Johnson with Barreiro

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Some interesting comments. Big on having playmakers, players lead the program, etc.

The one ridiculous comment was Johnson saying coming from winning programs is important for guys they recruit when he has his history of losing and says that’s also good.

Barriero threw some softballs—Johnson hit most of them.

I think listening to him at this point is irrelevant honestly. If you don't like him (I dont) what he said was annoying. Talking about Heat Culture and when you know you have the right guy you keep him through good and bad. Get out of here with that, just win please. And if you're like RR you hear him say we need to build slow and it's ok that it takes time. Again for me it's pointless.

The one thing I did like to hear is his thoughts on the barn, stating they have never gotten or lost a kid because of Williams. And like he said no one complains at Duke or KU about old arenas because they win so it's a moot point. I agreed completely with his take on that.

Didn't hear all of it, but thought Ben did well with the questions. I liked his answer when asked if Williams Arena was a problem when recruiting players (he said "no").

Did Barreiro bring up the non-conference schedule by any chance?

Is there a recording or a transcript for the interview?

Feel free to google, but there have been players from other teams who have stated they dont feel comfortable playing on a raised floor. My guess is some recruits werent a fan of the raised floor either.

I also only heard part of the last segment...my takeaway was that Ben seemed more animated today. Quicker with his answers, more energetic, more confident...in fact delusionally confident to the point of knowing or certainly thinking he has a fourth year.

Anything about this year's team??

Feel free to google, but there have been players from other teams who have stated they dont feel comfortable playing on a raised floor. My guess is some recruits werent a fan of the raised floor either.
So they will not like playing in the Final 4. ;)

Barreiro wrote about 2 of the questions he asked yesterday. GMBB is way down on his list of priorities and it was a State Fair Annual Showing. Johnson can win here, but it's really an uphill battle at this point.

While others like performing on stage.

They did talk about some members of the team being in attendance and some recruits also. Would be interested to know which recruits showed up.

It'll be here
Thank you.
That was a very good interview. I am happy we have our entire team healthy after summer workouts.
Coach talked about getting the most out of every player, but he also referenced that there are great players and there are players with lower ceilings. I wonder where the ceilings are for his recruits. He may get the very most out of his players, but if their ceiling is lower than other players in the league, how can he realistically think that he will win in this league? Is Coach recruiting to the level where he can produce a winning program? Will AD Coyle show more patience if we don't win more than lose this season?

If not Danny B then there is no local media person who will turn the screws on Ben. Coyle is a genius.
I wouldn't put it past Danny B turning the heat up on him in an interview but Barrerio is also smart enough that when he does it, it won't be on live radio in front of fans at the State Fair. If he did that, his chances of getting any interviews with local sports coaches would be minimal.

Eh, I think that's because they're opponents (many times rivals). They're probably not going to come out and say they love it either. Other teams have done pretty well against the Gophers at Williams so it doesn't appear they're too uncomfortable with it either.

I wouldn't put it past Danny B turning the heat up on him in an interview but Barrerio is also smart enough that when he does it, it won't be on live radio in front of fans at the State Fair. If he did that, his chances of getting any interviews with local sports coaches would be minimal.
It's also a matter of it being pointless. The guy has been historically bad and dwelling on that fact during the interview is actually kind of boring.

Barreiro is a wannabe tough guy.

He rips you after an interview. No one sucks ass more than Barreiro when the person is on the air with him. Once off the air, then he will rip what they said.

He wants to be such a tough guy. I just laugh at him. Although, I rarely listen anymore.

Barreiro is a wannabe tough guy.

He rips you after an interview. No one sucks ass more than Barreiro when the person is on the air with him. Once off the air, then he will rip what they said.

He wants to be such a tough guy. I just laugh at him. Although, I rarely listen anymore.
He rules the twin cities.

That was great! Had never seen it before. Dire Straits was my favorite group back in my partying days in the 80's.
Knopfler's guitar is incredible, every song he's in is made better as result of him i.e. Slow Train and Liscence to Kill

Will AD Coyle show more patience if we don't win more than lose this season?

I hope not, particularly with this nonconference schedule.

This roster may not rank very highly in the conference but it looks like the deepest roster Ben Johnson has had here (although I wish he would have recruited another transfer guard). If he can't finish over .500 overall this season that wouldn't speak well for his future potential.

Knopfler's guitar is incredible, every song he's in is made better as result of him i.e. Slow Train and Liscence to Kill

Knopfler's guitar is absolutely awesome. Check out a live version of Calling Elvis on the net. Fantastic. Unfortunately, age has caught up to him. His last couple of concerts, he performed while sitting down, mostly mellow music.

The best song from those recording sessions didn't make it onto the album - Dylan on piano and Knopfler on guitar in this tune:

Top Bottom