Jim Leonhard staying in Madison

The players seem to like Leonard. Keeping him on gives Fickell time to win over the players and recruits and gives Leonard a soft landing until something better comes along. Both are good coaches. They'll figure it out and adapt in the short term until Fickell can get his recruits in and make it his team and Leonard finds something better. Year zero.

Leonhard has played big time college football and NFL football. He has coached and proven he is one of the top defensive coordinators in college football with NFL teams calling. I think he'll manage calling any scheme Fickell would ask of him. Apparently there's conflicting reports from the Badgers 247 board that this isn't a done deal, but that is message board fodder.

Leonhard has played big time college football and NFL football. He has coached and proven he is one of the top defensive coordinators in college football with NFL teams calling. I think he'll manage calling any scheme Fickell would ask of him. Apparently there's conflicting reports from the Badgers 247 board that this isn't a done deal, but that is message board fodder.
Yeah, I don't think any of those things would be difficult to get over.

I think it would be difficult politically. I actually think it would be the best thing for UW for him to move on (even though I think he's a good DC). It just doesn't feel like a good situation.

If I'm being honest, if I was an AD of a school looking to hire a HC, I would think less of him for staying at UW after this. It is one thing to ride it out and be loyal under the idea that you're the coach-in-waiting, it's another thing to stay after UW has not shown loyalty to you. I would think he is a "comfort zone" guy and that would be a big strike against him in my book.

Does it matter? You seem really stuck on this.
He is stuck on it because he used it as his premise to tell everyone over and over (sometimes in ALL CAPS) why this would never happen. That’s also why he has 50% of the posts in this thread now.

He made close to $10 million in the NFL, and another $3-4 million at Wisconsin so far. Lives in Madison. Pretty easy math.
How in the world can anyone possibly know what Leonhard needs, at this age and at this stage in his life, to "not have to work"? Nobody has the foggiest idea. Some people just can't help themselves from counting other people's money....

Maybe his wife spends like a drunken sailor, maybe he likes luxury cars and huge houses and multiple places in the world. Maybe he wants to provide for a variety of friends and family members so that they never have to struggle as much. Whatever, I guess? Cracks me up when people feel the need to make that comment....

How in the world can anyone possibly know what Leonhard needs, at this age and at this stage in his life, to "not have to work"? Nobody has the foggiest idea. Some people just can't help themselves from counting other people's money....

Maybe his wife spends like a drunken sailor, maybe he likes luxury cars and huge houses and multiple places in the world. Maybe he wants to provide for a variety of friends and family members so that they never have to struggle as much. Whatever, I guess? Cracks me up when people feel the need to make that comment....
Agree. Who know how much he’s spent and what he needs to fuel his lifestyle.

Leonhard is a very good DC but like anyone has his faults, particularly defending against slant passes, PJ's favorite.
It would be good for his development to have an older, more experienced mentor for a while.

I was wrong, Some Day, and I'm man enough to admit it. I was operating under the premise that Fickell isn't an idiot. This is catastrophically stupid and has his tenure on rocky footing before he's coached his first game. There are now inherently two factions in the sconnie camp - one loyal to Leonhard and one who is/will become loyal to Fickell. In that sense, this is a great hire for the Gophers and I'm happy that Fickell is a moron.
Don't ask me why, but I watched the whole introductory press conference with the AD and Fickell answering questions. It seemed definite this was a topic the AD and Fickell had discussed at length prior to his hiring. No idea if it was something the AD was pushing for or a condition of employment but it seems more likely than not because I can't imagine an incoming coach thinking it is a great idea.
Fickell was on board with the idea at the press conference...was it his own decision or part of the hiring process? The fact Leonard is there makes it seem the Ad's preference to me.
I 100% agree, it is a very dumb idea!!!!

Last edited:

Anyone else remember Jeter saying "loyalty one way is stupidity"? Then again, I know a guy that caught his brother with his gf and still married her...

Second thought, is Jimmy really that good as a DC? My memory is that Badgers defense has been pretty similar in recent history with Aranda and Wilcox. He didn't build anything, just kind of stepped in. I guess he never gave up 70 in Indy lol.

If he was shocked and surprised by the move, it probably means his agent wasn't working on another option. My guess this is a "work for me" and "help me keep the recruits" and I will help you get a job after bowl season. We will compensate you well for helping keep everything together and helping keep momentum going in a positive direction.

