Joan Gabel has been named 19th chancellor of the of the University of Pittsburgh.

Correct. A Board or Regents who actually oversaw the university instead of acting like supplicants to the President, should have unanimously reprimanded her.

Instead the majority approved it.

What kind of mentality did the President have when she was offered the BoD position? It could only been about her finances, social status, and/or prestige. It certainly wasn't about the U.

Look at what happened with the President of the Duluth campus. He was a regent with no experience in education and got that job. The Board of Regents is too cosy with the President at best and engaged in corrupt, self-dealing at the worst.

Do all the Regents want handouts?

The governance at the U is a joke. To my knowledge, nothing is being done to address it.
I agree that it was a mistake for Gabel to accept the position and for the Regents to approve it. I also assume that opportunities to join a board(s) in a thriving corporate environment was part of the U's overall compensation presentation to her when making the offer to hire her. The off-record conversations between Gabel and the Regents likely focused on her overall compensation expectations (set at the time of the offer) and how the Securian board position helped her approach or reach those expectations. I can understand - even if I disagree - why the Regents may have gone along with it in the interest of trying to maintain continuity by keeping the current president.

There is also the matter of how much Securian spends supporting athletics at the U. While not nearly the direct conflict of interest of Gabel serving on its board, there is little doubt that Securian's management of the endowment goes hand in hand with how much they spend (more than $1M annually) with Learfield and on Gopher tickets.

The mild liberalism of Minnesota is the price you pay (along with slightly higher taxes) to live in a state that is one of the most educated, happiest, cleanest, and safest in America -- the socioeconomic opposite of the Deep South.
Most educated in terms of years of indoctrination. Not the same as educated.

forget left and right.

If you are the President of the University of MN, that is a big, important job. and it should take up 100% of your time and effort. It is also a job that pays a very nice salary, which should be plenty for anyone to live on.

So, I don't want the U of MN President serving on any outside boards. His or her total focus should be on the U of MN. and if you want or need more $$, then you should try to negotiate a higher salary for yourself.

the very fact that Gable wanted to serve on an outside board suggests - to me at least - that the U of MN was not her sole focus.

If I was on the Board of Regents, I would be pushing for a policy stating that the President is not allowed to serve on outside boards.

The mild liberalism of Minnesota is the price you pay (along with slightly higher taxes) to live in a state that is one of the most educated, happiest, cleanest, and safest in America -- the socioeconomic opposite of the Deep South.
Regarding the bolded, I am curious why this is brought up. I mean, am I supposed to feel better if my neighbor graduated college versus another neighbor who's an auto mechanic or AC repair technician? I mean, I'm all for a society where people can read and write and (some) can do basic math, but I don't think we need everyone to have a college degree.

For the record, I have BS and MS degrees, so I've spent some time in school. But I really don't care if my neighbors do, for example.

Not trying to argue, just asking a legit question. If I wanted to argue, I'd point out something like auto mechanics and roofers and the like have a far superior understanding of economics than your typical college graduate does, but again, not trying to argue. ; )

Also wonder if the impending slog through the Fairview-Sanford merger, getting the legislature to fund purchasing the U's research medical facilities, and then building the new Academic Medical Center was going to be too much work/risk for her.

Gonna be a big lift for whomever comes in, regardless.
It hasn't been an easy-go for her from the start given COVID descending upon the world and everything that happened after. So she had a full plate. That said, she made some missteps. Much to do and I don't know if this batch of regents is up to the task of both replacing her and getting a new president in place.

forget left and right.

If you are the President of the University of MN, that is a big, important job. and it should take up 100% of your time and effort. It is also a job that pays a very nice salary, which should be plenty for anyone to live on.

So, I don't want the U of MN President serving on any outside boards. His or her total focus should be on the U of MN. and if you want or need more $$, then you should try to negotiate a higher salary for yourself.

the very fact that Gable wanted to serve on an outside board suggests - to me at least - that the U of MN was not her sole focus.

If I was on the Board of Regents, I would be pushing for a policy stating that the President is not allowed to serve on outside boards.
This is noble, but high-level execs serve on boards so that they can network with one another and help each other further the interests of their own organization and the region where their company operates. Such a policy would have a detrimental effect on the University as it would significantly reduce the ability of the lead executive to collaborate with the organizations in the region that can help fulfill the University's mission.

