Jeff Wills

TuffGuy47

Reaction score
When my son committed to the U of Minnesota, he had offers from many other Division 1 schools. He choose this school not because of a lack of options but because he and his family saw a great opportunity here. My question to Jeff at the time was is it more important to say you played for Penn State or that you beat Penn State? Is it more important to build and create than to win for a program already sucessfully in place? Jeff did not ask to come here..like other D1 coaches who recruited him, they saw his potential. Now, while I cannot predict the future, I certainly can understand why many of you have posted such negative, almost "hated" threads about my son's production and play. I too, from New York City, have embraced GOPHER NATION and feel extremely frustrated as well if not more when he and others on the O-line screw up. Same when receivers drop passes and costly penalties and on and on! However, it is more heartbreaking to see your kid not performing well when so much is expected from him and you know he is more talented. I have advised him many times that to whom much is given, much is required!

To those who have posted more positive responses, I thank you for supporting him and our team during challenging times. To those of you who post all of the "fat" and "hated" negative responses, you certainly have that right to do so but they pretty much fall on deaf ears. I know what he is and what he is capable of doing and so does he! He's much stronger than you think if you believe that he's going to buy into all of the negative comments posted here and other places. Thank God, he stays focused!

I know he started slow and sometimes now finishes slow...I know that he needs to be two steps faster left to right, 30 lbs. lighter and 20 lbs. stronger! I have seen him get beat cleanly, jump early and make mental mistakes. I have also seen him open up big holes, many times not run through by RBs and pancake DEs. I also know that he is better than he was when we started in Syracuse and he is only going to get much better as he continues here. He is a great son and a dedicated GOPHER who, despite injury, has played EVERY snap this year! He wants to win here, something that obviously has not happened here in a long time through no fault of his. He wants your confidence and a Rose Bowl invitation like the rest of us. So, be patient. 2010 is already on the way and I can assure you that between Jeff and Matt, the right side of OUR offensive line will be an absolute terror next year...GUARANTEED!!!! :) - Mike Wills

Thanks for the wonderful post. I am glad he is part of Gopher Nation. Time to take down MSU! Go Gophers!

When my son committed to the U of Minnesota, he had offers from many other Division 1 schools. He choose this school not because of a lack of options but because he and his family saw a great opportunity here. My question to Jeff at the time was is it more important to say you played for Penn State or that you beat Penn State? Is it more important to build and create than to win for a program already sucessfully in place? Jeff did not ask to come here..like other D1 coaches who recruited him, they saw his potential. Now, while I cannot predict the future, I certainly can understand why many of you have posted such negative, almost "hated" threads about my son's production and play. I too, from New York City, have embraced GOPHER NATION and feel extremely frustrated as well if not more when he and others on the O-line screw up. Same when receivers drop passes and costly penalties and on and on! However, it is more heartbreaking to see your kid not performing well when so much is expected from him and you know he is more talented. I have advised him many times that to whom much is given, much is required!

To those who have posted more positive responses, I thank you for supporting him and our team during challenging times. To those of you who post all of the "fat" and "hated" negative responses, you certainly have that right to do so but they pretty much fall on deaf ears. I know what he is and what he is capable of doing and so does he! He's much stronger than you think if you believe that he's going to buy into all of the negative comments posted here and other places. Thank God, he stays focused!

I know he started slow and sometimes now finishes slow...I know that he needs to be two steps faster left to right, 30 lbs. lighter and 20 lbs. stronger! I have seen him get beat cleanly, jump early and make mental mistakes. I have also seen him open up big holes, many times not run through by RBs and pancake DEs. I also know that he is better than he was when we started in Syracuse and he is only going to get much better as he continues here. He is a great son and a dedicated GOPHER who, despite injury, has played EVERY snap this year! He wants to win here, something that obviously has not happened here in a long time through no fault of his. He wants your confidence and a Rose Bowl invitation like the rest of us. So, be patient. 2010 is already on the way and I can assure you that between Jeff and Matt, the right side of OUR offensive line will be an absolute terror next year...GUARANTEED!!!! :) - Mike Wills

Thanks for your post. Good perspective. All the best to Jeff for the remainder of this year, 2010 and beyond.

