John Shipley: Fire Gophers’ Richard Pitino? It’s not that cut and dried

Shipley isn't saying he shouldn't be fired, he's saying it's not a slam dunk decision.

Try being in Coyle's spot -- You have a team that's probably going to the dance if Robbins and Kalscheur stay healthy. You've had to cut 3 men's sports due to revenue shortfalls with COVID, and now you have to justify to the Board of Regents cutting Pitino a $1.75 million check, and get a new coach under contract.

It's a big decision for Coyle, but that's also his job to make those decisions.
$1.75 million now or lose millions in ticket revenue next year. It's not a hard call even for those that only care about the $.

I think it was after the Northwestern game that Pitino, in a post-game interview, claimed that "The Gophers had faced more adversity than any other team in the country."

If anyone is on the fence, that statement should tip the balance. the whole "woe is me" attitude.
the "bad luck" mantra.

it's as if all of these factors are out of his control, and he can't do anything about it - like come up with a different scheme, or game plan, or rotation. Nope, nothing Richard can do. he is helpless in the face of this unprecedented adversity. give me a freakin' break.

But, as he has said repeated, "he's not making excuses." yah, sure.
I'd wager our total games missed by starters this year was less than the average power 6 team. It's not even a decent excuse.

There was no guarantee of anything before Robbins' and Kalscheur's injuries. They were already tanking by then, it was quite obvious. If anything, Liam and Gabe's injuries simply cemented what was already in motion.

As to the budget shortfall due to COVID, if it's so bad that they literally can't finance firing a coach in one of their revenue programs, they need to come clean and admit they can't (or won't) compete. If they kept Pitino, they'd lose even more money and support from the Minnesota public. Bottom line is that if this isn't a slam dunk, it should be. And if it isn't, that alone signals a big, big problem within the U administration.
That's what I have been saying for the past year, after the COVID excuses continued.

The cost went UP waiting a year.

That's what I have been saying for the past year, after the COVID excuses continued.

The cost went UP waiting a year.
They were always going to lose money this year due to Covid, but so was every other athletic department in the country, so in that regard they're not any different than anybody else.

What they also have is a basketball coach who is killing their pocket book due to the ineptitude of the on-court product. So either way, they are going to lose money.

Getting over Covid monetary losses is in large part a matter of getting folks back at games, so that solution is relatively straightforward. But getting over years of a crappy product takes greater time and effort. And keeping Pitino will absolutely kill ticket sales, meaning even more financial losses.

At the end of the day, the U will need to take the overall financial loss and get rid of Richard. Keeping him will only cost more money for years to come.

those last 4-5 games the team certainly gave up....put up a nice fight for 2 games in the tourney....but this team mailed it in on Pitino 2-3 weeks ago.

great guy and wish him well at his next job....

Shipley is way off on this
For the benefit of Richard Pitino and the Minnesota BB program, it is best a change is made. Give Richard and the program a chance to reestablish himself and itself.

Don't think GH has ever been more unified by a single topic, he must go and that is very cut and dry.

Bobby Jackson's been on the Sacramento King's coaching staff recently. Bobby's name and playing style could generate excitement with Gopher fan base. I haven't read anything about his coaching or recruiting strengths, but it would be a fantastic comeback if he became a successful coach for the Gophers.

Don't you need to have your degree in order to be an NCAA coach?

Or maybe he ended up getting his degree? That would be a great story.

See, this is where this University gets it way wrong. And to be honest, the reason we have been anywhere from a doormat to mediocre in everything forever.

Other top athletic programs do not care about this kind of stuff over winning.
I don’t care if other athletic programs don’t care about graduation rates or the character of their student-athletes. I care what the University of Minnesota does.

What do you tell your kids or what did your parents tell you when you complained that Johnny’s parents let him stay up til 10 pm so you should be able to stay up late too? The answer is I DGAF what Johnny’s parents do, you are in this household. That argument only works in politics and even there, it is one of the stupidest arguments there is.

The standard should be the standard regardless of what other people or universities do. And I hope the University of Minnesota has reasonably high standards when it comes to things like academics, graduation rates, and the character of its student-athletes. Even if that means the U’s African-American studies program actually requires students to attend class and complete coursework.

I guess I am happy that the team didn't give up in their last couple of games, but isn't that pretty much the bare minimum requirement? Shipley almost makes like it seem like this is some great accomplishment by Pitino. Has it gotten that bad, that the team not quitting is a feather in Pitino's hat?

