Jerry Kill was fired up at his press conference, and sounds off

It's actually not the whole presser. It looks like the U pulled out the best, salty parts.

I don't quite get it. Is basically saying that Carter just isn't performing well enough? I know people speculated that he needed to get bigger but that does not seem to be what Kill said.

Exactly. He's not in trouble with off-field antics, Kill's not waiting for him to get better, he's just not getting it done right now.

The full presser is up on www.gophersports.com. Highly-recommended viewing. It starts getting real good around the six minute mark.

Gotta love Coach Kill!

For those of you who have no patience for finding links like me, here you go: http://www.gophersports.com/allaccess/?media=265045

But but but "high school offenses" don't work at the D1 level...

I'd have no objection if Jerry wanted to bring back the SBV in Minnesota.

Wait, the triple option is considered a HS offense? :S I've seen the formation in high school, but never the actual option part.

But but but "high school offenses" don't work at the D1 level...

I'd have no objection if Jerry wanted to bring back the SBV in Minnesota.

I am not sure about what qualifies as a high school offense, as Malzahn has had quite a bit of success with his offense. That said an almost pure option type offense (Georgia Tech, Navy, etc) has diminishing returns. Yes, they can go crazy against a team who is not prepared for it and even do better than expected the first time through a conference schedule. Georgia Tech runs up a ton of yards against a non-conference opponent in Kansas, but it will likely be much tougher against ACC opponents who've seen Tech before. The next issue is how do you recruit to such an offense? You've got to find a QB and WR's without NFL aspirations who simply want to play college football. Essentially you will always give up talent if you choose to install such an offense.

A Triple Option QB may not become an NFL QB, but that doesn't mean they won't play in the NFL at some other position. The Triple Option did get Georgia Tech to an ACC championship. It may not be an ideal offense for wide receivers with NFL aspirations, but for running backs it can be pretty good. Plus, it gives you first pick of a athletes with a different skill set.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Calvin Johnson came from Georgia Tech. I think his NFL aspirations came true

Johnson was drafted in 2007; Paul Johnson started at GT that same year, so they never crossed paths.

Johnson was drafted in 2007; Paul Johnson started at GT that same year, so they never crossed paths.

True, but Demaryius Thomas played his last two years at Tech under Paul Johnson (who started there in 2008, not 2007) and was drafted in the 1st round as a WR. There's an argument to be made that going to a triple option offense as a WR could be a good move, because you're the #1 option and they are most likely going to be throwing to you on the rare occasions that they do. In fact, Thomas had 46 catches for 1,154 yards his junior (last) season at Tech. Also, you will have a great highlight tape available of you blocking, showing that you're an all-around player who is willing to do the little things to help your team win.

And, again - it doesn't matter where you go, or who you play for. If you're good enough, the scouts will notice, and you will get your shot in the league one way or the other.

True, but Demaryius Thomas played his last two years at Tech under Paul Johnson (who started there in 2008, not 2007) and was drafted in the 1st round as a WR. There's an argument to be made that going to a triple option offense as a WR could be a good move, because you're the #1 option and they are most likely going to be throwing to you on the rare occasions that they do. In fact, Thomas had 46 catches for 1,154 yards his junior (last) season at Tech. Also, you will have a great highlight tape available of you blocking, showing that you're an all-around player who is willing to do the little things to help your team win.

And, again - it doesn't matter where you go, or who you play for. If you're good enough, the scouts will notice, and you will get your shot in the league one way or the other.

Not disputing that Thomas was a first round pick, but he hasn't exactly lit things up in Denver. He's been banged up a lot, so that's been a contributing factor to his lack of production as a pro, so the jury is still out.

I think the problem with WRs in a pure triple option is that the passing game is not very sophisticated so it gets to be a lot of ten-yard outs and fly patterns, often against man coverage because defenses are overloading upfront to defend the option. Thomas is a great example of a guy who is an athletic freak who will have to get used to playing in the pass-happy pros. Not saying he can't do it, but the learning curve is steeper for these guys than it is for a WR who plays in a more standard offense.

What Paul Johnson does is great and he eats up a ton of teams with the option, but as we saw a couple of times last season, force them to pass and they are ordinary (of course, it didn't help them that Nesbitt got hurt). The key to beating them is linebacker play. Put a hat on the QB every play and the option can be stopped. It's not a novelty offense, but there's a reason why a lot of teams ran pure option offenses in the 1970s and very few run them today, that being, you see a lot more top-tier athletes on defense now than you did back then.

Top Bottom