Thanks for your insight Mr. Wills. Your son is no different than most Gopher players who have collectively not reached their potential as individuals and as a team. Coach Brewster took on an extremely difficult task when he accepted the job. Getting the program to the point where it is competitive is a process. I hope the players stay focused, put together a quality performance against MSU and get to a bowl game.

Mr Wills,
i have talked to your son personally (for an article at Scout), and i can say that he was an extremely bright, intelligent, funny young man. i hope that you realize that there are many posters on this board who do not represent minnesota, the university of minnesota or humanity in general. message boards are riddled with people who feel it is ok to say things that they would never say to someone's face. i hope jeff realizes that most minnesotans are truly happy to have his services and truly root for him on saturdays.
nate

Don't Let This Response to a Loss Get to You...

There is so much trash thrown around here, Mike. Fans who post on message boards start looking for some people to vilify when their team has a bad loss. Of all the people who were at the game or who were watching on television, a very small handfull of people ripped into players on this board. Even those people, if they knew your son as a person, would not say these kinds of things. It's hard, but you just have to put those comments aside as emotional remarks from a reactionary few. They exist in every program.

Your son sounds like a fine young man, and I am gratified that he chose to come to Minnesota. This is a program in development with a lot of young talent ready to make a contribution. Jeff will be part of that. Keep the faith and I will be taking special interest in Jeff, rooting for him all the way. Go Gophers and Go Jeff.

Mr. Wills,

Thank you for posting. I think that some people on here fail to realize that some of the people that they bash on here may actually read it. I guess I feel that it would be one thing if these guys were pro athletes making money to play a game, but our guys are just kids trying to play a game and get an education.

You'd have to be blind to miss the fact that the O line has struggled this year. Unfortunately, that is where it all starts. Backs cant run thru a pile and QB's cant throw with defenders draped all over them. What you are probably missing, is that with our last coach, our O lines were very good. They were very one dimensional (run blocking all the time), but they were solid. Us fans have had a problem adjusting to watching a struggling and ineffective line.

I hope you, your family, and your son realize that those who post negative crap probably wouldnt say these things to your face. I dont agree with it, but it is somewhat the nature of the beast on an internet message board.

Who knows, perhaps these Uncle Rico's play with their star wars toys, wet the beds, and live in their mom's basement until they are 45? I guess this internet message board thing can work both ways, huh? Whoda thunk it?

Seriously, Mr. Wills, I hope you are correct and the line can get their stuff together. We all want to see the program succeed. Thank you for posting, and i do hope you will return.

What some people aren't recognizing is that it takes time to adjust to a new system, and the first year especially can mean some bumps along the way. He's certainly a step up from what we had, and hopefully will only get better. :)

I used to be an umpire for a number of years at pretty much all levels - and it is refreshing to hear that both son AND PARENT recognize that their son's performance has not been perfect so far. Most parents are so dillusional they cannot see reality.

It is great to hear the work that is being put in to make the program better. Most on this site will agree, and should pretty easily see if they pay any sort of attention, that Wills has improved greatly from his first game.

As for the "fat" comments - this is exactly the point I was trying to make in an earlier post I made today. It is OK to critisize the performance of a player - and you can see from Mr. Wills thoughts that even he would admit that he tells his son he needs to improve. But where it crosses the line are the personal attacks against players and the name calling. Or questioning work ethic when you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. That shoudn't be part of anyone's posts.

Great post

Mr. Willis,

I enjoyed reading your post. I agree that next year the O-line has potential to be very good. I'm worried more about our defense next year and not the offense. Our offense next year has potential to be very good.

Mr. Wills,

I am, personally, happy to see Jeff run onto the field every Saturday. He has definitely made major improvements and, besides getting beat badly that one play, did well against the NFL-Caliber O-Lines that Ohio and Penn State had to offer. I saw at least 4 pancakes.

