Jockeying for the 2 Big Ten NIT Auto Bids

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The top 2 NCAA Tournament non-qualifiers receive automatic bids to the NIT. Gophers moved up 8 spots in the NET after the competitive loss to Purdue. Here's how the race is stacking up.

An * = currently projected into my Field of 68.

#53 Nebraska*
#60 Northwestern*
#69 Iowa
#71 Ohio State
#75 Maryland
#80 Minnesota
#86 Rutgers

Need Ohio State to continue dropping off a cliff.

Last edited:

The top 2 NCAA Tournament non-qualifiers receive automatic bids to the NIT. Gophers moved up 8 spots in the NET after the competitive loss to Purdue. Here's how the race is stacking up.

An * = currently projected into my Field of 68.

#53 Nebraska*
#60 Northwestern*
#69 Iowa
#71 Ohio State
#75 Maryland
#80 Minnesota
#86 Rutgers
Do you think Northwestern will be able to hang onto an NCAA spot without Berry? That is a huge loss for them as they are not real deep and he was one of their best shooters.

Starting guard, averaging 11+ points a game and hitting over 40% of his 3s......that is a brutal loss for them.

Do you think Northwestern will be able to hang onto an NCAA spot without Berry? That is a huge loss for them as they are not real deep and he was one of their best shooters.

Starting guard, averaging 11+ points a game and hitting over 40% of his 3s......that is a brutal loss for them.
Berry definitely a significant loss. The Wildcats have their work cut out for them to hang on.

@ Indiana
Michigan
@ Maryland
Iowa
@ Michigan State
Minnesota

Wildcats are currently 8-6. If they get to 11-9 (certainly not a sure thing now), I think they'll be in a pretty good position for a bid. They will have proven they can win some games without Berry, which will be important to the Selection Committee.

I don't see NW making it...... they could easily go 1-5 or 2-4 in their remaining 6 games

The good news is the Big Ten isn't limited to only two automatic berths. Almost certainly more than two Big Ten teams will make the NIT, with as many as six possible.

Gophers have a great shot to make it. I think three more wins will put them in as an NIT at-large (18-13, 9-11).

Northwestern falling into the NIT likely doesn't impact the Gophers NIT chances. It really doesn't take an at-large spot away, as someone will move "up" from NIT field to take the Northwestern spot.
Bottom line, there are now 20 at-large spots for an NIT berth. They are going to take mostly P6 teams.

Sunday's game vs. Rutgers is big for NIT purposes for both teams. Although, I actually think both will make it.

Last edited:

Using my current Field of 68 projection, these would be the 12 automatic qualifiers for the NIT:

#35 Villanova (Big East)
#37 Cincinnati (Big XII)
#40 Wake Forest (ACC)
#41 Colorado (Pac 12)
#47 Pitt (ACC)
#48 Nebraska (Big Ten)
#51 Saint John's (Big East)
#62 Oregon (Pac 12)
#66 Ohio State (Big Ten)
#68 UCF (Big XII)
#88 LSU (SEC)
#98 Georgia (SEC)

The remaining 20 teams will be selected as at-larges.

Using my current Field of 68 projection, these would be the 12 automatic qualifiers for the NIT:

#35 Villanova (Big East)
#37 Cincinnati (Big XII)
#40 Wake Forest (ACC)
#41 Colorado (Pac 12)
#47 Pitt (ACC)
#48 Nebraska (Big Ten)
#51 Saint John's (Big East)
#62 Oregon (Pac 12)
#66 Ohio State (Big Ten)
#68 UCF (Big XII)
#88 LSU (SEC)
#98 Georgia (SEC)

The remaining 20 teams will be selected as at-larges.
Does anyone reject the NIT anymore? I could see Ohio State passing to move on to a new administration. Oregon perhaps.Maybe even Villanova with the strong history.

Top Bottom