Jim Jackson out coaching Pitino

Gabe isn't a bad defender. However, Pitino put a label on him because he was shooting so poorly and all of the lazy announcers ran with it. I haven't seen him shut anyone down this year. Gach is much quicker and longer.

We should all pray hard that doesn't happen.

All that will accomplish is getting us another couple seasons of fail and delay the needed and inevitable firing.

Pitino isn't going to suddenly get good. A fluke run will be just that...a fluke.

Much like hitting 17 threes and topping Iowa was fool's gold.

It's not about "a run," or at least it shouldn't be.

It should be about sustainable excellence.

So tell us. Which Gopher plays better perimeter D?

Silence.

Hmm. That's what I thought.

Kalshuer isn't a "great perimeter defender," any more than he's a "great 3 point shooter," but its what supporters are left with when they can no longer pretend he is "just in a slump."

If you are going to post a Gopher for a game tying three, who is the best choice?

Here is my list:

1. Robbins - Probably the highest % on the team
2. Carr - but he isn't a catch and shooter
3. Mashburn
4. Williams
5. Johnson

6. Gach
7. Kalesheur

Really pathetic that our two upper classmen wings suck so badly from deep.

Kalshuer isn't a "great perimeter defender," any more than he's a "great 3 point shooter," but its what supporters are left with when they can no longer pretend he is "just in a slump."
I mean you can hate on him all you want to but he's a good defender. Best in the conference like Pitino says? No I don't think so. However, to say he's a BAD defender is too much. Gabe is our best perimeter defender and has been the best on the floor in a lot of games I've watched. If he's bad few are mediocre and there isn't a stud one in the Big Ten.

So tell us. Which Gopher plays better perimeter D?

I mean you can hate on him all you want to but he's a good defender. Best in the conference like Pitino says? No I don't think so. However, to say he's a BAD defender is too much. Gabe is our best perimeter defender and has been the best on the floor in a lot of games I've watched. If he's bad few are mediocre and there isn't a stud one in the Big Ten.
I never said he is "bad." I said he's not "great" as some here maintain.

Certainly not good enough to justify being a starter on a quality B1G level basketball team.

I never said he is "bad." I said he's not "great" as some here maintain.

Certainly not good enough to justify being a starter on a quality B1G level basketball team.
Gotcha. Well we can agree he's not great however he is our best as Carr, Gach, Mashburn, and Williams are all worse than him. You either sacrifice on offense with Gabe shooting or on defense and these guys blow by Mashburn.

Gotcha. Well we can agree he's not great however he is our best as Carr, Gach, Mashburn, and Williams are all worse than him. You either sacrifice on offense with Gabe shooting or on defense and these guys blow by Mashburn.

I'm thinking that if I get some time this week, I may try to go through the game-by-game stats of all the wings that Gabe K. has guarded this season. Long work hours may prevent that, so if one of you retired guys wants to dedicate an hour to that, I'd welcome the effort. Something tell me that it's likely that in most cases we will find that the guy that Gabe was responsible for had one of his two worst games of the season against Minn.

Somebody mentioned earlier that Rutgers specifically went after Carr and Mash for most of the game because they could not stop the Rutgers guards. We rarely run into that with the guy that Gabe is guarding. It would help if Gach was playing defense the way we hoped he would when he came in, so we could minimize those mismatches.

You really have to do that by watching the possessions for each game ... I remember specifically against OSU, Gabe was guarding Washington and he was getting nothing. Gabe went to the bench and Washington immediately went for 2-3 threes over Marcus.

You really have to do that by watching the possessions for each game ... I remember specifically against OSU, Gabe was guarding Washington and he was getting nothing. Gabe went to the bench and Washington immediately went for 2-3 threes over Marcus.

Yeah, you're right. Even more so, it gives you an idea of each players positioning in a team (help) concept, prior to their guy getting the ball, which most coaches will agree that in most cases, it's the work you're doing before your guy gets the ball that can make or break a defensive strategy. It's amazing how much film these coaches watch (game and practices/ team & individual) to assess what each guy is doing away from the ball every day and what effect it has on the overall plan. A coach that I currently cover actually grades his players on their team and individual defense for every single practice.

