Joe Schmit : Hoke,Calhoun,Mullen at Present

Uffda

Reaction score
Joe Schmit reported on his sports report last night that these 3 coaches are definite candidates and are in the mix at present :
Brady Hoke
Troy Calhoun
Dan Mullen ( Deep South ? -- Joe ststed that Mullen could be considered a coup for the program)

Joe did not mention anyone else including Al Golden last night

Thoughts ?

I hope he's right, I'd take any of them...Mullen would be my #1.

I think Mullen would classify as a Holy S***/Tubby Smith type of hire

I think Mullen would classify as a Holy S***/Tubby Smith type of hire

Hiring Dan Mullen now would be the equivalent of hiring Tubby Smith from Georgia in 1997. So yes, you can say that, but it's not the same thing as what we did in 2007. That said, Tubby was probably just as good a coach in 1997 and I'd be happy with Mullen now.

I too think Mullen would be a great get

Probably as close to a home run hire we could get at this point unless some "bigger" name comes out of left field. Lets face it, the one thing we have over Mississippi State is the biggest mantra in real easte: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

In digging around on Mullen I wanted to get a feel for him outside of football. This article does a good job though it is through the eyes of his wife. When all is said and done the Mrs. has a much input into a transition as anyone. Mrs. Mullen doesn't seem like a wall flower at all.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/74/747810.jpg&imgrefurl=http://hsalabama.scout.com/2/919150.html&usg=__-MdhHhX1j8tPOksRRqSj2dnhI9w=&h=253&w=180&sz=30&hl=en&start=6&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=qRnQIaoWnUtPZM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=79&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddan%2Bmullen%2527s%2Bwife%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SKPB_en%26tbs%3Disch:1

Hiring Dan Mullen now would be the equivalent of hiring Tubby Smith from Georgia in 1997. So yes, you can say that, but it's not the same thing as what we did in 2007. That said, Tubby was probably just as good a coach in 1997 and I'd be happy with Mullen now.

Tubby did OK at Kentucky in 1998:)

BTW, the last football coach we got from Mississippi State had a slow start, but ended up working out OK.

Mullen is the best out of the three IMO. Not a ton of HC experience. But if you take a look at where he's been (and at what time in the case of florida) as a coordinator and position coach...impressive.

I could live with Mullen, I'd take him over Calhoun and Hoke.

I'd feel really good about Mullen being in charge of our program. Lots of (successful) experience in a pressure cooker at Florida and winning games as a head coach at one of the worst programs in the SEC.

If that's all Joel has come up with, Hoke, Calhoun, and Mullen. They don't meet the criteria he set down. A proven winner. Maybe Calhoun, but really did he look any further, was he turned down?

He, and Parker definitely looked further. Guys said NO, including Harbaugh.

Mullen would be big big big. Almost too good to be true in all of this. Would create quite a college football media uproar.

i hope that's not how the process is really being run. sounds like the lazy way out. no fight or effort.

Doesn't surprise me - why would Harbaugh leave Stanford for us? I guess no problem asking though.

Love to be the fly on the wall when that call was made.

I like Mullen the best of the three, with Hoke second, Calhoun doesn't do anything for me. If we don't get either Mullen or Hoke it may be time to consider coordinators with Gus Malzahn being first on my list.

Mullen would be a nice hire, but I still don't think he bolts Miss. St. after only two years.

i hope that's not how the process is really being run. sounds like the lazy way out. no fight or effort.

So how would you run a confidential search in which you are contacting sitting coaches while they are still in season? I'd love an explanation of the no fight or effort thing.

So how would you run a confidential search in which you are contacting sitting coaches while they are still in season? I'd love an explanation of the no fight or effort thing.

agreed, no conversations have taken place with in season coaches. the conversations have been with the representatives.

That said, Doogie's note sounded like Happy Path process only to me (who can we get)
There has to be a strategic path as well (who do we want), and all the hard work that goes along with this

I'm not sure how hard they fought for Harbaugh... but you can only do so much... nationally, this is not viewed as a good job... the major trump card for Bruininks/Maturi = giving someone a ton of $$.

If Megan Mullen could get a TV Sports Anchor Job here, it might be enough to convince hubby to come. I wonder who could arrange such a thing?

There has to be a strategic path as well (who do we want), and all the hard work that goes along with this

But who says there hasn't been this? I mean, frankly, I don't expect to hear about the guys we swung an missed on. And that is probably going to be all the big guns you want them to put extra effort in on. If this is done right, we shouldn't be hearing about the extra efforts put forth on coaches who don't want to be here.

Mullen would be a nice hire, but I still don't think he bolts Miss. St. after only two years.

Know who else left Mississippi State after 2 years?

Bernie Bierman

Not that they are anything alike though. He did go to Tulane for a few years before coming back home.

nationally, this is not viewed as a good job

I refuse to believe that there are dozens of jobs better than this one, despite mountains of logic and evidence to the contrary.

Why all the excitement for Mullen...his best year 7-4?

This has been covered numerous times already.

This would be a homerun. Harbaugh would be a grandslam. Golden would be a triple. Hoke a single. Calhoun a walk. Trestmann a strikeout. etc..

This has been covered numerous times already.

This would be a homerun. Harbaugh would be a grandslam. Golden would be a triple. Hoke a single. Calhoun a walk. Trestmann a strikeout. etc..

I don't spend my life on here...why a homerun as you say? Seems pretty average to me. Not in Leach's catagory or even much maligned Glen Mason.

Top Bottom