Jim Jackson out coaching Pitino

Marcus Carr played a great game until the last 4 minutes of the game. Then he reverted to dribble-dribble-shoot. Just terrible. Really sad, because he played so well the first 36 minutes of the game.
Exactly right. He was really good all game. Bizarre to see him walking the ball up with 30 seconds left. There was only one outcome at that point. A jacked up three.

Exactly right. He was really good all game. Bizarre to see him walking the ball up with 30 seconds left. There was only one outcome at that point. A jacked up three.
It's stating the obvious here, but the play was for Carr to drive the ball all the way to the basket in like 2.2 seconds with Gabe and Mashburn planted at the 3 point line, Robbins and Johnson looking for dish offs. The question is, why didn't they know that?

Marcus Carr played a great game until the last 4 minutes of the game. Then he reverted to dribble-dribble-shoot. Just terrible. Really sad, because he played so well the first 36 minutes of the game.
He's sloppy with the ball, turned it over a few times, and nearly did other times. Just a sloppy player.

It's stating the obvious here, but the play was for Carr to drive the ball all the way to the basket in like 2.2 seconds with Gabe and Mashburn planted at the 3 point line, Robbins and Johnson looking for dish offs. The question is, why didn't they know that?
Yes, except given those shooters I’d prefer Johnson and Robbins sliding to the corner if Carr would pass.
But with everybody out Carr is one on one or has an open 3 from somebody.
The wheel with Gach attacking was nicely set up. Even better if there was a designed screen to run his defender into.

A huge point, which goes back to Pitino: For the past two seasons Carr is absolutely gassed/spent at the end of games because he plays too many minutes and carries too heavy a load, because we haven't recruited any depth.
Carr actually sat down prior to the under 8 timeout. The clock didn't stop until something like 7:10 and he had been sitting at least a few game time minutes at that point. Adding up all the time, he probably sat nearly 10 minutes. He should not have been gassed, but the way he bounced the ball up the court late in the game - while uncontested - struck me as odd. High bounces, multiple bounces without touching it, etc. I just found it strange. Maybe reading in too much, not sure.

I was at the Clemson game at what turned out to be Dan Monson's last game. The team completely mailed it in and got trounced. I walked out of the building saying that guy has to go or we are dropping our tickets and he was fired the next day.

This game tonight was an entirely different type of game - nobody questions Pitino's team's effort. But this team also has talent and his teams seem to all have talent (not so much on the depth - but this year there is a bit). All that said, it makes this one feel similar. We should have won that game. We needed to win that game. There's no reason we didn't win that game. Yet they lost. Again. In similar fashion.

I don't think he'll be fired tomorrow, but I do think it will take a massive resurgence to hold his job.

I was at the Clemson game at what turned out to be Dan Monson's last game. The team completely mailed it in and got trounced. I walked out of the building saying that guy has to go or we are dropping our tickets and he was fired the next day.

This game tonight was an entirely different type of game - nobody questions Pitino's team's effort. But this team also has talent and his teams seem to all have talent (not so much on the depth - but this year there is a bit). All that said, it makes this one feel similar. We should have won that game. We needed to win that game. There's no reason we didn't win that game. Yet they lost. Again. In similar fashion.

I don't think he'll be fired tomorrow, but I do think it will take a massive resurgence to hold his job.
And yet Monson still had a better B10 win % than Pitino when he was fired...And we all know what he was dealing with when he took over the program.

Carr actually sat down prior to the under 8 timeout. The clock didn't stop until something like 7:10 and he had been sitting at least a few game time minutes at that point. Adding up all the time, he probably sat nearly 10 minutes. He should not have been gassed, but the way he bounced the ball up the court late in the game - while uncontested - struck me as odd. High bounces, multiple bounces without touching it, etc. I just found it strange. Maybe reading in too much, not sure.

Good to know that the previous mental wear and tear of the season/game had no effect, because he got a break small tonight, only to be doubled/trapped incessantly.

but I do think it will take a massive resurgence to hold his job.
We should all pray hard that doesn't happen.

All that will accomplish is getting us another couple seasons of fail and delay the needed and inevitable firing.

Pitino isn't going to suddenly get good. A fluke run will be just that...a fluke.

Much like hitting 17 threes and topping Iowa was fool's gold.

It's not about "a run," or at least it shouldn't be.

It should be about sustainable excellence.

Watched the Timberwolves blow a game last night because in the last 5 minutes DeAngelo Russell wouldn't set up anybody and dribbled the damn ball aimlessly only to take a wild shot. Different teams, different point guards, but it was like watching a rerun tonight--Carr instead of Russell looking to be the hero and Pitino instead of Saunders who won't or can't make him change.

A huge point, which goes back to Pitino: For the past two seasons Carr is absolutely gassed/spent at the end of games because he plays too many minutes and carries too heavy a load, because we haven't recruited any depth.

I don't think it is a depth issue this year. They have the perfect compliment to Carr in a guy that is getting valuable minutes, isn't an embarrassment when in there, and should be able to step in next year. I think many teams would love to have Mashburn as a freshman backup point guard.

The issue for me is they don't know how to close out games. How many times this year have we seen the Gophers either take the air out the ball with a couple minutes left or had Carr trying to create 1 on 3? I know he has made a couple (Iowa/LMU) but more often than not it has led to a desperation heave. Last night was the worst because not only was it a bad shot but it wasn't even the right strategy. Thirty seconds left called for a drive to the basket as others have said. Just bizarre and ultimately on Pitino.