If he truly is staying long term I would be shocked. If he does, he is a bigger and better man than most. Especially if he does it with excellence. If he is not all in, then this will be a fun disaster to watch.

Last edited:

just speculating:

Leonhard is very popular with the fan base and the boosters. I assume he is popular with at least some, if not most, of the players.

keeping him on staff could be a 'political' move in order to maintain good relations with the boosters until Fickell can build up his own relationships. And, it just might convince some players or committed recruits to stick around instead of leaving.

and no one has ever questioned Leonhard's qualifications as a defensive coach. If you're a good coach, you can probably adjust or tweak your system.

so I think there are certainly reasons to keep him on staff, as long as he and Fickell can get along and work together.

nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors. there could be a 'handshake' deal for Leonhard to stick around for a year or two - maybe a deal that was sweetened with some green pieces of paper.

The players seem to like Leonard. Keeping him on gives Fickell time to win over the players and recruits and gives Leonard a soft landing until something better comes along. Both are good coaches. They'll figure it out and adapt in the short term until Fickell can get his recruits in and make it his team and Leonard finds something better. Year zero.
At a minimum, it's this.

Also possibly, Fickell has decided to let go a bit and mature as a college head coach. Guessing most of the major head coaches in the college game don't call plays on either side of the ball.

So he’s maybe sticking around for the bowl game. And then probably going somewhere else for next season. This is pretty much a total non-story.

So he’s maybe sticking around for the bowl game. And then probably going somewhere else for next season. This is pretty much a total non-story.
Maybe helps keep too many players from transferring?

If he was as shocked and surprised by the move, it probably means his agent wasn't working on another option. My guess this is a "work for me" and "help me keep the recruits" and I will help you get a job after bowl season. We will compensate you well for helping keep everything together and helping keep momentum going in a positive direction.

If he truly is staying long term I would be shocked. If he does, he is a bigger and better man than most. Especially if he does it with excellence. If he is not all in, then this will be a fun disaster to watch.
Disagree with the second paragraph completely
Staying or going says nothing about him as a man in terms of better or worse.
Ambitious people with pride are not worse people by nature.

If he was as shocked and surprised by the move, it probably means his agent wasn't working on another option. My guess this is a "work for me" and "help me keep the recruits" and I will help you get a job after bowl season. We will compensate you well for helping keep everything together and helping keep momentum going in a positive direction.

Agreed. I'm surprised he's "staying" for any period. But if he's there one year from today, I'll be shocked.

So JL staying with becky is a fluid situation?
Ya no I don’t know…

Somehow I messed up my response to you guy. See above
Those two statements don’t contradict each other. He is neither a great quarterback nor a d3 QB

Maybe you are calling me out for how low I am on Petras?

Those two statements don’t contradict each other. He is neither a great quarterback nor a d3 QB

Maybe you are calling me out for how low I am on Petras?
Lol. I’m just beyond frustrated with the Mertz experiment. I hope he goes to Iowa and then he can throw the badgers a pick on the 10 yard line when they are winning the game. I feel like I’m Rosen on kfan and your trying to get me going.

Lol. I’m just beyond frustrated with the Mertz experiment. I hope he goes to Iowa and then he can throw the badgers a pick on the 10 yard line when they are winning the game. I feel like I’m Rosen on kfan and your trying to get me going.
He is pretty good but badly not clutch.
Honestly I think he could be okay at his next spot.
There is a reason his coach got fired

He is pretty good but badly not clutch.
Honestly I think he could be okay at his next spot.
There is a reason his coach got fired
That’s a good point and I have also thought that . He is kind of the anti clutch. I really wish him luck because he sure seems like a nice guy and has helped bring some nice recruits in. It think it’s really a situation of probably best for both parties, Mertz gets a fresh start and the badgers move on. Reminds me a little of the Bart Huston debacle

That’s a good point and I have also thought. He is kind of the anti clutch. I really wish him luck because he sure seems like a nice guy and has helped bring some nice recruits in. It think it’s really a situation of probably best for both parties, Mertz gets a fresh start and the badgers move on. Reminds me a little of the Bart Huston debacle
I mean in a long time of good teams wisconsin has had one really high level performing QB and it happened to be a 6 month rental (Wilson)

Go back a little further to Tolzien in 2010?
The last time they had home grown high level QB play.
2010 is a long time ago

It’s like Bart Houston if Bart Houston went 14/15 for 13 touchdowns in his first career start

Top Bottom