JD Spielman has taken a personal leave from the Nebraska football team

Like the gif but not sure we need another Spielman thread. The one already dedicated to him has gotten back on track after being about everything but JD for multiple pages.

Flipping through the posts, it appears he is dealing with a "personal health issue", and is back home in MN. However, per the registrar, he is still enrolled in class. A bit perplexing to say the least.

Like the gif but not sure we need another Spielman thread. The one already dedicated to him has gotten back on track after being about everything but JD for multiple pages.

It is 100% necessary.

Flipping through the posts, it appears he is dealing with a "personal health issue", and is back home in MN. However, per the registrar, he is still enrolled in class. A bit perplexing to say the least.

He's laying the framework for an NCAA waiver.

My guess - - he is taking his classes online for the time being and they are using this as a way to punt on the question of why he isn't at spring practice.

If I was betting, he'll end up at Minnesota or the supplemental draft in July.

Frost recently lost two kickers for quite vague reasons.
The pressure Frost is under to be the Moses that leads NE not only to "relevance" in the BIG but also on the national stage must be making life difficult for some of his players.
I think he is in over his head.

The pressure Frost is under to be the Moses that leads NE not only to "relevance" in the BIG but also on the national stage must be making life difficult for some of his players.
I think he certinaly is having problems connecting with guys who aren't "his players".

The narrative in Nebraska land is that the last coach always did something wrong and the players / culture was now sort of tainted goods and the new coach has to get his guys ... and then they go on to the next coach and tell the same story ... I have trouble believing that after a couple rounds.

Now maybe that's real and it blows over just fine ... he is crooting really good.

It does make me wonder though how someone like PJ comes in and can pick up guys who aren't "his guys" ... and succeed where some coach's get excuses for not having their guys.

Yes, he is no Tom Osborne who was certainly a football coaching superstar but Frost coaching in TO's shadow? Not even close.

I think he certinaly is having problems connecting with guys who aren't "his players".

The narrative in Nebraska land is that the last coach always did something wrong and the players / culture was now sort of tainted goods and the new coach has to get his guys ... and then they go on to the next coach and tell the same story ... I have trouble believing that after a couple rounds.

Now maybe that's real and it blows over just fine ... he is crooting really good.

It does make me wonder though how someone like PJ comes in and can pick up guys who aren't "his guys" ... and succeed where some coach's get excuses for not having their guys.

In Frost's defense he is just entering year 3. Fleck's first two years were better then Frost's but things didn't really take off until year 3 which most of us feel was a bit ahead of schedule.

Nebraska will be very interesting to watch this year. They have a murderous schedule. On paper they are recruiting really well but the returns have not been there on the field to this point. If they don't start having some more sustained success this season I can see the fanbase getting really restless with their golden boy.

In Frost's defense he is just entering year 3. Fleck's first two years were better then Frost's but things didn't really take off until year 3 which most of us feel was a bit ahead of schedule.

Nebraska will be very interesting to watch this year. They have a murderous schedule. On paper they are recruiting really well but the returns have not been there on the field to this point. If they don't start having some more sustained success this season I can see the fanbase getting really restless with their golden boy.
Yeah it's a weird year.

I feel like I can draw more conclusions from the first two years than I think I will be able to draw from this year due to the schedule.... and that's not a lot to start with.

The question will be if UNL can get the transfer f__ked up somehow. Either via the NCAA or the Big Ten, denying eligibility right away. Or if they go more scorched earth, and f__k with his classes so he can't graduate without taking classes this fall semester.

I don't put it past them, one bit.

The question will be if UNL can get the transfer f__ked up somehow. Either via the NCAA or the Big Ten, denying eligibility right away. Or if they go more scorched earth, and f__k with his classes so he can't graduate without taking classes this fall semester.

I don't put it past them, one bit.
I doubt they will do anything to the extent you're talking, but if they can block his transfer within the rules, why wouldn't they, or at least who could blame them if they did? I wouldn't hold it against them if they decide not to help out a division foe.

I doubt they will do anything to the extent you're talking, but if they can block his transfer within the rules, why wouldn't they, or at least who could blame them if they did? I wouldn't hold it against them if they decide not to help out a division foe.

You can't block crap. That was the whole point of the transfer portal. To keep coaches from screwing over kids who decided they'd rather be elsewhere. It doesn't really look like we'd have a schollie for JD (as we're short already). So if he wants to play next year, he'd have to get a waiver for immediate eligibility and walk-on. Otherwise wait a year and play for us in the 2021 season.

You can't block crap. That was the whole point of the transfer portal. To keep coaches from screwing over kids who decided they'd rather be elsewhere. It doesn't really look like we'd have a schollie for JD (as we're short already). So if he wants to play next year, he'd have to get a waiver for immediate eligibility and walk-on. Otherwise wait a year and play for us in the 2021 season.
Admittedly I'm not very knowledgeable on the whole process, but my understanding was that JD doesn't have the option of entering the portal and sitting a year?

I believe he would need a hardship waiver to extend his clock to six years, in order to play in 2021. I doubt he wants to wait, anyway.

Admittedly I'm not very knowledgeable on the whole process, but my understanding was that JD doesn't have the option of entering the portal and sitting a year?
I don't think anyone really knows where he is at as to graduating, what classes he has to take etc. Somebody will get it right as its like someone threw mud against the wall and some of it stuck. Likewise something might be right as to a particular post, but most of it is not.

Well, let’s see....there are only about a million reasons why but try this one: Coughlin, Winfield, Renner, TJ, Martin, Seth Green et al are high character leadership type people and Frost inherited a group of entitled whiners is one possibility.
Another is that Frost has been an I’m Scott Frost dick and PJ treated everybody with respect.

He should have listened to his friend Carter Coughlin. Become a Gopher although he is being recruited for a different position. With is speed, who is to say he would have ended up being a WR for the Gophers eventually?

I think JD is the kind of kid who likes to stand throughout a football game and cheer on his team. Maybe even have a cold one while taking in the atmosphere.
Probably stops at the tailgating lot to shotgun a beer, before heading into the stadium!

JD can certainly get immediate eligibility by using some family bullshit. "my mom coughed" and boom, he is cleared to play immediately. And paying his own way to school shouldn't be an issue. His dad makes A LOT of money. I'd say ~$2.5 mil. Guessing if his son wanted to transfer and play, but it would cost $30,000, he'd cut that check without having to make sure the funds are available.

Not sure why anyone questions him/his character. He is a talented played with no off the field issues (that we know about). Because he went to Nebraska we don't like him or ???? Did I miss something?

Top Bottom