I don’t know who Shipley is but it’s clear he knows almost nothing about college basketball. I suspect he’s a low energy less cantankerous version oh Phat Reusse. He’s trying to annoy us who know what we are talking about. He probably has never met Richard.

It would be interesting to know what goals Coyle laid out for the program. If it was only based on win/loss record than Pitino is most likely gone. What about things like graduation rates, how well the players represent the university and community, player feedback, etc.
The second part doesnt sell tickets or concessions

See, this is where this University gets it way wrong. And to be honest, the reason we have been anywhere from a doormat to mediocre in everything forever.

Other top athletic programs do not care about this kind of stuff over winning. They have accepted what major division 1 college athletics is. Flat out, winning athletic programs are great for a University's bottom line, it increases enrollment, etc, etc.
Your lumping everyone at the top together with this flat out lie. There are programs with way higher standards than ours that win at the top.

Bobby Jackson's been on the Sacramento King's coaching staff recently. Bobby's name and playing style could generate excitement with Gopher fan base. I haven't read anything about his coaching or recruiting strengths, but it would be a fantastic comeback if he became a successful coach for the Gophers.
No chance. He had a role in our academic cheating. He confirmed it , papers being written for him.

They were always going to lose money this year due to Covid, but so was every other athletic department in the country, so in that regard they're not any different than anybody else.

What they also have is a basketball coach who is killing their pocket book due to the ineptitude of the on-court product. So either way, they are going to lose money.

Getting over Covid monetary losses is in large part a matter of getting folks back at games, so that solution is relatively straightforward. But getting over years of a crappy product takes greater time and effort. And keeping Pitino will absolutely kill ticket sales, meaning even more financial losses.

At the end of the day, the U will need to take the overall financial loss and get rid of Richard. Keeping him will only cost more money for years to come.
The question remains: Does MN want to compete at the top or not? We are about to find out.

I don’t care if other athletic programs don’t care about graduation rates or the character of their student-athletes. I care what the University of Minnesota does.

What do you tell your kids or what did your parents tell you when you complained that Johnny’s parents let him stay up til 10 pm so you should be able to stay up late too? The answer is I DGAF what Johnny’s parents do, you are in this household. That argument only works in politics and even there, it is one of the stupidest arguments there is.

The standard should be the standard regardless of what other people or universities do. And I hope the University of Minnesota has reasonably high standards when it comes to things like academics, graduation rates, and the character of its student-athletes. Even if that means the U’s African-American studies program actually requires students to attend class and complete coursework.
Thats all good. Just dont bitch when teams that dont have those standards continue to win and win big while MN does not.

Your lumping everyone at the top together with this flat out lie. There are programs with way higher standards than ours that win at the top.
North Carolina.
Kansas.
Arizona.
Duke.

Those programs have been at the top for a long, long time. And every damn one of them is dirty. Just a small sample of "everyone at the top".

And yes, BADGER, we know about Tony and Jay.

North Carolina.
Kansas.
Arizona.
Duke.

Those programs have been at the top for a long, long time. And every damn one of them is dirty. Just a small sample of "everyone at the top".

And yes, BADGER, we know about Tony and Jay.
Great, then you know that it is not done by everyone that wins. That it can be done in a academic environment far more rigorous than here. President Ryan demands it, A.D. Carla Williams demands it and Bennett demands it and recruits to it. I never cited the 4 you mentioned as clean. Stevens demanded it at Butler. Just because someone cheats to win does not mean we have to. We can win without cheating.

Great, then you know that it is not done by everyone that wins. That it can be done in a academic environment far more rigorous than here. President Ryan demands it, A.D. Carla Williams demands it and Bennett demands it and recruits to it. I never cited the 4 you mentioned as clean. Stevens demanded it at Butler. Just because someone cheats to win does not mean we have to. We can win without cheating.
You held Carolina up previously. Then lied. Now you are lying again.

lit can be done. Mostly not. History tells the story.

You held Carolina up previously. Then lied. Now you are lying again.
Your a flat out liar. I never held up UNC. I despise the programs that are rivals of UVA and cheat. I have season tickets at UVA and spent years scouting on the road and am very aware of Programs that cheat. Have literally thrown UNC under the bus. Quit stalking, quit lying. Not the only one sick of your stalking. And then to make things up !

