Jeff Horton’s Press Conference Notes – Gives good reason not to play Gray, too thin

Hageman and Carter are not on the depth chart, need to focus on academics, they will

Great. Two guys who could gain valuable game experience the rest of the year and the lame duck coach takes them out. Just tremendous.

I have a feeling Michael Carter will not be here next year.

Hageman and Carter are not on the depth chart

Suspended for the year?

Great. Two guys who could gain valuable game experience the rest of the year and the lame duck coach takes them out. Just tremendous.

These guys are supposed to be students first and athletes second.

I get that. I understand. Just frustrated with the way everything is going down...

Hageman and Carter ore not on the depth chart - they need to focus on academics. Great. Two guys who could gain valuable game experience the rest of the year and the lame duck coach takes them out. Just tremendous.

I viewed this as a positive.

I can imagine it went something like this... Hageman and Carter could continue to play and not devote enough time to their studies in which case they fail to make the grade and are forced to transfer to a Junior college or let them focus on academics the remainder of the year so that they will be here next year and can contibute when it matters.

But then again, I tend to look at the positive side more often than many of the "hey you kids get off of my lawn" curmudgeons that are on this board.

I hope they get their stuff together and can contribute next year.

Too thin? What about at QB? Jesus these coaches are stupid...

Gives good reason not to play Gray, too thin

Maybe they should have him on a carb heavy diet then.:cool:

If that's the case Apilate is pro ready.

Ok, Uncle. At this point I want to go 1-11 and have Weber take every snap all year long, just so we can say we did it. We did it! Yes! We have no one coming back that has any clue how to play QB in a game! Woo Hoo! I really think it will help with fan and team confidence as it would be devastating to play either back up at this point in the year, thanks for protecting us from complete destruction. They just don't practice as QB's and we are trying to win now, not for the future, and we are really thin, and we don't have any other guys to play WR. Come on people, these coaches know what is best for this program. We may be thin at all those other positions, but clearly the thinnest position of all on this team is QB, as no one can even think of getting in the game besides Weber.

"You can put a guy in, with Gray, he practices so much as the receiver. They were blitzing like crazy, and I didn’t want to throw Gray into that situation where he wasn’t ready and could get hurt . It’s easier said than done to tell him to get more snaps in the week."

Imagine Horton puts MG in at QB in the end of that fiasco, and he runs the two or three plays he's practiced this year. And along the way he gets sacked and sufferers an injury that will keep him out for all of the 2011 season. Now how do you like Horton?

Goldmember;294402 Imagine Horton puts MG in at QB in the end of that fiasco said:
If that is the mindset, then he should not be playing WR either.

"You can put a guy in, with Gray, he practices so much as the receiver. They were blitzing like crazy, and I didn’t want to throw Gray into that situation where he wasn’t ready and could get hurt . It’s easier said than done to tell him to get more snaps in the week."

Imagine Horton puts MG in at QB in the end of that fiasco, and he runs the two or three plays he's practiced this year. And along the way he gets sacked and sufferers an injury that will keep him out for all of the 2011 season. Now how do you like Horton?

You serious Clark?

The news about Hageman and Carter is depressing.

I think it at least shows that the coaches still do care. It doesn't sound like they are officially academically ineligible so it was the coaches decision to sit them.

We got the wrong former Lions coach. We should have hired that Lions coach who went through a drive through nude a few years back. That man knew how to let it all hang out.

Come to think of it why were we ever poaching the Lions for coaching talent?

He could get hurt just as easily at WR as he could at QB. If you were one of the few people paying attention at the end of OSU, most of the starters will still in, risking injury long, long after the game had been decided. I don't like Horton.

If Gray could play a series last year against OSU, when it was still a game at half, there's no reason he shouldn't have been able to play in a 40 point blowout that was 31-7 at half.

He could get hurt just as easily at WR as he could at QB. If you were one of the few people paying attention at the end of OSU, most of the starters will still in, risking injury long, long after the game had been decided. I don't like Horton.

+1

It is lot of fun how everyone who answered the question didn't actually answer the question. The fact is, everyone who wants Gray to go in and show you just how little he has been preparing to play QB would be enraged at the coaches if he were injured while doing so.

And, no, he isn't just as likely to get injured playing WR (a position he has been practicing to play against the OSU defense). But that wasn't the question anyway.

I've said a dozen times that I don't want anyone who could actually help this team next season playing late in a game that is meaningless. If you think that someone is less likely to be injured at a position because they spend the majority of their time preparing to play that position, I've got a nice plot of land to sell you. 99 percent of players are injured playing positions they spend all their time preparing to play.

Top Bottom