Look what NFL-Bound DE Thaddeus Gibson had to say about the O-Line: “They always look worse than they are until you’re out there playing,” Gibson said. “The big dude, No. 71 (Jeff Wills) he was their best tackle. We all thought he was slow and couldn’t move, but we got out there and they were pretty good.”

People had unrealistic expectations about a first-year JUCO but he's doing well and it's scary to think how he'll perform next year. Tell him he has a fan!

Thrilled to have a young man whose family has this attitude. You represent your son very well.

Jeff needs experience and a full season of Division I weight training and conditioning.

Many of his mistakes are not individual ones, but the result of playing for a unit that is out of sorts. And you're right that our backs have often not done their part too. The guy carrying the mail has to beat somebody too--that's the deal.

Thanks for a thoughtful post and for your son's and family's dedication to the U!

And don't write off 2009 just yet...we've still got three home games to win and Iowa's perfect season to ruin!

Go Gophers!!

Welcome to the board, Mr Wills -- and please let your son know that we welcome him to the University of Minnesota.

Monikers permit folks to write things that I suspect they wouldn't if they were face-to-face or if they signed their real names. I appreciate your willingness to be identified and to support your son and this team.

Hope you're willing to continue to give us your perspective.

Regards,

Rick

Thanks for the post. I have watched Jeff a lot this year and I think his only problem is his weight. He seems to have quick feet for such a big guy. As I was watching the Ohio State game I was thinking that with a year of diet and weight training he will be a beast next year. A few pounds lighter and he will move a lot better to the outside. The fact that the coaches have played him every snap shows they think the same. If they didn't have faith in his future they would pull the red shirt off of a freshman. They can see he is getting better game by game and see a bright future for him next year. So... keep the faith and tell Jeff to do the same. Next year will be much better.

Nice post Mr. Wills, most of us are glad Jeff is here!

It sure seemed that the O-line did an ok job against OSU; the receivers and QBs just weren't hooking up on the passing routes or the game could have been very different.

Now, as to the rest of the Gopher fans, as Mr. Wills has exemplified, people in the program and their parents DO read these message boards!! There have been a couple of times here when a couple of Golden Gophers were personally villified on this board (i.e., Blake Hoffarber and Ryan Collado) and I did what I could to try to tell those posters that actions like those were entirely inappropriate; that these are still kids trying their hardest. I hope that has helped. (I know I did get the poster in the Hoffarber thread to admit his error.)

As for Jeff, I'm looking forward to even more improvement on the O-line - the Gophers really need them to be excellent if Gopher Nation is to go places.

Mr. Wills, you are a much better person than most posters on this board. Thank you for your insight, perspective and rational thoughts. I have supported Gopher football for many many years and will continue to do so in the future, players first as they always give 100% and deserve their fans support.

Having spent a fair share of time there, I'm confident in believing if the kid has NY roots, he's got thick skin and can take the heat. He's looked much better since Syracuse, where it appeared to be unfair to even put him in that position. The line as a whole has a long way to go.

Great post. :clap:

If you can't say something on an internet message board to someone's in a conversation then it probably shouldn't be said at all.

However, plenty of people close to the program do read them.

I was at the game a couple weeks ago and Alipate's mom happened to walk past me and recognized me from all of the games I have covered for Bloomington on TV. Now - when covering a game, especially for the city of Bloomington, I know I never said anything about her son that would elicit the reaction I got - but as she walked by she pointed a finger at me and said, "I know you are.....BOOOOOO!!!"

Because I hadn't ever been overtly negative for a broadcast that is funded by the bloomington school district, obviously she had been reading my posts on Gopherhole where admittedly I have said numerous times IMO I didn't think he could be the Gopher QB. Either that or she had secretly tape recorded conversations I've had with other local media who think he was also overrated. Probably a no on the second option - but I digress.

I can honestly say that while I've questioned his performance on the field, I've never said a bad word about him as a person. I don't know him as a person - so how could I comment. But I've also commented on this site as to the positives I've seen as well In fact, I feel like I have gone out of my way many times to point out his talent, leadership, intelligence, and team-first mentality.

