Jerry Kill...is he the right guy?

Some coaches are successful and disliked (Saban/Harbaugh) others are successful, liked and respected Like Jerry Kill. I know that Coach Kill has not accomplished as much as coaches I listed but I like the path we are on and proud that he is our coach.

Butch: Great speech when we beat Michigan a few years back...did you happen to deliver it to a new group of fellas in the locker room this year? Has there been anything mentioned about a passionate speech before this game?

I'm enjoying the euphoria of a great win and all of the positive media feed back. I'm feeling good about the direction of our program. I know there will be more TCUs in our future, but for the moment, I'm going to savor this win. My prayer is the we can use the bye week to get healthy and remain focused. I don't want us to let down against Northwestern, or anyone else on the schedule for that matter. I think this can be a very special year. I'd like a couple of more trophies: like an axe and a pig Go Gophers.

The next 4 games will tell us an awful lot. If we don't look competent in all 4 and win 2-3 of them...I think you can begin to see the writing on the wall.

Going into the season I saw 3-1 over this stretch as something we should expect. Hopefully we can still do that.

If we go 1-3 or 2-2 with a blowout loss....kill will begin to lose the fanbase and the media...once that happens you might as well move on...almost impossible for a college coach to rebuild in a toxic environment.

Huge 4 game stretch. I thought they might go 3-1, 4-0 seems like a possibility.
Avoiding a 2-2 start is huge.

Huge 4 game stretch. I thought they might go 3-1, 4-0 seems like a possibility.
Avoiding a 2-2 start is huge.

I was a complete jack-ass, nit-picking, disloyal, untrusting Gopher fan for a few weeks there. Criticized Jerry Kill and staff and lost faith. I'm terribly sorry and embarrassed now. Hopefully, I can gain some equilibrium and keep things in perspective and realize how fortunate we are to have Jerry Kill and his staff as our leaders. A lot of you guys were right and I give you tons of credit for not losing faith, for being optimistic and for seeing what could be rather than what was missing. Good life lesson for me!

Alum, you are unique. A GopherHoler admitting a mistake. Thank you. You are forgiven.

I was a complete jack-ass, nit-picking, disloyal, untrusting Gopher fan for a few weeks there. Criticized Jerry Kill and staff and lost faith. I'm terribly sorry and embarrassed now. Hopefully, I can gain some equilibrium and keep things in perspective and realize how fortunate we are to have Jerry Kill and his staff as our leaders. A lot of you guys were right and I give you tons of credit for not losing faith, for being optimistic and for seeing what could be rather than what was missing. Good life lesson for me!

So is DoubleAlum the same as Some Guy?

Way to own up to your earlier opinion, Alum. Probably was just the emotional inner-Minnesotan sports fan/skeptic in you speaking!

The day minnesota announced Jerry Kill as the new coach, someone from wisconsin posted
"Minnesota went out to get a big name coach and all they got was Jerry ****ing kill"

Count me a Kill fan and it goes way beyond the Ws

The day minnesota announced Jerry Kill as the new coach, someone from wisconsin posted
"Minnesota went out to get a big name coach and all they got was Jerry ****ing kill"

Count me a Kill fan and it goes way beyond the Ws

And Wisky got Gary fuc.king Anderson.

I think there is more than one right coach, if winning games is the only important thing. Now Jerry Kill, there's a person I'd want with me if things got tough. Win or lose, he looks to be one of the few people I've seen in my lifetime who wouldn't turn and run. In the end you'll always come out ahead with a person like that, even if you endure some trials along the way.

Recruiting is still the only question mark I have (and have always had since he's been here). Kill is extremely confident in his staff's ability to coach kids up, but that will only take you so far. I don't think we're where we need to be athletically if we are going to take the next step.

Other than that, I'm fine with Kill. I don't agree with everything he does/says and I'm sure that keeps him up at night. :rolleyes: He knows what he's doing.