Your a flat out liar. I never held up UNC. I despise the programs that are rivals of UVA and cheat. I have season tickets at UVA and spent years scouting on the road and am very aware of Programs that cheat. Have literally thrown UNC under the bus. Quit stalking, quit lying. Not the only one sick of your stalking. And then to make things up !
Yes you have. I previously quoted you badger. Just stop lying. Your own words tell the story. I don’t have to make up anything. You sink yourself.
Pitino will be gone soon so rest easy. Find a new hobby as your potshots won’t have a target any longer.
Remember you never respected rp. Until you did.
Fraud.

The ignore button is your friend.

Yes you have. I previously quoted you badger. Just stop lying. Your own words tell the story. I don’t have to make up anything. You sink yourself.
Pitino will be gone soon so rest easy. Find a new hobby as your potshots won’t have a target any longer.
Remember you never respected rp. Until you did.
Fraud.
Your out of your mind thinking i would not rest easy. Not my job to fire him. Not pot shots when using records and defensive rankings, those are facts. You will not find one single post of me calling UNC clean, your lying and stalking. You think it is ok for you to be a Pitino critic but stalk me for using facts. Stop stalking. I always said he would not build a winner here with such poor defensive teaching and recruiting poor character. Please reveal where i ever respected him. Respect is earned.

Your out of your mind thinking i would not rest easy. Not my job to fire him. Not pot shots when using records and defensive rankings, those are facts. You will not find one single post of me calling UNC clean, your lying and stalking. You think it is ok for you to be a Pitino critic but stalk me for using facts. Stop stalking. I always said he would not build a winner here with such poor defensive teaching and recruiting poor character. Please reveal where i ever respected him. Respect is earned.
BADGER circa January, 2020:

"How do i reconcile what then since Bo is not my guy, just a great coach. I know very well that Pitino is not his dad and respect his dad only for basketball teaching ability. His son. i respect as a being a decent person which is ultimately more important than coaching but he is a long way from being considered a great coach. This came up because , once again someone spoke for me calling Bo my guy. Numerous posts over the years by me stating that i never liked Bo Ryan as a person, know a lot about him. But i can see what a great coach he was, highest winning % in conference history is a incredible achievement and he recruited clean. Master teacher."

You have put NC and Duke up. Time for your grandkids to take away your keyboard as your lies and fraud grow each day.

BADGER circa January, 2020:

"How do i reconcile what then since Bo is not my guy, just a great coach. I know very well that Pitino is not his dad and respect his dad only for basketball teaching ability. His son. i respect as a being a decent person which is ultimately more important than coaching but he is a long way from being considered a great coach. This came up because , once again someone spoke for me calling Bo my guy. Numerous posts over the years by me stating that i never liked Bo Ryan as a person, know a lot about him. But i can see what a great coach he was, highest winning % in conference history is a incredible achievement and he recruited clean. Master teacher."

You have put NC and Duke up. Time for your grandkids to take away your keyboard as your lies and fraud grow each day.
Another post of no proof of anything i said. Stalker,liar, fraud. Never respected Richard as a coach. No magic in evaluation, practice or identity of program, poor defense and from day one i knew he would never get it done here. I can separate my admiration for teaching from the quality of a person. The grand kids are the ones who want me to post my observations and laugh at your stalking, lying and obsession. Taught them to consider your personal challenges.

Another post of no proof of anything i said. Stalker,liar, fraud. Never respected Richard as a coach. No magic in evaluation, practice or identity of program, poor defense and from day one i knew he would never get it done here. I can separate my admiration for teaching from the quality of a person. The grand kids are the ones who want me to post my observations and laugh at your stalking, lying and obsession. Taught them to consider your personal challenges.
Own your lies, you fool. You said it, own it.

The grand kids should take away your keyboard, and alas, I am sure they will own their rubbish as well as you. Really great.

Potshots at RP, lies about respecting him - or not, failure to own your own words.......you best teach them something about personal responsibility as you demonstrate zero.

Shipley isn't saying he shouldn't be fired, he's saying it's not a slam dunk decision.

Try being in Coyle's spot -- You have a team that's probably going to the dance if Robbins and Kalscheur stay healthy. You've had to cut 3 men's sports due to revenue shortfalls with COVID, and now you have to justify to the Board of Regents cutting Pitino a $1.75 million check, and get a new coach under contract.

It's a big decision for Coyle, but that's also his job to make those decisions.
It'll cost them a heck of lot more if they don't fire him.

Top Bottom