Jeff Goodman: 2020 College Basketball Transfer Portal: Biggest Winners & Losers (Biggest Winner #1. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Goodman:

BIGGEST WINNERS

1) Minnesota –
Richard Pitino and the Gophers added a couple of starters — as long as Liam Robbins (14.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg) and Both Gach wind up getting waivers from the NCAA to play this season (which should happen). The 7-foot Robbins, the nephew of Minnesota assistant Ed Conroy, is a major impact guy, as is Gach, who averaged 10.7 points last season for the Utah Utes. Gach should get the waiver because he transferred back closer to home.

Go Gophers!!

And a dark horse fourth in Mutaf? Hey, I have no idea but he is being forgotten in a lot of discussions. I don’t think we can just dismiss him. He could surprise! Mashburn is going to add value as well. And some think Mitchell will be a factor.
Throw in Curry, that’s 7 “new” guys.
That’s a pretty impressive group overall. Gach, Robbins and Johnson do seem like the front runners.

And a dark horse fourth in Mutaf? Hey, I have no idea but he is being forgotten in a lot of discussions. I don’t think we can just dismiss him. He could surprise! Mashburn is going to add value as well. And some think Mitchell will be a factor.
That’s a pretty impressive group overall. Gach, Robbins and Johnson do seem like the front runners.
I agree. I don't think he is going to give a lot of minutes, but I think he is going to come in and make some big shots at important times.

I don’t think Mutaf is qualifies as a “transfer portal” acquisition.

The article is specifically about transfers and not total new players. Plenty of talk about those players in other threads. Nothing new though recently after they actually signed to talk about right now. Hopefully all players able to report to campus soon!

As a side note, there are over 300 applications for waivers, that is 5 times the normal.

The article is specifically about transfers and not total new players. Plenty of talk about those players in other threads. Nothing new though recently after they actually signed to talk about right now. Hopefully all players able to report to campus soon!
What was I thinking? Talking overall newcomers on a basketball team board. So sorry some of you fellas got butt hurt because I color outside the lines.

YAY! Goodman said we are number 1 in the transfer portal newcomers! Yay!
There. Fixed it. Happy now?

What was I thinking? Talking overall newcomers on a basketball team board. So sorry some of you fellas got butt hurt because I color outside the lines.

YAY! Goodman said we are number 1 in the transfer portal newcomers! Yay!
There. Fixed it. Happy now?
Sorry, you had mentioned mutaf as a darkhorse 4th. 4th what? He's not a transfer that's all I was saying. The Mutaf threads got plenty of action. Wasn't saying you couldn't talk about them, just referencing the context of this thread is all. Wasn't trying to make it a personal shot.

Sorry, you had mentioned mutaf as a darkhorse 4th. 4th what? He's not a transfer that's all I was saying. The Mutaf threads got plenty of action. Wasn't saying you couldn't talk about them, just referencing the context of this thread is all. Wasn't trying to make it a personal shot.
In the post above my original comment Gophereric mentioned we likely got 3 starters from the portal.
I was wildly speculating that Mutaf could surprise everyone and be a fourth new addition starter. At this point we do still need two waivers and Carr to return to school for three projected starters. And if that happens I'll be happy! But to me, how good Mutaf is...is difficult to assess. I definitely get the feeling he thinks he's gonna play. Doesn't mean he will, but at least gives him a chance.

GopherBlood I didn't take it personal but it did give me an excuse to rant and bluster. If we were face to face it'd be in a teasing, smiling, poking the dog manner. No offense taken.
Lol, not talking to too many people in person lately.

In the post above my original comment Gophereric mentioned we likely got 3 starters from the portal.
I was wildly speculating that Mutaf could surprise everyone and be a fourth new addition starter. At this point we do still need two waivers and Carr to return to school for three projected starters. And if that happens I'll be happy! But to me, how good Mutaf is...is difficult to assess. I definitely get the feeling he thinks he's gonna play. Doesn't mean he will, but at least gives him a chance.

GopherBlood I didn't take it personal but it did give me an excuse to rant and bluster. If we were face to face it'd be in a teasing, smiling, poking the dog manner. No offense taken.
Lol, not talking to too many people in person lately.
Mutaf will not start, only chance he has is if Carr doesn't return, then it will probably be between him and mashburn to run point. I think Mutaf can provide moments, but is very unreliable on defense from what i read in the scouting report. Hopefully he is not an IW 2.0 in that regard because he clearly has some offensive ability with good ball handling skills.