I don't think it is a depth issue this year. They have the perfect compliment to Carr in a guy that is getting valuable minutes, isn't an embarrassment when in there, and should be able to step in next year. I think many teams would love to have Mashburn as a freshman backup point guard.

The issue for me is they don't know how to close out games. How many times this year have we seen the Gophers either take the air out the ball with a couple minutes left or had Carr trying to create 1 on 3? I know he has made a couple (Iowa/LMU) but more often than not it has led to a desperation heave. Last night was the worst because not only was it a bad shot but it wasn't even the right strategy. Thirty seconds left called for a drive to the basket as others have said. Just bizarre and ultimately on Pitino.
I went off on Carr in a previous post saying Pitino can't or won't make Carr change. Today I see in the paper that was the plan Pitino came up with.

I placed too much blame on Carr and not enough on his coach. "We ran a play that won us a lot of games,' said Pitino." You've got to be frick'n kidding me.

I saw that quote as well ...

I wonder if you asked all D1, D2 and D3 coaches, “32 seconds on the clock, down 3, you’re in the bonus against an average at best free throw shooting team ... what do you do?”

How many would come up with “run out the clock to force up an easy to defend game tying 3 that every team has seen in their scouting report.”

it’s very possible he’s the only one!

See, this is another issue. Mashburn should play 30 minutes. It's obvious he is the most skilled player outside of Carr and Robbins.

Gabe is not suddenly just going to get good. I would bench him and only play him 7-8 minutes a game from now on. Mashburn NEEDS to start. Flat out. Anyone that can't see that doesn't have their eyes open.

See, this is another issue. Mashburn should play 30 minutes. It's obvious he is the most skilled player outside of Carr and Robbins.

Gabe is not suddenly just going to get good. I would bench him and only play him 7-8 minutes a game from now on. Mashburn NEEDS to start. Flat out. Anyone that can't see that doesn't have their eyes open.
Saw this from Ryan James (247) ... more complicated than you’re making it:

“Two. Rutgers Attacks the Small Guards. Rutgers made 26 of 49 attempts shooting 53 percent for the game plus made 18 of 25 foul shots which is actually a big step up from their very foul shooting. Geo Baker had 16 points making 5 of 8 field goal attempts and all four free throws. Caleb McConnell scored 14 points hitting five shots and 3 of 4 foul shots. Montez Mathis scored three times near the rim and Jacob Young scored on four possessions. The majority of the scores from these four players came against Jamal Mashburn Jr and Marcus Carr. The Gopher guard pair are two of the best offensive weapons that Minnesota has so they have to play of course. The problem is neither Gopher is very big and Rutgers attacked both players all game long for positive results. Rutgers went at Carr and Mashburn off of ball screens (for scores and assists to others), they isolated them in the post, and they moved the ball to their bigger guards for clean jumpers and isolated attacks. Late in the game Pitino seemed to want Mashburn on the floor but after Rutgers went at Mashburn twice Pitino made the switch to Both Gach. Jamal scored ten points hitting a pair of threes and all of his foul shots but with Carr playing 36 minutes a game Jamal has to be on the floor with Carr most of the time. And when they are on the floor teams go at their size. Especially Rutgers who uses a fairly big group of guards and wings.”

Saw this from Ryan James (247) ... more complicated than you’re making it:

“Two. Rutgers Attacks the Small Guards. Rutgers made 26 of 49 attempts shooting 53 percent for the game plus made 18 of 25 foul shots which is actually a big step up from their very foul shooting. Geo Baker had 16 points making 5 of 8 field goal attempts and all four free throws. Caleb McConnell scored 14 points hitting five shots and 3 of 4 foul shots. Montez Mathis scored three times near the rim and Jacob Young scored on four possessions. The majority of the scores from these four players came against Jamal Mashburn Jr and Marcus Carr. The Gopher guard pair are two of the best offensive weapons that Minnesota has so they have to play of course. The problem is neither Gopher is very big and Rutgers attacked both players all game long for positive results. Rutgers went at Carr and Mashburn off of ball screens (for scores and assists to others), they isolated them in the post, and they moved the ball to their bigger guards for clean jumpers and isolated attacks. Late in the game Pitino seemed to want Mashburn on the floor but after Rutgers went at Mashburn twice Pitino made the switch to Both Gach. Jamal scored ten points hitting a pair of threes and all of his foul shots but with Carr playing 36 minutes a game Jamal has to be on the floor with Carr most of the time. And when they are on the floor teams go at their size. Especially Rutgers who uses a fairly big group of guards and wings.”

Play him and play him often. The rest of them turn the ball over or miss shots.

But according to Pitino Carr's last two desperation shots (last two possessions) were designed plays from the time outs. Richard apparently didn't think the other guys might be looking for Carr to take the shots.

Gabe is, by far, our best defensive wing. I wish he knocked down shots too, but our perimeter defense needs Gabe.

Gabe is, by far, our best defensive wing. I wish he knocked down shots too, but our perimeter defense needs Gabe.
I'm pretty tired of hearing how great Kalshuer's defense is.

It's not even true.

Top Bottom