Jim Delany: Rose Bowl might not exist if players are paid

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

Jim Delany said the idea of paying players goes against the entire college experience and he couldn't see league members agreeing to it. If some did, he said, they likely would be kicked out of the conference because the move would create an imbalance among schools that could not be resolved.

The longtime commissioner said it also would bring about the end of the Rose Bowl as a traditional New Year's Day game between Big Ten and Pac-12 teams.

"There wouldn't be a Rose Bowl if either they or we were operating in a very different wavelength in terms of paying players," Delany said.

Delany followed NCAA President Mark Emmert to the witness stand in a landmark antitrust suit brought by former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon and others. They dispute the NCAA's contention that college sports would be thrown into turmoil if players win the right to be paid for the use of their names, images and likenesses in television broadcasts and videogames.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/264028441.html

Go Gophers!!

per the AP:

Jim Delany said the idea of paying players goes against the entire college experience and he couldn't see league members agreeing to it. If some did, he said, they likely would be kicked out of the conference because the move would create an imbalance among schools that could not be resolved.

The longtime commissioner said it also would bring about the end of the Rose Bowl as a traditional New Year's Day game between Big Ten and Pac-12 teams.

"There wouldn't be a Rose Bowl if either they or we were operating in a very different wavelength in terms of paying players," Delany said.

Delany followed NCAA President Mark Emmert to the witness stand in a landmark antitrust suit brought by former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon and others. They dispute the NCAA's contention that college sports would be thrown into turmoil if players win the right to be paid for the use of their names, images and likenesses in television broadcasts and videogames.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/264028441.html

Go Gophers!!

I'm surprised Delany didn't suggest two types of players, leaders (those that get paid) and legends (those that don't).

I happen to agree with Jungle Jim on this.

Crying wolf and fear tactics. Pardon me while I shed crocodile tears.

Why is it ok to currently allow teams to pay players under the table? Shouldn't we kick out those schools? Or does Delaney believe in the "head-in-the-sand" theory?"

Give high school kids an option other than essentially forcing them to college so that paying them isn't even in the conversation. Guys like Johnny Football lose millions of dollars because they have to go to college first. I don't think college athletes should be paid for the most part, but the 1% of elite players get screwed by the system.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm not going to cite any sources (at work and don't want to put in the leg work anyway), but I have a feeling that an actual minor league system for the NFL is developing sooner rather than later.

I don't see how kids earning money from their likeness, name, etc that is held in trust until they graduate or leave school is going to be the death of the NCAA.

The funny thing is, they used the same **** in the 70s about olympic athletes and the changes haven't ruined track and field or swimming.

Just spitballing, but lets take O'Bannon et al at their word and they aren't really students. They're just there to make money for the schools and the NCAA.

If the NCAA and amateurism goes away per the O'Kessler lawsuit wouldn't it make more sense for the schools to hire ex NFLers at fraction of the cost of scholarship students since there would be no repercussions and they are considered employees? The level of competitive play would increase, everyone gets paid, everyone wins. Right? The schools willing to shell out money would rise to the top. MN would have a chance

The schools could still justify the existence of these teams and stadium/facilities as internship sites for business, health programs, etc.

:cool02:

mcal24;900313[B said:
]Give high school kids an option other than essentially forcing them to college[/B] so that paying them isn't even in the conversation. Guys like Johnny Football lose millions of dollars because they have to go to college first. I don't think college athletes should be paid for the most part, but the 1% of elite players get screwed by the system.

Why is it the B1G's job to create a league to compete with itself? Do you really believe that the B1G's ability to have an amateur league should be decided based on what rules an unaffiliated organization (the NFL) sets for its players?

The big money contracts the Commissioner is creating with the Big Ten Network is helping to bring the entire college athletics thing down. Don't blame the players. They see the greed that their conference, their school, the administrators of their school, their athletic director, their head coach, their coordinators, their position coaches and the same thing happening in all the other conference member institutions. They also see the greed and the incredible money grab going on at all five major conferences. And, pretty soon, the student athletes start getting greedy too.

