Jeff Dubay

positively4thstreet

Reaction score
Just said Glen Mason is the "perfect man for the job" as our next head coach, followed with the suggestion of Greg Schiano if he's fired from Tampa Bay. Mind you, he preceded this with championing himself as the biggest Gopher fan on the planet.

His job is to stir conversation.
Those are two names people recognize and have feelings about.
Neither ever one their conference or finished in the Top 10.
Schiano finished in the top 25 one time and is generally known to be a total richard.

How can you be sure what he said. The dude talks so fast that half of the time, I can't figure out what he's trying to say/stutter.

Just said Glen Mason is the "perfect man for the job" as our next head coach, followed with the suggestion of Greg Schiano if he's fired from Tampa Bay. Mind you, he preceded this with championing himself as the biggest Gopher fan on the planet.

Can't believe that people actually listen-in to these tools.

If/when this conversation happens in 2-14 months, Garry Patterson will be the first person called.

I say that based on inside information. "Inside" defined as "things I contemplate in my head".

If/when this conversation happens in 2-14 months, Garry Patterson will be the first person called.

I say that based on inside information. "Inside" defined as "things I contemplate in my head".

Then they'll move on to #2. Patterson reportedly turned down $2 million from us before Brewster was hired. Since then, TCU has played in the Rose Bowl and moved into the Big 12.

Jeff Dubay was clearly just trying to get the conversation going. If you put a gun to his head, he'd likely admit it was all just to rile people up and get listeners and calls. If he really did believe it, then I'll grant him this. Despite the manner in which the program plateaued and the heartbreaking come from ahead losses, Glen Mason was the most successful coach this program has had since Murray Warmath (and Mason's winning percentage was higher which surprised me to learn moments ago). To people too young to remember the Warmath era, the relative prosperity of the Mason era is the good old days. There is both a longing to return to that and a fear we never will given the largely barren periods post 1967 and since. In absence of ideas over what to do next people reach back which is why there were Vikings fans calling for Bud Grant to return when they soured on Denny, why some Gators fans long for Spurrier, and why some Yankees fans want Torre back.

By the way, I think we were right to get rid of Mason and the real issue was getting the absolute worst possible outcome with his successor. As for now, the guy hasn't coached since 2006. That's way too long to be out and effectively come back at a reclamation project like this one.

In absence of ideas over what to do next people reach back which is why there were Vikings fans calling for Bud Grant to return when they soured on Denny, why some Gators fans long for Spurrier, and why some Yankees fans want Torre back.

The difference is that all of those coaches were highly successful. Mason was merely the least bad Gopher coach in recent history.

The difference is that all of those coaches were highly successful. Mason was merely the least bad Gopher coach in recent history.
Ultimately it all falls in the lap of Maturi. Far worse than Brewster, Tubby, And Monson was Joel Maturi. I think we all long to go back to 2007 and change the hire.

I joked about this in a different thread, but Dubay used to rag on Mason quite a bit when he was teamed with Paul Allen way back when. Another convert!

My imagined scenario requires Patterson to have had two down seasons in a row.

I'm spitballing.

Then they'll move on to #2. Patterson reportedly turned down $2 million from us before Brewster was hired. Since then, TCU has played in the Rose Bowl and moved into the Big 12.

I thought I heard something like Patterson turned the job down, then changed his mind and called back a few days later, but Brewster had already accepted.

The way Jeff Dubay and Judd Zulgad kiss Soupcan's a$$ every day at noon, I have no doubt that this is just a continuation of Soupcan's column last week to bring back Mason. The fact that Dubay is bringing this up as his own idea is borderline plagiarism.

If you have to tell me how big of a fan you are, you're probably aren't one.

If you have to tell me how big of a fan you are, you're probably aren't one.

His intellectual/journalistic shortcomings aside, Dubay is a long-time Gopher cheerleader, and was pretty much the only person on KFAN who would talk about the Gophers at all before they got the football broadcast rights.

Coach Kill is my coach...can't believe the energy some people spend spectulating something that isn't going to happen.

Dubay is a Gopher fan, I'll give him that. He doesn't just pretend to play one on the radio.

However, the move doesn't make sense to me. I don't hate the idea of Schiano as much as most people probably do but I think the Mason thing has run its course. It reminds me of the Flip stuff, MN sports talk just being incestuous with the ole coaches because they are nice to us.

I doubt Glen's shortcomings could improve with age.

PS: I ran into Glen Mason's kid (Pat) a few weekends ago, he told me he was a really big Badger fan (he was checking to find the Badger-OSU score on his phone). I thought it was weird, I was drunk and annoyed. He told me that he was always kind of a Badger fan, it wasn't just cause his dad got canned. It bugged the hell out of me. I know, I know . . .I can't prove it. I'm just throwing in a relatively interesting little Gopher football nugget, you can believe it or not, doesn't matter.

Dubay might be the only person in the Twin Cities sports media that really, truly CARES about the Gophers.