Mutaf will not start, only chance he has is if Carr doesn't return, then it will probably be between him and mashburn to run point. I think Mutaf can provide moments, but is very unreliable on defense from what i read in the scouting report. Hopefully he is not an IW 2.0 in that regard because he clearly has some offensive ability with good ball handling skills.
I agree mutaf will not start. Although he is a wild card because we dont usually have alot of info on international players except for highlight videos, which should not be used as expectations. Usually international players need a little time to adjust see Moritz wagner.

My hope for Mutaf in year one is that he can provide the same contribution that Brock Still provided two years ago and hit 1 or 2 timely 3's a game. Still didn't do a lot but he was big hitting multiple timely 3's in our first road win at Madison in a long time. I hope Mutaf can be that guy in year one.

.....you okay?
Well, I was but my girlfriend asked me why I was crying. I said, I’m just so happy that Keyser cares about me. She said whattya mean? I said here. She read your post and she said, You’re dumb but not that dumb. Keyser is making fun of your post and doesn’t care about you at all...he’s just being a dink looking for a laugh.
I said, but he wouldn’t do that to me. We’re teammates. She said nope...he’s just a... Sorry Keyser as she was walking away throwing stuff and I couldn’t really hear what she said. It sounded like...but she doesn't usually say words like that.

As a side note, there are over 300 applications for waivers, that is 5 times the normal.

Do you think that could be because of COVID-19? I know there's been speculation that waivers might be granted for one reason or another due to the virus.

Well, I was but my girlfriend asked me why I was crying. I said, I’m just so happy that Keyser cares about me. She said whattya mean? I said here. She read your post and she said, You’re dumb but not that dumb. Keyser is making fun of your post and doesn’t care about you at all...he’s just being a dink looking for a laugh.
I said, but he wouldn’t do that to me. We’re teammates. She said nope...he’s just a... Sorry Keyser as she was walking away throwing stuff and I couldn’t really hear what she said. It sounded like...but she doesn't usually say words like that.

Funny guy. Have to admit my wife may have omitted the "but not that dumb" part if referencing me so you are at least ahead of me :).

Do you think that could be because of COVID-19? I know there's been speculation that waivers might be granted for one reason or another due to the virus.
Sure it played a role but so many thought that this year was a free for all on waivers.

.....you okay?

Wow... Has to be due to covid. Curious if the decisions will also be different than usual. I'd expect Gach to get a waiver but not Robbins normally.

Been a fan way too long and been kicked in the balls too often starting with Lou Hudson breaking his wrist. There might eventually be another per Goodman for Bleed to post: 2020 College Basketball Transfer Portal: Most Disappointed Fans
(Leave it to you to guess who will be number one.)

Wow... Has to be due to covid. Curious if the decisions will also be different than usual. I'd expect Gach to get a waiver but not Robbins normally.
I'm sure that is some of it, but there is more to it than that. This is the wave of the future as both players and coaches make decisions about moving on much more quickly. The days of Isaiah Dahlman sitting four years at MSU are gone. If they are not contributing or have a clear future at the end of two years in the program, most will leave by their own doing or coaches wanting an immediate contributor.

Would be great to have the NCAA be clear that a waiver was granted because of the extraordinary circumstances of the pandemic when that is the reason, but that would be way too transparent for them. It will come with a "yes" or "no" and then move on, with little data on whether this is a change in approach to waivers or a one year exception.

I'm sure that is some of it, but there is more to it than that. This is the wave of the future as both players and coaches make decisions about moving on much more quickly. The days of Isaiah Dahlman sitting four years at MSU are gone. If they are not contributing or have a clear future at the end of two years in the program, most will leave by their own doing or coaches wanting an immediate contributor.

Would be great to have the NCAA be clear that a waiver was granted because of the extraordinary circumstances of the pandemic when that is the reason, but that would be way too transparent for them. It will come with a "yes" or "no" and then move on, with little data on whether this is a change in approach to waivers or a one year exception.
There is no doubt that there will be very few like Dahlman that would stay 4 years. That places even more importance on recruiting as the best coaches catch kids on the 2nd time around and use them to fill a spot or two. People act like there are hundreds of really good transfers and that is not true. Very few transfer up from a mid major to a power 6 school and have a huge impact. So many that average 16 points per game come in and average double figures. Rothstein said it was less than 5 ! Plus they have to guard someone better nearly all the time. More will not always mean better. I am all for kids moving on and we will see a hard rule that flat out allows it without a waiver. It will be written that if a coach leaves for any reason a player can leave. It will not be wide open and it protects us otherwise the best programs would simply take the best player. Transfers can and do work but they do not win championships as a group.

Top Bottom