Jon Crispin said Gophers could have advanced to the Elite Eight a year ago with Carr

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

ESPN color commentator Jon Crispin went a step further, saying before the U’s win over Oklahoma State earlier this season that they could have advanced to the Elite Eight a year ago with Carr.

Carr’s level of production was evident in practice last season, but it was behind the scenes when he brought a “very rare” level of intensity to the U’s scout team, Pitino said.

‘He is a bit of a throwback,” Pitino said. “He has got that confidence and that ‘it’ factor that you try to find in recruiting.”

Gophers guard Payton Willis, who transferred in from Vanderbilt, sat out last season alongside Carr. They got extra workouts and watched road games together back in Minnesota. Carr showed out in practice or pick-up games.

“Marcus Carr is a dog,” Willis said. “He brings it every day, no matter what. … He has that drive in him. That is a great thing for our team. He sparks our team. He is our leader.”

Go Gophers!!

Maybe they would have advanced to the Final 4 if the Gophers & Nate Mason had elected to medically redshirt the 2017-18 campaign.

They wouldn't have beat Michigan St. with Carr, and the draw we had but we could've beaten a few other of the same seeded teams.

Impossible to say because they likely wouldn't have fallen on the same seed line either.

There is that could have word again. Should, if and but can also be used for the teams that did not get there.

Exactly. If Lombardi had been given the Giants job, Green Bay would never had the dynasty. Those words never mean anything to me. Who gets it done is all the matters.

My favorite is when a guy gets highly contested bucket or rebound:

"Keep that in mind. That could be the difference maker if this game is decided by 1 or 2 points."

... that's pretty much true for all the plays in a tight game...

This is funny as a couple weeks ago there was someone on the football board actually trying to argue that Carr would NOT have made last year's team better. :unsure:

This is funny as a couple weeks ago there was someone on the football board actually trying to argue that Carr would NOT have made last year's team better. :unsure:
I could care less if he could have. He did not.

Crispin is right. But one thing Crispin should know about MN sports already is that good things do not happen to MN sports. So...

Crispin is right. But one thing Crispin should know about MN sports already is that good things do not happen to MN sports. So...
Literally, every team that did not win can say if, could have, should have.

Highly doubt anyone made such a claim. Probably the claim was quite a bit different than that.

Wish I could find the thread. It definitely said "I am not convinced Carr would have made last year's team any better."

100% fact

Wish I could find the thread. It definitely said "I am not convinced Carr would have made last year's team any better."

100% fact
Exactly as I said -- such a claim is not at all the same thing as your false framing "Carr doesn't add anything".

Absolutely possible that Carr adds something, but that it doesn't make the team better in terms of W-L.

Exactly as I said -- such a claim is not at all the same thing as your false framing "Carr doesn't add anything".

Absolutely possible that Carr adds something, but that it doesn't make the team better in terms of W-L.

Possible? Quit being ridiculous. There is ZERO chance the Gophers don't win more games last year with another starter, especially a ballhandler.

Was it you spouting that on the football board? I've only seen one person taking this ridiculous stance. Must have been you.

There is ZERO chance the Gophers don't win more games last year with another starter, especially a ballhandler.
That's your opinion, and nothing more. Not objective, and not zero. But you are entitled to believe what you want to believe is the truth.

That's your opinion, and nothing more. Not objective, and not zero. But you are entitled to believe what you want to believe is the truth.

Surely we can't go back in time and prove it, but the fact that you're trying to take this stance is ludicrous.

What is objective is that Crispin shows very little higher logic when broadcasting a game.

See OK St game. The number of Crispin-isms is through the roof.

He is great at taking throughout an entire broadcast about nothing.

Would not put too much stock in his opinion aside from it is neat to see someone in the media is mentioning MN.

Exactly why you need to get off your high-horse. Just let it be

High horse? You seem like a reasonably sane person, which is why I'm really baffled. How could one argue that having a player who averages 18 pts/gm in Big Ten play would not impact win and losses? That's like saying Coffey wouldn't have made this year's team better.

Did you watch last season? We had wings bringing the ball up all year. This is not Hamburger Hill. Just admit you made a silly statement.

Are you watching the game now??? Did you watch the end of the Purdue game?

It's not objective. You believe whatever you want.

Are you watching the game now??? Did you watch the end of the Purdue game?

It's not objective. You believe whatever you want.

keep digging your grave. Yeah, I'm saying the guy who has 5 points, 4 rebounds and 6 assists in one half make a difference. Yeah, he makes stupid plays, but Amir tried to go to the hole out of control against 3 guys plenty of times.

The fact you are trying to support your argument with the Purdue game is even worse. Carr ran out of gas at the end after playing basically 50 minutes. He was also the reason we were in a position to win in the first place. What sane person could argue that a dude who scores 27 points at Mackey Arena is not positively impacting his team?

No player is perfect, but any team is better with a player like Marcus Carr.

Yeah, I'm saying the guy who has 5 points, 4 rebounds and 6 assists in one half make a difference. Yeah, he makes stupid plays, but Amir tried to go to the hole out of control against 3 guys plenty of times.
You haven't changed my mind, and this doesn't do any better.

You can't prove it objectively. The least you could do, if you were posting honestly, would be to say "I think", "in my opinion", etc. Not pretend something that isn't anywhere near objective actually is.

Is he also assuming Murphy stays healthy? Because if he still gets injured, I say we go out in the same spot.

Top Bottom