Regarding the bolded, I am curious why this is brought up. I mean, am I supposed to feel better if my neighbor graduated college versus another neighbor who's an auto mechanic or AC repair technician? I mean, I'm all for a society where people can read and write and (some) can do basic math, but I don't think we need everyone to have a college degree.

For the record, I have BS and MS degrees, so I've spent some time in school. But I really don't care if my neighbors do, for example.

Not trying to argue, just asking a legit question. If I wanted to argue, I'd point out something like auto mechanics and roofers and the like have a far superior understanding of economics than your typical college graduate does, but again, not trying to argue. ; )
Minnesota has higher per Capita income. One of highest per Capita income to fortune 500 companies, lower unemployment, etc and that all ties into our education level

Minnesota has higher per Capita income. One of highest per Capita income to fortune 500 companies, lower unemployment, etc and that all ties into our education level
Imagine how high it would be if you removed the entire city of Minneapolis from the equation!

Most educated in terms of years of indoctrination. Not the same as educated.
Compared to the level of education, tolerance, and sophistication in the Dakotas, MN looks so good the brightest and most educated leave the Dakotas for MN.

If there's one thing I know, making generalized jabs using political talking points aimed at those who don't share your beliefs aways works at cohesion and never creates opposition at all. That's a really great thing for people who are supposed to be here sharing a COMMON LOVE that should be BRINGING US ALL TOGETHER. So, as the now self proclaimed dad of this thread, hug and make up ya goofballs, and move on. And as a wise poster named Bleed always says, Go Gophers!!!

If there's one thing I know, making generalized jabs using political talking points aimed at those who don't share your beliefs aways works at cohesion and never creates opposition at all. That's a really great thing for people who are supposed to be here sharing a COMMON LOVE that should be BRINGING US ALL TOGETHER. So, as the now self proclaimed dad of this thread, hug and make up ya goofballs, and move on. And as a wise poster named Bleed always says, Go Gophers!!!
You people would say that!!!!

/s

Compared to the level of education, tolerance, and sophistication in the Dakotas, MN looks so good the brightest and most educated leave the Dakotas for MN.
Actually, South Dakota has become a net gainer of population while Minnesota is now a net loser. This is even more true when it comes to productive people (those fitting the description of best and brightest).

You must be joking. "Safest?" Most of my relatives and friends don't dare go downtown Minneapolis anymore, especially after dark. Huge change from years past.

Imagine how high it would be if you removed the entire city of Minneapolis from the equation!
We would drop since you'd remove where our college resides, many of our business, and higher income earners

Actually, South Dakota has become a net gainer of population while Minnesota is now a net loser. This is even more true when it comes to productive people (those fitting the description of best and brightest).
Feel free to join Jackrabbit bandwagon

Feel free to join Jackrabbit bandwagon
How dare he say something positive about another state. Don’t be so sensitive, saying something positive about others isn’t a knock on Minnesota.

I was at Murray's just last week. Felt fine
Me too!

Had a great time.

Seriously though it's funny how the "oh man I won't go there" folks are the people who really want to tell you what it is like ...

Me too!

Had a great time.

Seriously though it's funny how the "oh man I won't go there" folks are the people who really want to tell you what it is like ...
My waitress was a bit ditzy. Biggest challenge we faced

We are one of the 5 happiest states in the country, GH bashing is the equivalent of reading the STrib comments section.

You clearly love the Dakotas
I was stating facts. In my world, facts are facts and stand by themselves. I know in your world that cannot be allowed. Only that which supports your delusional useful idiocy can be mentioned.

I was stating facts. In my world, facts are facts and stand by themselves. I know in your world that cannot be allowed. Only that which supports your delusional useful idiocy can be mentioned.

I can't think of a better indicator that someone is so down the rabbit hole of their ideology, about any topic, that they couldn't possibly understand any other point of view, than to have someone declare "In my world, facts are facts and stand by themselves.".

Granted I'm sure that makes life very easy to make judgment calls on just about anything.

Would be interesting to see what our "take home" income is related to other states. In your mind, being educated makes you better than those that work for a living? It is good there are so many non-educated workers who can pay for loan forgiveness for all of the $60,000 a year "educated" baristas with English Lit majors.

Top Bottom