John Calipari

XMan

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who understands the in's and out's of the NCAA:

If Mario Chalmers doesn't hit that three-pointer for Kansas and Memphis would have won the NCAA championship game, who would be named Champion after Memphis would have been stripped from the title (as they have their final four appearance)?

Would Kansas then be named Champions for that year, or would they say there was no Champion that year?

Well Memphis won Conference USA that year, so presumably, they're stripped of that too. However, I don't think UAB somehow is now the Conference USA title holder from that year. I could be wrong though.

I suppose you are right....no one is going to say Texas then should be named a final four team, since they were beat by Memphis in the elite 8 that year.

Stinks

I still say it stinks though that the school suffers so much, while Calipari walks and signs a 32 Million Dollar contract with another school.

His second offense (2nd final four removed anyway), he deserves a harsher personal penalty.

This is more proof that the NCAA is biased towards some schools. I'm still waiting for Duke to be stripped of their 1999 Final Four appearance because they played an ineligible player in Corey Maggette. But it's Dook and Coach K who never does anything wrong, so it's okay.

This is more proof that the NCAA is biased towards some schools. I'm still waiting for Duke to be stripped of their 1999 Final Four appearance because they played an ineligible player in Corey Maggette. But it's Dook and Coach K who never does anything wrong, so it's okay.

I am sure some small school with a minor infraction got the book thrown at them to show the NCAA is able to monitor and police it's members. It will happen again, just not to the big boys.

Vacated

I think in the records related to forfeited games and championships, etc. the records do not make a "new" champion, they simply indicated "vacated" in the record books. We could check the past Big ten Basketball champions and the year 1997 to find out for sure.

I think in the records related to forfeited games and championships, etc. the records do not make a "new" champion, they simply indicated "vacated" in the record books.

You are correct. There would be no champion.

Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas get "off the hook" more than most schools.

I still say it stinks though that the school suffers so much, while Calipari walks and signs a 32 Million Dollar contract with another school.

His second offense (2nd final four removed anyway), he deserves a harsher personal penalty.

Camby used an agent in 1996, Caliari had nothing to do with it.

Rose may have cheated on SAT, but NCAA cleared him. Calipari had no part in it.

Top Bottom