Additionally, we don't know what specifically the coaches told the players to do in each situation during the morning shoot-around. I.e., "go under screen in this situation with this player but always go over the screen against this guy, unless X, Y, or Z is happening". Of course, we're not privy to exactly what X, Y or Z is, so it's hard to tell from the TV screen if the guy made a bad play or if he did exactly what the coach told him to do in the shoot around.

I was just thinking that going over game to game stats of our opponents would give a general idea of the difference in shots taken and made against us as compared to the rest of their schedule.

I think it was the maryland game, but I recall the announcers saying coaches around the league will tell you kalscheur is a top defender in the BIG. So everyone can think what they want, but I would think the BIG coaches know alittle more than we do.

He is a very, very good defender. And he's decent enough inside the arc offensively - and he even has a pretty quick first step lately. What kills us is that he shoots WAY too many 3s. He should be trying 2-3 per game MAX. If he makes a couple, more leeway. If not, he needs to shut that down. It's killing us. He was 1-9 on threes tonight, for God's sake. Nine attempts? WTF??

He also missed a 12 ft jumper and a free throw. His defense, as Good as it is, has to improve.

He is a very, very good defender. And he's decent enough inside the arc offensively - and he even has a pretty quick first step lately. What kills us is that he shoots WAY too many 3s. He should be trying 2-3 per game MAX. If he makes a couple, more leeway. If not, he needs to shut that down. It's killing us. He was 1-9 on threes tonight, for God's sake. Nine attempts? WTF??
Alot of them were wide open too. Then after he made the one the announcers were like oh he really needed that one for confidence. Maybe that will get him going! Lol sick and tired of hearing that every game lol

He's fine as a defender, but any coach with a brain tells him to quit shooting. Take the ball to the basket and get to the line, or get it out of your hands fast and make the defense move. I don't want him taking more than 2-3 shots a game if I am coach.

He's fine as a defender, but any coach with a brain tells him to quit shooting. Take the ball to the basket and get to the line, or get it out of your hands fast and make the defense move. I don't want him taking more than 2-3 shots a game if I am coach.
Pitino wants him to shoot when he is open and it is a quality shot. I am in the minority that thinks that will pay off in a way that we never forget. Certainly possible that I will be wrong but I still believe.

Pitino wants him to shoot when he is open and it is a quality shot. I am in the minority that thinks that will pay off in a way that we never forget. Certainly possible that I will be wrong but I still believe.
How many 1-9s until we get the payoff? This is a serious question. He's on a 1.5 year slump. He needs to focus on parts of his game that are working. Maybe when he's not so focused on getting his shot straightened out, he will look up and his efficiency will have improved and then he can have more rope. Half his shots yesterday looked like me, just God awful.

How many 1-9s until we get the payoff? This is a serious question. He's on a 1.5 year slump. He needs to focus on parts of his game that are working. Maybe when he's not so focused on getting his shot straightened out, he will look up and his efficiency will have improved and then he can have more rope. Half his shots yesterday looked like me, just God awful.
Can not disagree. No need for 9 threes. Would like to see him post, work inside out until he finds confidence and rhythm . Pitino is banking on him shooting his way out of it.

Can not disagree. No need for 9 threes. Would like to see him post, work inside out until he finds confidence and rhythm . Pitino is banking on him shooting his way out of it.
I agree with your conclusion. And I don't like it. This erratic shooting three point team is far too reliant on the three point shot as a staple of the offense. Bring back the high-low set!!

Just remember the line was moved back another foot this year. The extra foot makes a big difference for some shooters. Gabe seems to be okay inside the arc but his troubles seem to multiply outside that line. Having been an outside guy myself I can speak from experience, keep backing up and that shot becomes more difficult and just a little off becomes more as you back up.

Just remember the line was moved back another foot this year. The extra foot makes a big difference for some shooters. Gabe seems to be okay inside the arc but his troubles seem to multiply outside that line. Having been an outside guy myself I can speak from experience, keep backing up and that shot becomes more difficult and just a little off becomes more as you back up.
Ok...and? Keep shooting? No. Wrong answer.

Top Bottom