Jedd Fisch

chubbygopher

Reaction score
I was shocked to discover that Al Golden chose Jedd Fisch to be his OC at the University of Miami. I was not overly impressed with his time with the Gophers.

MN was his first gig at OC...maybe he learned something and adjusted his approach? Also maybe Golden felt Brewster was more the problem then Fisch!

Fisch was only herre one year but when he left I would have to say that I was very unimpressed. His play calling was a disaster, very telegraphed and his offense was to complex and included to much gadgetrey for college athletes. That said his one year here was the year we switched from a spread to a pro style offense, difficult for anyone to pull off in year one. I wish him well.

People inflate how bad he was. He wasn't as bad as Minnesota fans would like to think. That being said, didn't we already have this thread like 5 months ago?

And in other news from 8 months ago....

And in other news from 8 months ago....

Isn't it about time someone starts a "One year ago, we were saying..." thread? Seems appropriate to talk about above average heat and humidity.

I wonder if he hadn't of had some continuity if things wouldn't have improved over time. The first half of the OSU game was as well called and played a game as I have seen from the Gophers in I can't remember how long. There was equally bad games and things deteriorated as the season progressed but a talented offense might prosper under Fisch.

I was shocked to discover that Al Golden chose Jedd Fisch to be his OC at the University of Miami. I was not overly impressed with his time with the Gophers.

Please refrain from mentioning those two words (jedd & fish) ever again. Just be glad he's someone else's problem.

MN was his first gig at OC...maybe he learned something and adjusted his approach? Also maybe Golden felt Brewster was more the problem then Fisch!

Can't imagine what it must have been like in 2009...when the Gopher offense was on the field...and Adam Weber & Co. would look to the sideline for some leadership...and for the next play to be called...and all they would see was ole' Jedd standing there...under his over-sized baseball cap and large headset...with arms folded...and looking absolutely petrified (and clueless)...

Gopher offense never had a chance, but at least Jedd could puff up his resume after that season ended

People inflate how bad he was. He wasn't as bad as Minnesota fans would like to think. That being said, didn't we already have this thread like 5 months ago?
Exactly right, he had a nitwit boss telling him to install a power running game with no o-line or powerbacks. He started out doing that, but quickly found out what we had the horses to do was throw the ball. We sure as heck did not get better the following year when we had an OC who actually tried to do what he was told and run the ball w/o the horses to do it. that offense only got better when Brewster left and Hammock opened it up as OC.
I think Fisch did some dumb things with Weber, but the play calling got better. He called a great game against MSU, and Dantonio puts slid D's on the field.

Is anyone that was associated with the Gophers the last few years actually responsible for their own performance or was it all a result of the environment (I.E. Brewster, bad players)?

I'm not saying he's going to be a bad coach but he did a poor job while at the University of Minnesota.

Not as bad as Minnesota fans would like to think?

Total-306.5 11th in B10 in total offense (29.8 yds/gm fewer than 10th)

Rushing-99.46 yds/gm 11th in B10 in rushing offense (14.77 yds/game fewer than 10th)

8th in B10 in passing offense

Scoring Offense-20.9 pts/game 11th in B10 in scoring offense (2.3 pts/game fewer than 10th)

I guess you can use being 8th in the B10 in passing as your saving grace. Since most MN probably thought his offense was 1tth across the board.

His job as the OC was to put competitive offenses on the field each week and that didn't happen.

The facts show that he did a poor job at Minnesota but that doesn't provide any indication as to how he will do at Miami.

I'm not saying he is a good coach.

To call his play calling always terrible is flat out wrong. He out-coached Michigan state. If Brewster kicks FGs instead of going on 4th and goal against Iowa they don't lose 12-0 they lose 12-9 and maybe have a chance at the end. People rip his goal line play calling a ton. He tried everything. They ran inside, got stuffed. Ran outside, got stuffed. Passed, incomplete.

I'm not saying he was good. Early in the season his inexperience showed, he was late getting plays in often. He got better as the season went on. It didn't help that a bad o Line caused weber to lose his poise by about the 5th game. Remember how happy webers feet got that season?

I am not saying he was good. I am saying he probably took the 10th or 11th most talented offensive roster in the conference and finished with the 11th best statistics. I'm not saying he was good, but by the end of the year, to the trained eye, he had the offensive line playing much better. He had play calling down pretty well by the end. His biggest downfall was the fact that by the time he had the rest of the team playing well weber had already been shaken beyond repair for that season. Beginning of the year weber was solid and the offense was terrible, end of the year the offense was okay but weber was playing scared due to getting rocked the first 5 weeks.

I'm not saying he was good. I am saying if you know a lot about football you may have noticed some improvement in the team and the playcalling as the year went by. I am guessing al golden noticed it too because he saw fit to hire him.

I don't know that he is a terrible coach, but certainly he didn't prove much positive here. His inexperience didn't help. He may have learned a big enough lesson in that one year to have made a fundamental change in his procedures. It was an overly complex offense, but once it's installed and seniors have seen 4-5 years of that type of offense and can help the underclassmen, maybe it's ok? Miami has run a fairly complex offense for years, so if he builds on what they've run he could be fine. He just tried to do too much with too little here and wasn't given time to find out if he could make it work. But you also have to know your situation and adjust accordingly, which it seemed like he didn't do while he was here.

So I'll say he wasn't a good coach while he was here, only time will tell if he is or can be a good coach.

Also, a former player said that Brewster micromanaged the assistant coaches pretty significantly, so Fisch may not have had as much control as we all think he did...

While I was excited for what Fisch could have brought to our team, I really disliked him after I read an ESPN piece on him where he basically said his goal was to use Minnesota to get a head coaching gig in the NFL. he was not here for the long haul or to bring us back from obscurity, he was here to gain experience and a paycheck.. At least until another bigger profile program/team came knocking.

I really disliked him after I read an ESPN piece on him where he basically said his goal was to use Minnesota to get a head coaching gig in the NFL. he was not here for the long haul or to bring us back from obscurity, he was here to gain experience and a paycheck.. At least until another bigger profile program/team came knocking.

What did you expect? This is a guy who is in the early stages of a coaching career with no ties to the Big Ten, much less the University of Minnesota.

That's my take to an extent. It was his first time out of the gate and I always thought Brewster's biggest problem was his lack of patience and that Fisch probably felt that he was under a ton of pressure to get things right. Not a good place for a first-time offensive coordinator.

Fisch tried to work with Weber's mechanics and Weber needed work on his mechanics. I thought Fisch's calls were a bit off at times, but he got better as the season wore on.

Top Bottom