The NCAA is attempting to do a money grab in their competitions with the nfl, mlb, the nba, the nhl and the Olympic sports. All this tv money is wrecking college sports. Why even buy a season football ticket when all the games are televised? The student athletes see their head coach get HUGE salary raises even after a "so-so" season. The same with their coordinators...and their position coaches. They see their jersey number being sold on line and at the school book store and in retail outlets. Everything is licensed, sanctioned and put up for sale to the highest bidder.

Our student athletes are NOT stupid. They can see all of this stuff going on all around them.

And Delaney defends multi-million dollar salaries for coaches?

We take the student athletes out of the class room even more. We make "optional" practices and work outs pretty much mandated IF the student athlete does not want to get in the dog-house of the head coach, coordinator, position coach, strength coach, et al. We work them and feed them to get bigger, stronger, faster. We demand more of their time to develop techniques that will make them "killer" blockers, tacklers, destroyers of the opposition. And then we wonder why concussions are becoming such a problem? And we still don't even really know just how much damage too many concussions will do later in life to our student athletes.

Jim Delaney needs to search his soul. No, players should not unionize. Players should be students. Football Coaches should PROTECT their student athletes, teach them, help them to become better students...better people...better prepared for life.

Money will be the death of Division I College football and basketball. And Jim Delaney only appears to want to protect the money machine that he is creating for the Big Ten Conference. He wants to enrich head coaches. He talks about "student athletes"...but...his actions speak much louder than his words...

Give high school kids an option other than essentially forcing them to college so that paying them isn't even in the conversation. Guys like Johnny Football lose millions of dollars because they have to go to college first. I don't think college athletes should be paid for the most part, but the 1% of elite players get screwed by the system.

Johnny Manziel? A three star high school recruit that sat on the bench for a year?

Think again. College made him the star he is.

Fricken 1% of elite athletes my ass. Johnny Manziel should be licking the NCAA's feet for all the money it made him. He is an absolutely horrible example for the argument you just made.

He would be living off of daddy's money without college football, and now he's going to get paid millions of dollars to have his career promptly die in the sports hell hole of the world.

Johnny Manziel? A three star high school recruit that sat on the bench for a year?

Think again. College made him the star he is.

Fricken 1% of elite athletes my ass. Johnny Manziel should be licking the NCAA's feet for all the money it made him.
Alright, maybe a bad example, but you know what I was trying to say. In basketball, guys like Andrew Wiggins, who was compared to LeBron right out of high school, are getting screwed over. He lost millions for the 1 year he had to go to college, and risked injury. Again, I think a scholarship is plenty of payment for most, just unfair for a few that get nothing out of it. What good is an education, realistically, for these millions dollars draft picks?

And also, you said Johnny Manziel has to thank the NCAA for the star it made him, which is part of my point as well. High schoolers are essentially forced to go to college because it is the only way they can get exposure. There is no other option.

I'm not saying it's the NCAA or the university's fault either, it's just a bad system as of right now.

Why is it the B1G's job to create a league to compete with itself? Do you really believe that the B1G's ability to have an amateur league should be decided based on what rules an unaffiliated organization (the NFL) sets for its players?
I'm not saying it's the B1Gs fault, there just needs to be an option for kids out of high school that isn't college.

Alright, maybe a bad example, but you know what I was trying to say. In basketball, guys like Andrew Wiggins, who was compared to LeBron right out of high school, are getting screwed over. He lost millions for the 1 year he had to go to college, and risked injury. Again, I think a scholarship is plenty of payment for most, just unfair for a few that get nothing out of it. What good is an education, realistically, for these millions dollars draft picks?

And also, you said Johnny Manziel has to thank the NCAA for the star it made him, which is part of my point as well. High schoolers are essentially forced to go to college because it is the only way they can get exposure. There is no other option.

I'm not saying it's the NCAA or the university's fault either, it's just a bad system as of right now.

It's the NFL's fault he couldn't get drafted after 1 year of playing. He was certainly welcome to go play in the CFL or the Arena football league for his RS Sophomore season.

