John Wall...Big Punishment at KY.

In a related story, a Cleveland St. player has been declared ineligible to punish Kentucky

In a related story, a Cleveland St. player has been declared ineligible to punish Kentucky

Are you kidding? One player?

Heck, Cleveland State will probably get the Death Penalty for this. After all, it's not Kentucky's first violation.

:rolleyes:

A whopping two games? I guess that's Kentucky math at work, since the previously mentioned penalty was supposed to be for 10 percent of games. I guess that figure also counts exhibition games. So counting exhibition games, Kentucky has 20 games this year.

Boy, I guess they'll have wait awhile before the start of the NCAA Tournament. :rolleyes:

My dad just grounded me and took away the car keys after a call from the NCAA he received...and I'm 40. Damn you, John Wall, for ruining my social life!!!!

Timing here is ironic, considering the news of the day on our board.

Wonder what would be happening to Mbakwe right now if he were a key player at Kentucky instead of the U. Is there any question at all that he would be playing?

Let's not let the facts get in the way of the righteous indignation.

He did what hundreds of kids do in there junior years: He took unofficial visits to college campuses on his coach's (or AAU program to be totally accurate) dime. Why? Because John Wall's mother was in no position to pay for those trips.

I could understand some level of disdain regarding this situation if the Clifton's had just popped on the scene when Wall blew up as the number 1 player in the nation. But those two guys have been in Wall's life since he was 9 years old and his father passed away. I think it's fair considering the circumstances.

The Truth, I completely understand that ther are literally 100's and 100's of underclassmen that take unoffical visits all around the nation. I have no problem with that. What complicates the John Wall sitution is that Clifton was/is an agent at the time. If Clifton and Wall would have thought ahead for 5 minutes or asked a person that had gone though the NCAA ring before this entire sitution could have been avoid all together. Personally I don't think the punishment is crazy either way but when it comes to college basketball "blue bloods" they can get away with so much more than other programs in the nation. That's one of the things I'm hoping the new NCAA chief has a pair to punish the big name programs like they should be punished.

Let's not let the facts get in the way of the righteous indignation.

He did what hundreds of kids do in there junior years: He took unofficial visits to college campuses on his coach's (or AAU program to be totally accurate) dime. Why? Because John Wall's mother was in no position to pay for those trips.

I could understand some level of disdain regarding this situation if the Clifton's had just popped on the scene when Wall blew up as the number 1 player in the nation. But those two guys have been in Wall's life since he was 9 years old and his father passed away. I think it's fair considering the circumstances.

If Wall's Mom couldn't pay roughly $800 for those trips a year or two ago, how can she afford it now? Wall has to repay almost $800 to regain eligibility. A young man with no job from a poor family likely doesn't have $800.

Do you think Kentucky employs people like the The Truth to go on various message boards around the country to defend the school (not really a school...more like a basketball factory)?

Do you think Kentucky employs people like the The Truth to go on various message boards around the country to defend the school (not really a school...more like a basketball factory)?

No - he or she is likely just a big Kentucky fan.

It will be difficult but somehow I'm sure the Wall family will magically come up with the money. They will probably just have the same agent who they got in trouble with in the first place give them the money.

In reality, this isn't that big of a deal but, and trust us we know, that when you have a history of major violations and a reputation for bending the rules and a insanely rabid fanbase that pushes the boundries of being a fan, that every time you screw up, even a little, that your going to take alot of crap from most other fans. It doesn't help that you hired a coach with just as slimy of a reputation.

It will be difficult but somehow I'm sure the Wall family will magically come up with the money. They will probably just have the same agent who they got in trouble with in the first place give them the money.

In reality, this isn't that big of a deal but, and trust us we know, that when you have a history of major violations and a reputation for bending the rules and a insanely rabid fanbase that pushes the boundries of being a fan, that every time you screw up, even a little, that your going to take alot of crap from most other fans. It doesn't help that you hired a coach with just as slimy of a reputation.

The only 2 coaches that i can name (off the top of my head) who aren't "slimy" are Tubby and Bobby Knight. There are probably others, too.

The great GREAT majority of NCAA Div I coaches push right to the limit (and sometimes go over) of the rules.

As much as he annoys me, Bo Ryan deserves to at the top of any list of coaches who do things the right way.

What does this have to do with Minnesota Golden Gopher basketball?

With the talk about who is a ethical coaches and who is not, I am wondering what a neutral fan's opinion of Matt Painter is? Also what do you guys of taking verbal commitments for the class of 2012 right now? The reason I'm wondering is because Purdue just got it's 3rd verbal commitment for 2012. For those of you who care that means Purdue basically filled is 2012 class before getting one verbal for 2011.

With the talk about who is a ethical coaches and who is not, I am wondering what a neutral fan's opinion of Matt Painter is? Also what do you guys of taking verbal commitments for the class of 2012 right now? The reason I'm wondering is because Purdue just got it's 3rd verbal commitment for 2012. For those of you who care that means Purdue basically filled is 2012 class before getting one verbal for 2011.

Painter doesn't cheat but he DOES push the edge of the envelope (like most coaches do).

To answer some questions:

You can actually set up a payment plan with the NCAA over a certain amount of time to pay back the money in these cases. You just have to have it paid in full by the time your eligibilty is exhausted.

Wall's using part of his Pell Grant to pay the money back. The money is actually going to the Hope Center. It's one of the few things I like about the NCAA: The monies in situations like these go to charity. The Hope Center is a great organization that aids the homeless in Lexington.

Ahh...the pathetic attempt to justify wrong-doings. We cheated here and paid dearly. Glamour schools do not. You'll win games but I'm hoping you end up with exactly what Cheatucky deserves with Coach Slime at the helm. The only thing that disugusts me more than schools like Memphis and Kentucky is the fact that the NCAA looks the other way. Kentucky basketball should be cherished but now they deal with the stain of Calipari. I will root hard against those turds.

As much as he annoys me, Bo Ryan deserves to at the top of any list of coaches who do things the right way.

That was nice of you to say. Most people that can't stand him would not say something like that.

Ahh...the pathetic attempt to justify wrong-doings. We cheated here and paid dearly. Glamour schools do not. You'll win games but I'm hoping you end up with exactly what Cheatucky deserves with Coach Slime at the helm. The only thing that disugusts me more than schools like Memphis and Kentucky is the fact that the NCAA looks the other way. Kentucky basketball should be cherished but now they deal with the stain of Calipari. I will root hard against those turds.

Yeah...

Wow. You have some issues you should work on in your own life I think. Good luck with that.

Yeah...

Wow. You have some issues you should work on in your own life I think. Good luck with that.

I guess the truths you profess to have go all the way into Slim Tubby's personal life. I had no idea you had such a reach. Care to elaborate on his issues? I've only been posting with him for a decade or so and haven't had the chance to learn about them. Although I admit, his honesty and unwillingness to to put Gopher BBall before his ethics have never endeared him to the mindless boosters around here.

The only longtime bball fans I know who DON'T think that the NCAA has strongly favored KY in cheating cases are Ky fans. That may be a little nature of the beast, but then again they don't seem to feel that way about any other school.

And you can deny it all you want, but Calipari is slimy. PUt any D1 coach under oath and I'd bet he'll agree. That doesn't mean Cal cheated. Doesn't mean he didn't either.

And heck, even the Ky profs and Lex media I know are disgusted. (Obviously, sitting here in MN, I only know a small minority of both. But that minority is unanimous.)

Top Bottom