Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

Lou Holtz was 10-12, never sniffed a top-half finish in the Big Ten, yet we have people on this forum that are convinced he would have been the best coach the team has ever had if only he had stayed.
( :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:)
Well, the Lou Holtz era is before half the fan base was alive…but 2 years around .500 overall back when there weren’t as many non conference games is a lot different than 4.5 seasons at .500 in my mind.

I suppose if his best season was 62% wins and worst season was 25% wins that makes sense though. I would’ve guess 35-25 in 60 games overall if I didn’t really think too hard. I remember Kill as better than 29-29.

While I liked Kill when he was our coach, the way he exited and spoke of PJ soured me on the man. That being said, I hope he succeeds at NMSU more for the team and fanbase then for Kill. If any team D1 team deserves some success more than NMSU I can't come up with one.

Lou Holtz was 10-12, never sniffed a top-half finish in the Big Ten, yet we have people on this forum that are convinced he would have been the best coach the team has ever had if only he had stayed.
I have heard that the class Holtz had coming in for 1986 was ranked in the top 3 in the country. Of course most players bailed when he left for Norte Dame. Can anyone confirm this?

If Lou holtz would have stayed... Gopher history would of been alot different....

We would of won, but Lou was cheating back then and probably would have been hit with sanctions....

If Lou holtz would have stayed... Gopher history would of been alot different....

We would of won, but Lou was cheating back then and probably would have been hit with sanctions....
"Would of?"

Tony 🍚

We did go on probation because of Holtz. Luther Darville went to prison as well.
I'll see your Lou Holtz and Luther Darville and raise you Clem Haskins and Jan Gangelhoff.

(never a dull moment for us Gopher fans)

Last edited:

If Lou Holtz would have made Minnesota his permanent home... like Barry Alvarez did in Madison... the Gophers would have made multiple trips to Pasadena, too.
IMHO, Lou's achievements in Dinkytown would have exceeded Barry's accomplishments, in terms of winning percentages, Big 10 Championships, big-time bowls, etc.

What I remember most about Lou's short reign leading the Gopher program (just 23 months?) was the energy and excitement the entire state felt, even after the Smokey Joe era crashed and burned (1-17 in their last 18 games).
Even the losses the Gophers sustained over the those 2 seasons were generally very competitive.

IIRC, the largest crowd ever to see a Gophers home game was 65,000+ back in the mid '80's. The Dome was rocking!
Lou had it firing on all cylinders... recruiting... building the Taj MaHoltz, the student body, and most notably, he had the Gophers punching well above their weight on Saturdays in the fall.

Lou was very unique, and incredible.

If Lou Holtz would have made Minnesota his permanent home... like Barry Alvarez did in Madison... the Gophers would have made multiple trips to Pasadena, too.
IMHO, Lou's achievements in Dinkytown would have exceeded Barry's accomplishments, in terms of winning percentages, Big 10 Championships, big-time bowls, etc.

What I remember most about Lou's short reign leading the Gopher program (just 23 months?) was the energy and excitement the entire state felt, even after the Smokey Joe era crashed and burned (1-17 in their last 18 games).
Even the losses the Gophers sustained over the those 2 seasons were generally very competitive.

IIRC, the largest crowd ever to see a Gophers home game was 65,000+ back in the mid '80's. The Dome was rocking!
Lou had it firing on all cylinders... recruiting... building the Taj MaHoltz, the student body, and most notably, he had the Gophers punching well above their weight on Saturdays in the fall.

Lol, Gopher football would not have been sustainable in the Metrodome. Worst environment ever.

Is that you Sid? How's heaven these days??

Lol, Gopher football would not have been sustainable in the Metrodome. Worst environment ever.

I take it you never attended a home game when Lou was coaching in dinkytown? The place was rocking like the Penn St. game a couple of years ago.

C935B362-4ACB-4B93-88AF-923A85023785.jpeg
Some spring football practice nuggets from NMSU.

I have heard that the class Holtz had coming in for 1986 was ranked in the top 3 in the country. Of course most players bailed when he left for Norte Dame. Can anyone confirm this?
Anyone who was there at the time was well-aware that the record does not reflect the improvement that was clearly taking place. Just taking a flash look at his two-year record is laziness. He took a team that routinely was throttled in 1983 and put them in a bowl game in less than two years.

In 1983 we lost to Iowa like 61-10. The next year under Holtz we beat them like 20-17 or soemthing.

In 1983 we lsot to Nebraska 84-13. The next year we lost like 31-7 in a game that was closer than that.

Lou brought in some tlaent and more imprortantly restored the team's confidence and fixed soem defensive problems.......

Anyone who was there at the time was well-aware that the record does not reflect the improvement that was clearly taking place. Just taking a flash look at his two-year record is laziness. He took a team that routinely was throttled in 1983 and put them in a bowl game in less than two years.
None of the “building stuff just didn’t see the results yet” really counts for much of he bails on the program and it is sent off the abyss of the early 90s

Top Bottom