Jerry Gibson Commits, per Ryan Burns

Sweet! I'm too lazy to look through the other threads.....Can someone explain his skill set?

18 catches and 7 TDS. Not a bad ratio.

On paper, meh. But I have to trust the coaches that another player with No BCS offers other than us is still worth taking...

I think this is one of those guys that is going to be approached by more and more schools as signing day nears.

Gibson can do a lot things well. I was especially impressed with his ability at DE.

Welcome aboard!

This seems like the kind of guy that Kill likes to redshirt and turn into a Big Ten DE.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>S/O to another new teammate of mine! <a href="https://twitter.com/TheNew_JG3">@TheNew_JG3</a> just committed to the Gophs.. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23InKillWeTrust&src=hash">#InKillWeTrust</a></p>— No Name (@Elmore2014) <a href="https://twitter.com/Elmore2014/statuses/406508079463661568">November 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

On paper, meh. But I have to trust the coaches that another player with No BCS offers other than us is still worth taking...

He does have an offer from a team that went to the Orange Bowl last year and has a chance at another BCS bowl this season...

Welcome! Runs hard, able to catch the ball and is very quick off the edge rushing the passer. Excellent!

I'm fine with getting these underdog recruits (besides Mayes), because I know kill can make them very productive players in our system but I really think we need to add "a big splash" in there in order to end up with a solid class I can feel good about. Ragnow and/or Jones would do it for me! I'm really excited in the direction of this program. I'd love to cap it off with a high profile recruit!

6-4, 220 yet runs a 4.51 forty per rivals

It doesn't stop there - 40 inch vertical! Seriously.

4.51 - 40 is electric timed, so that is good.

GPA: 4.0

Nice pick-up!!

One more thing - Galen Elmore is Captain material. This guy certainly rallys the troops.

On 247 it says his 40 time is 4.83 so hopefully that one isn't accurate.

A couple of posters at GI made some good points. 1) He timed a 4.8 at the ESPN Sparq testing w/ vertical in high 20's. 2) That's till plenty fast. 4.5 would be one of the fastest kids in the country.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/11/29/5157854/minnesota-football-recruiting-jerry-gibson-commits

Write up from theDailyGopher

...Color me intrigued.

As a prospect, Gibson looks to have very good feet and better than decent speed for a "big" athlete type prospect. His longer frame should allow him to add bulk rather easily and he appears to play with some toughness. At tight end, H-back or fullback, Gibson would compliment Maxx Williams with his playmaking ability and athleticism. He'll most certainly need to get a little stronger to in Coach Klein's S&C program to handle blocking B1G defensive ends one-on-one, though you could say that about every recruit playing on the line of scrimmage.

Gibson is yet another example of Kill and this staff knowing exactly what to look for when recruiting players for their offensive scheme. The Northern Illinois offer is a definitive tell about the type of prospect Gibson is and how programs that share the same DNA desire those specific attributes, regardless of position. Speaking to that, my assumption is Gibson is under-recruited relative to his skill set because he's a tweener playing the wrong position at a very small school. None of that matters, since Kill has made a career out of turning athletic tweeners into strong contributors along each stop of his coaching path...

6'4 / 240 / 4.8

is

awesome.

If he ran a 4.5, he would probably be the #1 recruit in the country.

The lack of a Western Michigan offer does send up a red flag.

My guess is that Gibson is our athletic TE in this class when Elmore is switched over to DE. But either way, someone is getting a position switch, as we obviously aren't taking three tight ends.

Welcome Jerry! We're glad to have you on board. Thanks for choosing MN!

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

I think Kill has earned the benefit of the doubt. If Jerry likes him, I do too. I remember a lot of hand wringing ("he's only a two star/look at his offer list) over Eric Murray. Enjoy the season and enjoy the fact that we have a staff that knows what it needs, knows what to look for, and knows what to do with them when they get them.

Top Bottom