very poor decision maker. How many off balance, airball three point shots can he take before he realizes that perhaps he should focus on penetrating the ball and looking to pass. He may end up winning one game for us this year but he will cost us four. Nice to see Tubby sit his ass for the majority of the last two minutes.

As an opponent I completely agree with this assessment.

Exactly, drive instead of taking the shots. He get's the ball with 3-5 seconds, dribbles and takes a 22 footer. Drive instead every now and then. Can't be worse than the near airballs our team puts up repeatedly in those situations.

that's my only complaint of his game tonight. He played great, but his shots just weren't falling. I know he is confident as he should be, he has a great jumper, but he was getting to the hoop with ease.

Great game though, he left it all out on the floor.

Nope, already referred to those earlier. I still think we settle for those shots (as a team, not just Joseph) way to much. How many times does a team like Wisconsin settle for a dribble the shot clock out and launch a prayer shot? My whole point to my argument is that it's a low percentage option that hurts our chances against a well coached team that milks as much out of each possession as possible.

Nope, already referred to those earlier. I still think we settle for those shots (as a team, not just Joseph) way to much. How many times does a team like Wisconsin settle for a dribble the shot clock out and launch a prayer shot? My whole point to my argument is that it's a low percentage option that hurts our chances against a well coached team that milks as much out of each possession as possible.

You weren't watching if you didn't see Wisconsin hit and miss contested jumpers with clock winding down. I Joseph hits 2 more of those, which he does frequently, nobody is talking about this. Did you miss all the points in the paint?

You weren't watching if you didn't see Wisconsin hit and miss contested jumpers with clock winding down. I Joseph hits 2 more of those, which he does frequently, nobody is talking about this. Did you miss all the points in the paint?

Their made three were mostly off of penetration and passing. I believe Taylor took maybe 2 of "Gophers" shots and I think he made one. The difference there is his defender had switched and was being guarded by Ralph or someone else who wasn't his initial defender.

Thats not particular to this season though. That has been par for the course under Tubby. The offense generally lacks movement.

I'm glad to see that most people see that Devoe did not have a bad game. I thought he handled the ball much better ( 1 turnover ). In fact, this was the first time that I had the feeling he showed he could handle the point. He puts another shooter on the floor.

I love how all of the posters who don't understand basketball come out after losses. Joseph may not have been pretty at times, but that's how he plays. He puts up an off-balance shot that you think has no chance and it goes in. The next possession he does the same thing and it's nowhere close. He had a fine game.

Granted the fact that Devoe shoots some ill-advised shots and isn't an on the ball defender like Al, he is one of the few players on the team who can actually create his own shot and make something happen at the end of the shot clock. He kept us in games last year and will continue to do so this year. Had he made two more shots, this thread would never had been created!

Devoe Joseph

Thought he was, overall, your best player on the floor. Great production in limited minutes. Don't know that he's as strong an on-the-ball defender as Nolen but certainly was a handful all told.

Joseph needs to play more, not less. Nolen is too much of an offensive liability, and this 'great on ball defense' meme needs to be put to rest as well.

Chill out on Joseph and Rodney. Plenty of other players took quick shots and missed too so it wasn't only him. Plenty of other players also gave up three's to the other team also. If he had made a couple of those quick shots you would be saying how great he played. I like Rodney's defense and he does have the ability to create his own shot he just needs to do it more often. I think if he did he would be on the foul line a bunch.

The amount of Joseph hate on this board is absolutely alarming. It really makes me question how much alot of fans really know about basketball. To the thread creator, I am sorry, you are a moron.

+1000 Joseph is one of our best players yet the conservative Minnesotan types cannot help but to rag on him, because dare I say, he has some flare and aggressiveness in his game. God forbid the Gophers have a player with Moxie.

Somewhat off topic

Play of the game was either DevoeJo's pass to Mbakwe or Chip's lay-up. Both were sweet.

Top Bottom