It's the NFL's fault he couldn't get drafted after 1 year of playing. He was certainly welcome to go play in the CFL or the Arena football league for that 2nd year.
Yep, that's why I said it wasn't the NCAAs fault.

But honestly, how practical is it to play in the CFL? That's my point, college is essentially the only option.

Yep, that's why I said it wasn't the NCAAs fault.

But honestly, how practical is it to play in the CFL? That's my point, college is essentially the only option.

Not the case at all. If you're good enough, the NFL scouts will find you. If the kids want a pay day, they know where they can get it. Go play in the CFL or Arena league for 3 years and then get drafted into the NFL.

Even more so for basketball players, there are tons of options oversees for 18 year olds to get a pay day. Go play overseas for 2 years and then get drafted into the NBA.

Not the case at all. If you're good enough, the NFL scouts will find you. If the kids want a pay day, they know where they can get it. Go play in the CFL for 3 years and then get drafted into the NFL.

Even more so for basketball players, there are tons of options oversees for 18 year olds to get a pay day. Go play overseas for 2 years and then get drafted into the NBA.
College football and college basketball are the way to get your name out there and make an image for yourself. Would Johnny Football make millions of dollars on a Nike deal if he played in the CFL? Most likely no. The 2 college sports are in the top 5 or 6 in popularity in America.

We can disagree, but I don't think it's practical at all to go play somewhere besides college. There isn't much of a choice to make.

College football and college basketball are the way to get your name out there and make an image for yourself. Would Johnny Football make millions of dollars on a Nike deal if he played in the CFL? Most likely no. The 2 college sports are in the top 5 or 6 in popularity in America.

We can disagree, but I don't think it's practical at all to go play somewhere besides college. There isn't much of a choice to make.

I agree with you, but there certainly is a choice:

1. Get your pay day on day 1. Stand out as a player. Get drafted 3 years later. If you don't make it to the show, well, community college is a good place to start.

2. Get an education. Make a name for yourself. Make millions 3-5 years later. If you don't make it to the NFL, at least you've got a nice piece of paper and "D1 Athlete" to put on your resume.

One option gets you that pay day on day 1 with an opportunity to make it to the show. The other gets you on national tv and/or a college degree and an opportunity to make it to the show.

I know which option I'm choosing. But the kids who want the cash right away can certainly get it. It's not the NCAA's responsibility to give them the best of both worlds.

I agree with you, but there certainly is a choice:

1. Get your pay day on day 1. Stand out as a player. Get drafted 3 years later. If you don't make it to the show, well, community college is a good place to start.

2. Get an education. Make a name for yourself. Make millions 3-5 years later. If you don't make it to the NFL, at least you've got a nice piece of paper and "D1 Athlete" to put on your resume.

One option gets you that pay day on day 1 with an opportunity to make it to the show. The other gets you on national tv and/or a college degree and an opportunity to make it to the show.

I know which option I'm choosing. But the kids who want the cash right away can certainly get it. It's not the NCAA's responsibility to give them the best of both worlds.
I just don't understand why you can't split the TV revenue with the player. Isn't that a true indicator of the money being made for these schools?

Anyway, I would bet money that in 5-10 years college athletes will be paid something, even if it is only $8 an hour for their time or something like that.

Actually, the CFL has even more stringent entry requirements than the NFL. I believe they have to complete 4 years of college. For NFL a player merely has to be 3 years removed from high school. No college is required.

The arena league will take anyone 18 and up.

This is all clearly the NCAA's fault.

Kind of like Bitcoin's faux-currency competitors, anyone could start a professional football league/faux online currency system. The problem with competitors to the NCAA or NFL, as with online currencies, is that if nobody buys into it or shows up, does it really exist or matter?

Students should sue states for requiring law or medical degrees to practice. I mean, why should they be required to go through schooling and an internship and all the other hurdles to practice? Because its required by any employer, which is required by the state? Can't they just learn a profession with a library card and the boxed set of House MD? It's a cartel preventing a man from making a living. What other options do these kids have??

