Jim Boeheim says success measured by NCAA tourney, takes shot at Big Ten

There is a big difference between being a bad basketball conference and not winning in the NCAA tournament. Very few schools win the NCAA tournament. Typically you need 4 D1 Talents on the team, with one of those being a star. B1G programs have missed out on the high end talent, but are stacked in mid tier talent. Its why we win, but don't win big. I would put our 4th and 5th best teams up against any league, any year. But top 3 is often another story. B1G is great in basketball, but more as a deep league vs. a top heavy win the tournament type of team. I think they do more to prepare athletes for the grind of the NBA than any other.

There is a big difference between being a bad basketball conference and not winning in the NCAA tournament. Very few schools win the NCAA tournament. Typically you need 4 D1 Talents on the team, with one of those being a star. B1G programs have missed out on the high end talent, but are stacked in mid tier talent. Its why we win, but don't win big. I would put our 4th and 5th best teams up against any league, any year. But top 3 is often another story. B1G is great in basketball, but more as a deep league vs. a top heavy win the tournament type of team. I think they do more to prepare athletes for the grind of the NBA than any other.
The conference generally gets about 1-3 5 star recruits each year. There are usually around 25-30 5* guys. But the Big Ten usually gets a lot from the next group (high end 4* guys).

In 2022, for example, the BT signed just one of the 26 5* guys. But then signed 6 of the guys ranked 27-47. Still a lot of talent in that group.

In 2023 so far, the BT again has one of the 26 5* guys committed, but has 7 commitments from guys ranked 27-50.

This is using 247 composite.

Kansas wins the Big-12 every year and always gets a 1-seed and easy path to the Final Four. Same with Kentucky & Gonzaga. That doesn't mean their conferences are better than the Big Ten.
Nope. Just that they are better than any teams in the Big Ten

Everyone said that Penn State and Nebraska would come in and win the Big Ten every year too.
In football? What does that have to do with anything about the B10 success in the NCAA tournament?

I would put it this way.

The Big Ten deserves the chiding it receives for its tournament performance, especially the no national title since 2000. That’s unacceptable.

That said, that doesn’t mean they haven’t deserved (most of) the hefty amount of bids they’ve received. No matter what Jim Boeheim thinks, bids are earned in the regular season. At-large bids aren’t team or conference birthrights, they’re earned. Traditionally strong conferences like the Big Ten and ACC (among others) have had down years where their bid total was unusually low (3 or 4).

I’m rambling; anyways, I’ve always said, teams get bids, not conferences. That’s always been true. Everyone is an independent when being considered for one of the 36 at-large bids.
Not to mention, these ACC coaches don't speak up about this topic on the years where the ACC is out early and the Big Ten teams fair well.
(every other year or so).

Top Bottom