Jedd Fisch Experience

wait!what?

Reaction score
What is the Post Mortem lesson from having Jedd Fisch here for a year.

I suppose that is what some posters complained about mid 09 season re: lack of identity.

No lesson to be learned here.

In 10 years, we'll all have forgotten about Jedd's brief stay here.

We can only hope the step backwards taken under Fisch will become two steps forward with Horton, leaving the offense better off than it was. At this point though, I'd settle for one step forward with Horton, simply getting us back to being a middle of the conference offense.

(If the offense was 6th in the Big 10 across the board in 2009, the team probably wins two more games)

Those who excel on one level may not excel on another.

He looked funny wearing his headset on the sidelines. Seriously, the thing looked like it was 5 times too big for his head.

w/ Withers = the average college kid can't handle an NFL style playbook. Keep it simple.

Those who excel on one level may not excel on another.

Exactly - I don't think it's any secret that Fisch didn't do what most of us would have hoped he would have done here. However, I think he will excel in the NFL. He's is very young, and has accomplished a lot at his age, you don't typically do that unless you are good at your job. The Gophers seem to not be the best fit for him, but I hope he does well in Seattle and wish the best of luck to him.

I tend to agree. But I think it really hurt Brewster in the short term. It essentially moved up the timetable for results by a year, in my opinion. The natives became increasingly restless, not so much because of the record, but because the offense looked SOOO bad at times.

I actually think Minnesota fans can be patient if it looks like you're making progress. But the offense took a giant step backwards this year, and that made many people give up on Brewster.

The biggest problem I had with Fisch was that he became yet another example that Brewster allows too much control for the coordinators. First it was Withers and his NFL defensive schemes taht couldn't be stopped until he was gone. Then it was Dunbar with his inflexible outlook on the spread, also running uncontrolled until his sudden departure. More recently Fisch saddled us with an NFL-style offense. BTW, how many NFL teams look anemic offensively more often than not, especially in the red zone where a near-certain field goal seems to take away most of their motivation to take a risk for the sake of six points? But that's another topic.

Back to Brewster. I really like the guy. He doesn't change himself to suit our comfort level, he states his optimism up front and works like the devil to get it done. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean his decisions and coaching style are always effective. One of my biggest disappointments is his commitment (or at least seems to be one) that coordinators run their respective units. Hopefully he has learned that sometimes it works and sometimes the coach has to issue instructions to keep overzealous people working within the team's framework and vision. My guess is that Brewster's idea of "pound the rock" did not mean taking three consecutive cracks at the end zone inside the tackles with a line that had proven they could not move OL's out of the way for our fleet of miniature backs.

My guess is that Fisch will be required to work within a lot tighter framework at Seattle. Hopefully, Brewster will force his vision and will upon the program and allow no further hijacking from coordinators given free rein.

Lesson: It takes more than one year to learn and execute an offense. Can't make a judgment on Fisch one way or the other.

I still haven't forgotten Elliott Uzelac and his playcalling, which included having Corey Sauter run the option.:eek:

Top Bottom