Jerry Kill's resignation touches fans of Saginaw Valley State football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per MLive.com:

There's a message on Joe Jacobs' phone that he refuses to erase.

It's a message from his former football coach's wife. It didn't create the bond, but it certainly cemented it.

"When my mother passed away a couple years ago. Rebecca Kill called me and left me a message that lasted about 2 ½ minutes," said Jacobs, a former Saginaw Valley State University quarterback.

"She spent the time telling me how great my mother was and how much she and Jerry loved her. It meant a lot to me, but it didn't surprise me. That's what they were about. I will never erase that message."

Dick Thompson was the SVSU Dean of Student Affairs during Kill's years with the Cardinals and was involved in the interview process.

"We took a chance on Jerry and Jerry took a chance on us," Thompson said. "He took what George did and went one step beyond that. The way he approached his job rubbed off on the entire athletic program and the school.

"Jerry was a promoter. To this day, our alums talk about Jerry Kill. When he got the job at Minnesota, I had some friends there ask me 'Who's this guy?' All I said was that he was going to win. Parents and coaches and fans will love him and get behind him. That all turned out to be true."

http://www.mlive.com/cardinals/index.ssf/2015/10/jerry_kills_resignation_touche.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom