Joe Coleman concern

So are we seriously not pushing for Coleman while we courted Jasperson and Oglsby? Along with signing 2 filler type gaurds? Coleman has produce at the highest level of HS competition. It should be a no-brainer we put the full-court press on to get Coleman. There are 5 coaches including Tubby. There's at least 1 coach that can show this kid that we really want him. I hope the recruitment of Tharpe doesn't turn out to be another C. Joseph situation.

Tharpe is PG recruit. Unrelated to SG recruits.

Coleman is one of several SG recruits - others are Oglesby and Andre Hollins.

We might find out earlier if he sees a computer in a girls dorm or blue jeans in Target he just has to have.

We might find out earlier if he sees a computer in a girls dorm or blue jeans in Target he just has to have.

What the hell is this guy talking about? This thread IS about Joe Coleman, right?

BOO this man!!

"step it up"? Coleman has been offered a scholarship. He knows Tubby wants him to play for the team. Tubby doesn't have a magic wand or any way to force him to sign. He has to want to play here. How would you "step it up"? How does Tubby "step it up"? When a player chooses not to play for MInnesota it's because they feel they have a better option. I don't know what any coach can do about that. If you know a way tell us all. Define said:
But that is why they use the word "recruiting." I hope Tubby and staff are not relying on the facts that they offered a scholarship and they feel that Joe knows they want him at the U. Good recruiters know how to convince the kids that this is the school for them and that they do not have better options. A good recruiter will get the kid and his family to believe that there is no place better than the U. No magic wand, just hard work, good connections, the knowledge of how to build relationships to the kids and their families and most importantly, sell the University of Minnesota.

That is what gets people worried here about Joe. He should have been an easy sell. Early on, it sounded like he wanted to come here and would commit when offered. Sounds like the offer fiasco got things started in the wrong direction though, and the family might have been turned off. That is the relationshiop factor. Who knows if bridges were burned or what the staff has done to fix things.

Who knows? He could commit to the U tomorrow and all of the angst would be over nothing. But something just doesn't feel right about the situation.

But that is why they use the word "recruiting." I hope Tubby and staff are not relying on the facts that they offered a scholarship and they feel that Joe knows they want him at the U. Good recruiters know how to convince the kids that this is the school for them and that they do not have better options. A good recruiter will get the kid and his family to believe that there is no place better than the U. No magic wand, just hard work, good connections, the knowledge of how to build relationships to the kids and their families and most importantly, sell the University of Minnesota.

That is what gets people worried here about Joe. He should have been an easy sell. Early on, it sounded like he wanted to come here and would commit when offered. Sounds like the offer fiasco got things started in the wrong direction though, and the family might have been turned off. That is the relationshiop factor. Who knows if bridges were burned or what the staff has done to fix things.

Who knows? He could commit to the U tomorrow and all of the angst would be over nothing. But something just doesn't feel right about the situation.

The Minnesota staff of recruiters knows how to do that.

It's possible Coleman may want to explore all his options.

Because he has the opporttunity, maybe he wants to pursue the idea of going away to school. When it comes down to actually commiting and signing he could change his mind. His brother did that. That might be the reason he is keeping all options open and delaying announcing a decision.

The whole offer confusion thing earlier this year could have been a little hurdle for the Gopher's to overcome too. That couldn't have sat well with the Coleman's.

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that we were still his FIRST high major offer, and remain one of only two high major offers that he has. He is from here, his brother is a legacy Gopher, and he's familiar with the scene. If he's basing his interest off of how/when a school offered, then we're still in good shape. I mean if he's angry at the Gophers for "waiting", then what's he gonna think if someone jumps in now many months after the MN offer? And, while some say Fred Hoiberg is a nice guy (and he probably is), does Joe really want to spend four years in Ames, Iowa? Heck by his senior year he could be competing for ISU in the Mountain West Conference. There's no guarantee that ISU will even be in the Big XII by 2015 (his senior year)

Anyone who thinks Tubby & staff isn't actively pursuing him is nuts. Word is that Coleman was at Gopher practice this week watching the guys get ready for the Canadian tour.

From what i've heard, and maybe Johnnygopher can confirm or deny the rumor is that Joe Coleman is a bit of a primadonna (nothing Royce White-esque) and that Tubby is making a point by not overtly gushing over this kid. He has shown interest, he offered a scholorship and it is obvious he'd like him in the program. However, I've heard it is part of the process. If Coleman needs an exorbitant amount of attention to sign here, well then he might not be the kind of guy who fits perfectly into the system.

From what i've heard, and maybe Johnnygopher can confirm or deny the rumor is that Joe Coleman is a bit of a primadonna (nothing Royce White-esque) and that Tubby is making a point by not overtly gushing over this kid. He has shown interest, he offered a scholorship and it is obvious he'd like him in the program. However, I've heard it is part of the process. If Coleman needs an exorbitant amount of attention to sign here, well then he might not be the kind of guy who fits perfectly into the system.

I love it!! This characterizes Tubby as someone with standards. Very Very plausible explanation. Tubby prolly has had experience with running into player egos that are way out in front of them and that end up getting in their way. This is prolly his way of settling him down without challenging him him to a power struggle and risking entrenchment and attitude positioning that will hurt the ability for them to work together. Better to let him decide that he 'maybe isn't all that' and deciide that he wants to be here than it is to patronize him now and cut him off at the knees once he's here.

I love it!! This characterizes Tubby as someone with standards. Very Very plausible explanation. Tubby prolly has had experience with running into player egos that are way out in front of them and that end up getting in their way. This is prolly his way of settling him down without challenging him him to a power struggle and risking entrenchment and attitude positioning that will hurt the ability for them to work together. Better to let him decide that he 'maybe isn't all that' and deciide that he wants to be here than it is to patronize him now and cut him off at the knees once he's here.

You just got done saying on another thread don't thrash recruits and whats the first thing you do on a rumor is added to the b.s. Oh thats special.

My god. I understand the desire to drink the "koolaid" but this comment causes me pain. If anyone thinks Tubby is trying to make a point with this kid they are kidding themselves. Obviously Smith wanted Joe and was convinced he could help the program. Hence the offer. For all the speculation on this board regarding why the Gophers aren't kissing enough Coleman arse I'd ask what do you want? They made him an offer and he's not accepted it. For my money, that's Smith's job.

Not sure you have to think about it any harder.

You just got done saying on another thread don't thrash recruits and whats the first thing you do on a rumor is added to the b.s. Oh thats special.

Mother your'e right. I'm a bad person and deserving of all your scorn. I so appreciate your mature attitude and brilliant guidance. LOL

My god. I understand the desire to drink the "koolaid" but this comment causes me pain. If anyone thinks Tubby is trying to make a point with this kid they are kidding themselves. Obviously Smith wanted Joe and was convinced he could help the program. Hence the offer. For all the speculation on this board regarding why the Gophers aren't kissing enough Coleman arse I'd ask what do you want? They made him an offer and he's not accepted it. For my money, that's Smith's job.

Not sure you have to think about it any harder.

Some people don't have to think at all - they already know everything! :rolleyes:

Mother your'e right. I'm a bad person and deserving of all your scorn. I so appreciate your mature attitude and brilliant guidance. LOL
You are about as thin skinned as they come on this board. GOOD!! You're much more entertaining when mad.

Top Bottom