Jeronne Maymon

Jimbob

Reaction score
Jeronne Maymon left Marguette today. Which brings up the question will Vander Blue want out of his LOI, considering Maymon is the main reason Blue chose Marquette. Should the Gophers be interested in Maymon, thinking Blue might follow?

Jeronne had been a freshman forward at Marquette until yesterday, when it was announced that he was leaving MU effective immediately. Maymon is Madison Memorial's all time leading scorer (ahead of Wesley Matthews) and rebounder (ahead of Keaton Nankivil). Jeronne was a great HS player, but is a bit of a tweener at the high major level, not quite tall enough to play PF and not enough perimeter skills (at this point, at least) to play SF. He also had academic struggles at Memorial such that he had to put forth quite an effort at the end to qualify. On top of that, his father is rather out-spoken and creates quite a stir at most games. On Saturday, he was behind the MU bench yelling at the UW student section, apparently giving them the bird at one point. UW never recruited him seriously, nor did MU while Crean was there.

I would highly doubt that Tubby will look at Maymon. If you think what you're going through with White and Mbakwe is embarrassing or distracting, keep an eye on MU over the coming days and weeks. Vander has signed a LOI with MU, and while he could probably get out of it if he really wanted to, he would likely have to sit out next year. I assume he will stay with MU. I am sure there would be a place for him at UW though if he so desired. :)

Blue is still committed to MU.

One of the biggest reasons UW did not offer J.Maymom can found right at his home.
MU will miss JM but not his dad.

Minnesota wasn't in his final five, but I think they were in on J-May for quite awhile.. Maymon would be a great addition to the Gophers. He's only 6'6" but 250 and built like an absolute tank. Big East and Big Ten ready body right now.

Vander's mom said last night that her son is still committed to Marquette and that he's going to go to be a Warrior , 'End of Story'. (well, she said Golden Eagle, but..)

There are various theories floating around - my guess at this point is that Jeronne's dad was in his ear and in the face of Buzz Williams, Marquette's coach, about J-May having to essentially play the 5. Mr. Maymon has dreams of the NBA for his son and playing the 5 at 6'6" doesn't 'help' that dream.

When you look at a Minnesota team.. you've got a great coach, it's relatively near Madison (as compared to say, U-Southern Cal, which was likely #2 behind Marquette), familiarity with the Gophers from the recruiting process, and certainly having to play the 5 doens't appear to be an issue (RSIII, Colton, EE, etc.).

J-May is capable of being a great college player, and will be greatly missed by Marquette (assuming the story doesn't change drastically in the next few days). I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota is strongly looking at the possibilities of the young man coming to the U and wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Anyway, as a Minnesota fan, being excited if J-May were to wind up at the U would make sense - but because he's a player himself. The Vander Blue angle is a bit far fetched - but again, J-May alone would provide plenty of reason to be excited, especially with Royce and Trevor potentially never playing for the Maroon and Gold.

I think all of the stuff with Royce and Mbakwe makes it all the more likely that we DON'T go after Maymon, not the other way around. I'm sure Tubby prides himself with being regarded as one of the classiest coaches in the country, so all of this stuff going on has to be all the more frustrating for him. Getting someone like Maymon would likely just cause more headaches. Unless I'm mistaken, the Gophers never even really wanted Maymon to begin with.

Holy Cow! Somebody wants to go after a guy who quit on his team in mid-season? There are some who have not forgiven a former Gopher & current NBA player because of the same offense.

UWOle

Jeronne had been a freshman forward at Marquette until yesterday, when it was announced that he was leaving MU effective immediately. Maymon is Madison Memorial's all time leading scorer (ahead of Wesley Matthews) and rebounder (ahead of Keaton Nankivil). Jeronne was a great HS player, but is a bit of a tweener at the high major level, not quite tall enough to play PF and not enough perimeter skills (at this point, at least) to play SF. He also had academic struggles at Memorial such that he had to put forth quite an effort at the end to qualify. On top of that, his father is rather out-spoken and creates quite a stir at most games. On Saturday, he was behind the MU bench yelling at the UW student section, apparently giving them the bird at one point. UW never recruited him seriously, nor did MU while Crean was there.

