Jon Gruden

From an enthusiasm and in-game x's and o's standpoint I like it but let's remember that Gruden has always hated inexperience QB's and I don't see how he could possibly be patient in developing college Qb's.

I don't think he would have any interest at all.

I could be wrong. I remember reading that he turned down the OC position at ORegon last year, so maybe that changes to be a Head Coach.

I also am not sure how well he would do. Remember that Bill Callahan who ran a type of offense that didn't really make sense in the college game (think Fisch) was his offensive coordinator for years and Gruden is notorious for being hard on QBs and developing really complicated offensive game plans. Now, he would have to adapt and that's possible, I just think he is much better served in the pro game.

The man, The myth, The Chuckie!

I am telling you if I were J.M. I would at least put a call in on him. I gotta believe he wants to coach again, and something tells me that he could adapt and would make a great college coach.

Just because we are the Gophers, does not mean we have to dance with the ugly chick all the time. You will never get lucky with the hot girl if you don't at least ask.

Keep dreaming.... he seems to be enjoying his TV gig right now... all the exposure he needs to keep in the mix but little pressure compared to a coaching job, and he's well-paid.

When he coaches again, I would suspect it's back to the NFL.

Chuckie is another guy, like Troy Calhoun, that supposedly turned down the Tennessee job.

While I'd rather coach at Minnesota than Tennessee, I'm guessing that's not normal preference for most of these guys.

I'd like to see it, just don't think it's happening.

Gruden would be another Holtz...

He'd come in, turn things around for two years, and then bolt for Notre Dame.

After he is our coach and we beat Wisconsin, the headlines in Madison would read..."Badgers Chuckie Cheesed!"

And to the people who say he would never come here, I have two words for you, Tubby Smith

Not really interested in bringing in a high profile NFL guy, although he'd definitely be a colorful hire.

I can't really see him being willing to stay here for very long though if he did have success.

I say ask him. His hire would fire up the fan base and the local media. His name recognition would help recruiting immediately and he's a good coach. If he built up the program and left for Notre Dame....well...lets worry about that later.

Well the first thing he'd want to do is install a west coast offense and a 4-3 defense. And then there's the question of just how good a coach is he? Many people credit Tampa's Super Bowl victory primarily to Monte Kiffin, and say that Gruden was just the beneficiary of that stellar defense, and that the sideline grimaces and colorful persona don't necessarily equate to a great football coach.

I don't really know one way or the other, but get the feeling either way that he's probably a little bit too 'big time' to step down to college football, possibly even more so at a place like Minnesota. That's just total supposition though. I have no idea what he wants or might want to do.

But if we were going for former NFL coaches and so long as we're in the realm of dreaming, give me Bill Cowher everyday and twice on Saturdays. Now *that* guy can coach, and there is no doubt but of that. :)

Could you imagine him having to field questions from our media? I don't think he could look down his nose enough every time they opened their mouth.

I'm guessing Gruden is holding out for another pro job. But, IF he actually came, I bet he would be brilliant or a complete disaster. No 7-5 or 6-6 records like Mason. Just my gut feeling.

Could you imagine him having to field questions from our media? I don't think he could look down his nose enough every time they opened their mouth.

That's why we need a big name like a Gruden. Gruden wouldn't have to do that, because the media would treat him totally different than Mason or Brew. Then, the average sports rube in town would start to pay the Gophers some respect, instead of them being the usual punching bag. Trust me.

I completely agree with Josh, as evidenced by the minnesota media's love affair with Tubby Smith. However, I don't think it would be even within the realm of possibility that John Gruden would take this job. He would need to be paid SEC caliber of money (probably more).

I completely agree with Josh, as evidenced by the minnesota media's love affair with Tubby Smith. However, I don't think it would be even within the realm of possibility that John Gruden would take this job. He would need to be paid SEC caliber of money (probably more).

This is true - there is no way Gruden comes here, and money is only part of it.

he is really good color guy on MNF

he kind of steals the show fro Jaworski

Just like Tubby Smith would never come here right?

I was thinking about Jon and what he would do to the media here, would be great to see him laugh in the face of that idiot Barreiro. Would be classic! :)

I think the man would attract talent here like crazy and be able to develop it as well.

Money should not be an issue in finding the correct coach for this university.

Just like Tubby Smith would never come here right?

I was thinking about Jon and what he would do to the media here, would be great to see him laugh in the face of that dumb ass Barreiro. Would be classic! :)

I think the man would attract talent here like crazy and be able to develop it as well.

Money should not be an issue in finding the correct coach for this university.

Exactly. What high school recruit would NOT want to play for Jon Gruden. In a brand new stadium.

If the U was able to get Gruden tomorrow, as much as I do like Brewster and would like to give him the year, Gruden would be someone you'd make sure not to lose.

And Kiffin Vs. Gruden next year? Both former raider coaches. Monte Kiffin was Jon's former D-coordinator (current USC D-coordinator). Nice little story line.

If somehow the U landed Gruden, that would be incredible to me. Gruden helps out with his sons high school team, so he must enjoy somewhat helping the younger kids out.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I never thought we could land Tubby either ...

The Gruden/Chuckie similarity

We need a coach with some attitude:

gruden.jpg

vs.

chuckie_doll.jpg

Oh you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout i'm telling you why . . .Chu...ckie is comen to town. He sees you when your sleeping, he knows when your awake, he knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!

Jon Gruden come on down!

Dear Jon Gruden,

You seem like the kind of guy that loves a challenge. Allow me to introduce you to the University of Minnesota Golden Gopher Football program.

Sincerely,

A Life-Long Gopher Fan

He coached at Green Bay and loved the cold! Chuckie!!!Chuckie!!!Chuckie!!!Chuckie!!!Chuckie!!!Chuckie!!!

The more I think about this, the more it would be perfect.

God, save me from delusions of grandeur.

Top Bottom