Just spitballing, but lets take O'Bannon et al at their word and they aren't really students. They're just there to make money for the schools and the NCAA. If the NCAA and amateurism goes away per the O'Kessler lawsuit wouldn't it make more sense for the schools to hire ex NFLers at fraction of the cost of scholarship students since there would be no repercussions and they are considered employees? The level of competitive play would increase, everyone gets paid, everyone wins. Right? The schools willing to shell out money would rise to the top. MN would have a chance The schools could still justify the existence of these teams and stadium/facilities as internship sites for business, health programs, etc. :cool02:

Agree. Why not. Adam Weber is better than Leidner. Bring him back.

I told you, we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fxGqcCeV3qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not saying it's the B1Gs fault, there just needs to be an option for kids out of high school that isn't college.

But why should the B1G's hands be tied because of what the NFL requires for entry requirements or what other leagues don't form? If the NCAA and the NFL collaborated to make an agreement that said NCAA experience was a prerequisite to NFL membership, I'd be on board with you. However, the NCAA and the B1G have no control over what the NFL requires its players to do, so why should they have less options because the NFL requires several years out of high school?

The NFL and the NBA 'USE' college basketball and football as a paid for minor league. That is where the lawsuits should be directed.

If college spots need to change, make the changes more toward amateurism.

I wonder if former players ever considered flipping the script and selling merchandise with the school/ NCAA logo on it?

Let the ripping begin...

When did the concept of amateurism in the USA become the ideal? It is an offensive concept to the American idea of self determination, which includes getting as much for your value as you can muster.

The question of ownership of the game of football played by "amateurs" should be called into question. Who owns the amateur game? If the game is truly an amateur game, then all broadcast of that game must be free for all to watch if broadcast. No ticketing should be allowed as the game is just as open as a game being played in a public park. If you want to watch, it is part of the public domain.

If you think it is not part of the public domain, then it really is not an amateur sport. It is a business, which the US Supreme Court has ALREADY classified it as. So, to say that the BIG can kick out any school for recognizing the true employee status of the players would be an interference in trade. Jim is obviously trying to keep the amateur status thing going to keep the NCAA from imploding, which is a lost cause.

There are too many here who do not understand the definition of employee, human rights, public goods, etc.

I chalk that up to poor state of education on human rights of any type and the emerging cultural shift away from democratic values to plantation values.

When did the concept of amateurism in the USA become the ideal? It is an offensive concept to the American idea of self determination, which includes getting as much for your value as you can muster.

The question of ownership of the game of football played by "amateurs" should be called into question. Who owns the amateur game? If the game is truly an amateur game, then all broadcast of that game must be free for all to watch if broadcast. No ticketing should be allowed as the game is just as open as a game being played in a public park. If you want to watch, it is part of the public domain.

If you think it is not part of the public domain, then it really is not an amateur sport. It is a business, which the US Supreme Court has ALREADY classified it as. So, to say that the BIG can kick out any school for recognizing the true employee status of the players would be an interference in trade. Jim is obviously trying to keep the amateur status thing going to keep the NCAA from imploding, which is a lost cause.

There are too many here who do not understand the definition of employee, human rights, public goods, etc.

I chalk that up to poor state of education on human rights of any type and the emerging cultural shift away from democratic values to plantation values.

Owners and employers want us to be grateful for what we have and shut up. They use employee jealousy to tear better compensated workers down instead of demanding to be paid like those employees. Owners and employers believe workers are motivated by making less money while the owners and employers are motivated by more money.

The NCAA is no different. It is probably worse.

And that's the problem I have with a lot of the arguments I see. You're talking about a very tiny percentage of athletes that are "getting screwed over" because this situation. Yet some people argue like a majority of them could be making millions right away in the NBA or NFL. Believe it or not, most athletes take their education seriously.

They are "forced" as you say because college football is the only option that is very popular. I'm not really understanding this argument to be honest. Do we need to have another option that is popular to fans for it to be fair? If a minor league system was in place and a guy like Manziel played in that instead of college football, would he be making the endorsement money he is now? The popularity of college football is helping him make a ton of money.

Top Bottom