I would highly doubt that Tubby will look at Maymon. If you think what you're going through with White and Mbakwe is embarrassing or distracting, keep an eye on MU over the coming days and weeks. Vander has signed a LOI with MU, and while he could probably get out of it if he really wanted to, he would likely have to sit out next year. I assume he will stay with MU. I am sure there would be a place for him at UW though if he so desired. :)

Excellent background info. Thank You.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Think Kris Humphries minus 3 inches, offensive skill and a former drug dealing dad that makes 3 years olds at sporting events look civilized.

Actually the Trevor and Royce situation should make it MORE likely they go after this guy. We need the players.

Of course we weren't in his final five; we never offered.

True that the Gophers didn't offer, but not having an offer didn't preclude from the Maymons from putting a school (Kansas) in J-May's final five. Granted, reality vs. perception seems to be an issue for the Maymons.

I'm expecting to hear some unentertaining outbursts from Tim Maymon in the near future.. I'm sure it'll be classy.

Gophers have had their share of crappy things happening to the roster the past few months, but luckily are deep.. Marquette's been on a roll for a couple of years of one thing after another, be it players and/or recruits leaving or strange and/or serious injuries.... now down to .. 9 'healthy' scholarship players I believe. Ugh.

Recruit Jeronne with the hope Blue will follow, talk about long shot.

with only 13 scholarships, i don't think you give out any in order to entice another player, unlike how the recruiting game is played in football.

Minnesota wasn't in his final five, but I think they were in on J-May for quite awhile.. Maymon would be a great addition to the Gophers. He's only 6'6" but 250 and built like an absolute tank. Big East and Big Ten ready body right now.

Vander's mom said last night that her son is still committed to Marquette and that he's going to go to be a Warrior , 'End of Story'. (well, she said Golden Eagle, but..)

There are various theories floating around - my guess at this point is that Jeronne's dad was in his ear and in the face of Buzz Williams, Marquette's coach, about J-May having to essentially play the 5. Mr. Maymon has dreams of the NBA for his son and playing the 5 at 6'6" doesn't 'help' that dream.

When you look at a Minnesota team.. you've got a great coach, it's relatively near Madison (as compared to say, U-Southern Cal, which was likely #2 behind Marquette), familiarity with the Gophers from the recruiting process, and certainly having to play the 5 doens't appear to be an issue (RSIII, Colton, EE, etc.).

J-May is capable of being a great college player, and will be greatly missed by Marquette (assuming the story doesn't change drastically in the next few days). I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota is strongly looking at the possibilities of the young man coming to the U and wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Anyway, as a Minnesota fan, being excited if J-May were to wind up at the U would make sense - but because he's a player himself. The Vander Blue angle is a bit far fetched - but again, J-May alone would provide plenty of reason to be excited, especially with Royce and Trevor potentially never playing for the Maroon and Gold.

OK, let's not confuse people here. I have seen Maymon play a number of times in person and most recently on TV. I think it's a bit mis-leading to say he's 6-6 and "built like an absolute tank." He's very solid, but certainly nothing extraordinary. I agree that he could be a decent college basketball player if he finds the right system. Like you said, it's laughable to think Maymon would play the 5 at 6-6. He's undersized for a power forward, let alone center.
I would bet that the Wisconsin message boards and every other team that recruited him are lighting up with the possibility of Maymon coming to their respective team. Let's be honest, he has about a 10 percent chance of coming to the Gophers.

I would bet that the Wisconsin message boards and every other team that recruited him are lighting up with the possibility of Maymon coming to their respective team. Let's be honest, he has about a 10 percent chance of coming to the Gophers.

Wisconsin did not recruit Jeronne, nor did Marquette while Tom Crean was coaching there. As was shown this week, they were correct to not offer him a scholarship. Buzz Williams ignored the warning signs and got burned.

Jeronne has the potential to be a very solid college player, but unless some things change, he is probably not worth the hassle (IMO). I would guess that if Minnesota really wants him, they would have a pretty good shot of landing him.

Maymon

Maymon is basically another Trevor Mbakwe, both in terms of size/style of play and the serious risk factors that make you wonder if he will ever really contribute at a high major school. I think there is a roughly 0% chance that Tubby would be interested in doubling down with another Mbakwe right now.

Top Bottom