Jerry Kill college sports radio interview (updated)

JoeDirt

Reaction score
Sirius channel 91

I'll try my best DL summary.

For those who have never heard the "Morning Drive" with Greg McElroy and Taylor Zarzer (sp?) they do a great show.

Paraphrased.
Zarzer: When looking back over the last 5 years Why did you choose MN and are you surprised how far the program has come in such short time?
Kill talked about how when he first got here we were in big APR trouble academically and we are in excellent shape in that department now. He thought it would be a 5-7 year turnaround but he's been extremely impressed with the players, coaches, and overall support and was able to make a turnaround in year 3 like all the rest of his previous jobs. We're starting to do things here that haven't been done in 50 years.

McElroy: You had an excellent spring and even installed a no huddle aspect, how will that be factored in?
Kill mentioned that we're not going to change who we are, a power running team. But, the no-huddle will be used when needed and is a great way to utilize the new talent and speed. Needs to get more players involved and it's a new way to do that.

Zarzer: You lost some dynamic players from last years team. I know you have young talent there that the nation will soon find out about! Could you talk about some of those players.
Kill thought that they could be even better in the running game this year with Rodrick, Berkeley, and Rodney. Talked about all three in detail. Mentioned Berkeley's 10.5 speed and that we haven't had that here in awhile. A lot of playmakers at receiver but young, need to get mentally stronger/ready to understand they can and will compete this year.

McElroy: You have an excellent chance to show the country your program on Thursday night against TCU! You could be top 25, National night game, TCF will be rockin'! How will that game raise your programs profile?
Kill (laughing, almost giddy) said it doesn't get any bigger than that! Gary is a good friend and is really excited for the opportunity to compete against the best to kick off the season. Thought win or lose they will be a better team after, just hopes there won't be hard lessons learned like last year. Played really well last year except TCU, and parts of Illinois game. Kill mentioned that the program is at a point where we need to play games like this and win.

Zarzer: Asked about the CFP Championship game in Minneapolis.
Kill raved about the Twin Cities and Minnesota. He didn't even realize how much there was here to offer until he got here. He knows it's a great sports town and it will be a great College Football town. He then went on to talk about all the other big events coming to the new stadium and that the Twin Cities can put on a hell of a show.

McElroy asked his thoughts on Satellite football camps and if he considered it.
Kill said it's different for everybody, some schools did it and didn't get a single recruit out of it. Kill said Minnesota needs to take care of their home state first and foremost and then branch out. Would be surprised if the satellite camps were legal a year from now.

Zarzer: Everyone I've talked to from coaching colleagues, fans, broadcasters, and players raves about you! You've been able to beat cancer and deal with epilepsy. I understand you've been doing great, how do you feel?
Kill talked about how it's been a year and a half since his last seizure and feels great! All coaches go through something, it's a stressful job. My problems just happened to be on a public stage and it talked about more than the coach with a heart problem or whatever the case.

After the interview and Kill hung up McElroy and Zarzer spent a few minutes talking about how impressed they are with Coach Kill. Said Minnesota should and will be a major factor in the west from here on out. Minneapolis is a great city and area. And If they can get that stadium full and rocking it can be a very difficult place to play.

An aside: Both talked about how Norwood Teague is their favorite AD and talked about him a few different times. Not sure what the connection is there. They may have interviewed him earlier in the morning.

Tony Dungy will be interviewed tomorrow morning.

nice job, joedirt - thanks for posting. better job than I could have ever done...

Mods: I changed the title to better represent the updated post. But the Forum home doesn't show the change and I'm not sure how. Feel free to do it so people know the summary is added. Thanks

Thanks for the synopsis.

I know it is beating a dead horse, but the part about Coach Kill being seizure free for over a year and a half is still great to hear. I am very happy that he has been able to get things turned around on the health side and able to lead a healthier lifestyle.

Chili approaching Planck

You have an excellent chance to show the country your program on Thursday night against TCU!

Damn, I read that and got excited for a moment because it's Wednesday.

Is this podcastable anywhere? Would love to listen to it.

Top Bottom