Dubay has said he likes Kill, but will not jump on board until winning 3 or more B1G games is the norm again, basically . Claims he sees no improvement in the team.

He hangs onto the one 10 win season Mason had.

However, he feels sorry that Kill gas to clean up Maturi and Brewster 's mess.

I listed to the show briefly today on my way back home from visiting family. I know they are just doing it to created controversy, but I am amazed how they take a few comments from his twitter page from Gopher fans and bunches everyone in that group. He posted something Saturday about how much more Indiana has improved in year 3 over the Gophers. A few disagreed with him, one even said well will beat Indiana by 10 easily. Of course most fans think we will struggle with Indiana yet he went off like all Gopher fans believed it was an easy win. He has over 11,000 followers on his twitter page and 3 or 4 disagree, so that means everyone does? Could it be possible that there were a lot of Gopher fans who agreed with him, therefore didn't feel they had to respond?

Souhan then went on to say that the Gophers are pretty much the only fan base in America to not relive past embarrassing moments, essentially saying we don't remember our "ineptness" of the past. We all know that is entirely false as we relive Michigan 03, Wisconsin 05, Texas Tech, Iowa 55-0 and others all the time. Of course, the examples he gave of fan bases who always relive bad moments were pro teams: Vikings and Bills. Couldn't name any college fan bases because he knows nothing about college football.

The last thing I heard before I turned it off was essentially those Gopher fans who disagreed with his article and think Kill should make the decision about his health and coaching are the ones being selfish. It still blows my mind how these guys don't get it. Asking the question about Kill's health was not the problem. Making assumptions was. Taking shots at the guy was. Most people believe it should be the decisions of Kill, his wife and family, doctors, and staff. That is not being selfish.

I know it's all about controversy but man are they really fishing for it.

I'm not really sure why my 'Dubay is a crack addict' post was deleted. Dubay is in fact addicted to crack. This a a thread about Dubay.

Dubay has said he likes Kill, but will not jump on board until winning 3 or more B1G games is the norm again, basically . Claims he sees no improvement in the team.

He hangs onto the one 10 win season Mason had.

However, he feels sorry that Kill gas to clean up Maturi and Brewster 's mess.
I could be wrong but didn't Mason win 10 games twice?
Not that it really matters...

I ran into Glen Mason's kid (Pat) I was drunk and annoyed. He told me that he was always kind of a Badger fan . . .I can't prove it. you can believe it or not, doesn't matter.

Really nice...but what is your point Bob_Loblaw?

I could be wrong but didn't Mason win 10 games twice?
Not that it really matters...

Yes you are, and no, he didn't. He didn't even win 9 games twice.
Not that it really matters ;-)

It's pretty clear to me that 1500 and Souhan are absolutely grasping for ratings/clicks with this kind of schtick. This is a controversial, albeit stupid, topic has us railing on about Mason for absolutely no good reason.
Mason isn't coming back to the U. Despite where he put this program during his tenure (competent mediocrity), he doesn't deserve a second chance. He had 10 seasons to show us what he could deliver. That was a large enough sample size for me.

I for one would rather cycle thru a hundred more Brewsters trying to find that one guy who can take us to Pasadena, than sit on 3-5 seasons and a throw-away bowl appearance. It reeks of a willingness to settle for a 2nd tier place at the table. And frankly, it's even too soon to know if Kill isn't that guy.

you gotta be kidding me

Okay, yes, Glen Mason did win 10 twice overall. He won 10 at Kansas.

Glen was under 500 overall at Kansas. He was 16 under 500 in conference play.
At Minnesota Mason was 16 under 500 in conference play. He introduced me
to schools I had never heard of or didn't realize they had football programs in the non conference schedule. He finished a smidge over 500 overall at Minnesota.

Jerry Kill was 9 and 2 twice and 36-14 in conference at Saginaw Valley.
He was won 10 twice at So. Il...he won 12 once and was 9 and 4 twice.
55-32 overall and 30-18 in conference.

At No Il he won 10 once in his third and final year. He was 18-6 in conference.

At Minnesota both coaches started nearly identical in their first two years.
Glen went 8-4 in season three but followed that up with 6 and 6 and 4 and 7 the
fourth and fifth seasons.

The Gophers need a miracle to go 8 and 4 this season. 7 and 6 is possible.
But I am confident they will absolutely be better than 10 and 13 the next two years.
(the 4th and 5th years) The Gophers are definitely better this year than last year.
They played better at Michigan than they did vs Iowa.

The starting line is not the same. Kill's task was/is more difficult. The conference
schedule is not the same. The present conference schedule is brutal. We are getting better. We are at a high point on the graph.... most people just can't see it.
We will be good next year but we play a brutal schedule.

What do we have? One senior starter on an offense that would almost be impossible not to improve? Defense we lose a couple very solid players but we have a huge group returning. We need the third recruiting class.

Top Bottom