We'll never know if Coach Kill is the "right guy". But, I wouldn't trade him for Urban Meyer. Coach Kill seems to do things the right way and I'm thrilled he's our coach. He's a wonderful representative of the University and he's already shown us a lot of positives. He can't force kids to attend the "U", but he probably has as good a chance to land a recruit for us as anyone else could coaching Minnesota. And, if he's not quite the recruiter that some other guys might be, he and his staff seem able to coach kids as well or better than most.

Holy Cow the Gophers lose their first conference game and the sky is falling.

The fact that this thread exists is asinine. For those hopping off the bandwagon after one loss.... bye. It was fun having you. I'm sure we will see you again if we beat Iowa saying "I have been a diehard the whole time."

The fact that this thread exists is asinine. For those hopping off the bandwagon after one loss.... bye. It was fun having you. I'm sure we will see you again if we beat Iowa saying "I have been a diehard the whole time."

+73

You can be a diehard fan and still question the head coach you know.

Maybe Spudfly can magically make this thread disappear. :cool:

Yes I know. Of course his history of winning everywhere and where this program is compared to where it was under Brew really needs to be examined. Barry Alvarez, Hayden Fry, and Bo never had a bad B1G loss did they? Guess I need to examine every game and rethink "successful".

And you can be a diehard fan and still believe in the coaches and team after a single bad loss too, right? Isn't it possible the team will improve off of this terrible performance and that it doesn't mean all players should be benched and all coaches fired?

We seem to have some major flaws in coaching. Yes, just one lost in the B1G is not the end of the world, but there is a pattern. How can the weakest defense against the run not have obvious holes that we can attack when they are selling out against the run? How can several non-conference weaklings also totally stop our running game when it is our "strength", and we can't figure out how to beat them? How can the defensive scheme to start the game be so wrong so for many games. Granted, we have been able to make adjustments that allow us to win, but it just seems that the opposing coaches all know how to shut us down and all know how to "trick" our defense! Yes, we have had a few conference games that haven't been such a problem, but that is in the games where the opponent doesn't feel the need to stack the defenses.

It is almost like our games plans are so obvious to our opponents that they know how to counteract them on both sides of the ball. This is not UNI where you kinda sneak up on people and people don't give you the respect to fully adjust their schemes to attack your game plans. This is the B1G where they fully scout all of your tendencies and design their schemes to stop you. You can't just line up and do what you do unless you are bigger, badder, stronger, etc... then everyone else. We are not, we need a little trickery to get the advantage.

We seem to have some major flaws in coaching. Yes, just one lost in the B1G is not the end of the world, but there is a pattern. How can the weakest defense against the run not have obvious holes that we can attack when they are selling out against the run? How can several non-conference weaklings also totally stop our running game when it is our "strength", and we can't figure out how to beat them? How can the defensive scheme to start the game be so wrong so for many games. Granted, we have been able to make adjustments that allow us to win, but it just seems that the opposing coaches all know how to shut us down and all know how to "trick" our defense! Yes, we have had a few conference games that haven't been such a problem, but that is in the games where the opponent doesn't feel the need to stack the defenses.

It is almost like our games plans are so obvious to our opponents that they know how to counteract them on both sides of the ball. This is not UNI where you kinda sneak up on people and people don't give you the respect to fully adjust their schemes to attack your game plans. This is the B1G where they fully scout all of your tendencies and design their schemes to stop you. You can't just line up and do what you do unless you are bigger, badder, stronger, etc... then everyone else. We are not, we need a little trickery to get the advantage.

Good offensive coaching includes breaking your own tendencies. When we do that, we have an offense we can win with. When we don't, we're pathetic.

Our game plan is completely obvious. That is why we struggle against teams in the big 10, because our offensive scheme is simply - hand off to cobb and if it is 3rd down and more than 6 yards for a first, we will likely throw a 10 yard out route to a well defended receiver. My problem is not with Kill, I like the man. My problem is with Limegrover. I do not think he has the creativity to adjust the game plan week to week to confuse opposing defenses. This is why I am very pessimistic going into our last four games.

Agree. I don't understand the novices on GH that even question any of the Staff. If all fans do is question after a loss, they should pay dues to the National Coaches Association.

Maybe then they would stfu.

Top Bottom