I actually am not bothered or surprised by her actions. I know if someone was pointing out mistakes I made as an announcer or professionally, and my mom knew who they were she would probably do the same thing, if not worse. Most moms would. I don't blame her at all - so don't think this is some sort of post to get back at her or anything. I'm actually trying to make sure that people post as fair and objectively as possible. Unfortunately, this is part of big time college football - so it probably isn't going to change.

The point is that I know that I was simply pointing out what I saw objectively on the field of play and if for some reason she would ever get in my face I would certainly be taken off guard, but would also be able to explain exactly how I felt as well.

I actually think the O-line has improved this year as the season has gone on, at least in pass protection. Considering Syracuse was getting to the QB rather easily, it was nice to see them kinda hold their own against PSU and OSU at least a little bit. Run blocking I think still needs work, but I can at least see the development taking place there.

Quality stuff, haters will be haters when they can't be found behind a computer...I think your boy will turn out to be a quality player, it's just like every player, it takes a little adjusting to come from the JUCO ranks or high school ranks, it'll come though...

Mike,

As the father of another Gopher O-lineman I want to say that my son holds yours in the highest regard as a person and a player. Although what you read here sometimes makes you want to punch the screen, you have to understand that the people saying this don't have a clue. They do not understand how hard it is to get to this level (and the work once you are there) or realize only 1% of high school players ever live this dream.

One minute they are talking about a kids 4 star rating with Rivals, the next they are throwing them under the bus. In a recent post someone was already trashing Moses A. questioning his ability to lead the team!! He is a freshman- the play book is 5 inches thick-come on!!

The people that slash and burn these kids would never say it to your face or theirs, but a blog gives them the courage. Everyone needs to remember they are kids! They want to win as much as anyone else. They are proud to be Gophers.

Thank you to the above bloggers for your positive comments.

I hope the parents and players who read this board realize it is the same 10 or so people writing the same gutless comments. The majority of the fans love the players efforts and wish nothing the best. The anonymous format of a message board brings out the worst in these faceless pukes.

That post was a great reminder that we are analyzing the play of kids. Its almost as if we get so used to scrutinizing professional players that the line between professional and amateur gets blurred in our eyes. Save the name calling and personal attacks for the Nick Puntos and Tarvaris Jacksons of the world.

Mr. Wills I commend you for your well thought out post, such thought provoking posts have become increasingly hard to find here lately. Cant wait to watch your sons continued development in his remaining 18 games as a Gopher, yes I included two bowl trips in that calculation.

Mr. Wills - Thank so much for posting! It was not only a well thought out post, but a reality check for many of us. I guess it's different for me, because a number of people know my real name and cannot hide behind a moniker, but I've always posted with the assumption that any player or parent, relative or friend could be reading anything we say about the players. I think that's a good rule to follow - don't post anything on the board that you wouldn't say to their faces. Does that mean you can't criticize players? No - but personally, I've chosen to do that privately, to friends, in private discussions. There's also a way to constructively do it on the board, that isn't demeaning.

I feel like this message board has been more negative than usual, and really appreciate people like yourself, being honest, realistic, but also more positive about your outlook.

Nadine :)

Thank you for your insight Mr. Wills. You can tell Jeff he's going to have a lot of fans cheering for him on Halloween!

p.s. This is probably my favorite thread on GH.

That post was a great reminder that we are analyzing the play of kids. Its almost as if we get so used to scrutinizing professional players that the line between professional and amateur gets blurred in our eyes. Save the name calling and personal attacks for the Nick Puntos and Tarvaris Jacksons of the world.

Mr. Wills I commend you for your well thought out post, such thought provoking posts have become increasingly hard to find here lately. Cant wait to watch your sons continued development in his remaining 18 games as a Gopher, yes I included two bowl trips in that calculation.

It is a good point. Brewster and his self-promotion has made himself fair game for criticism and ridicule. But I think for the most part, even harshest cynics (Reusse and Barrerio) won't get a laugh at the expense of an amateur player or spew vile towards them. It stops at the identifying a player who's struggling or is too slow or over-matched.

Top Bottom