Jay Wright retires

Incredibly surprising to say the least. 60 years old and fresh off a Final 4 run. His last 9 years have been pretty remarkable as he has gone 263-53 (130-31 in conference - Won conference title 7 of 9 years and finished 2nd the other two years) with 3 Final 4s and 2 National Championship titles.

WOW!! I don't know Jay Wright but I respect his accomplishments. Very surprised he is retiring.
Very curious what the real cause is for making that decision. My hunch is he will return to coaching within a few years.
Gotta be devastating news to Villanova fans,
Story...some background and insight and answers

Last edited:

Shocking. I was grinding away at a nearby geek school when Rollie Massimino took them to the Championship in '85--and he was absolute royalty in the region after that.
Don't know: total speculation, but could it be health related? He looks in great health...

Yeah, I think he'll take a big deep breath, take some time off and come back in a year or two in the NBA.

There is a ton of speculation about Doc leaving Philly. There are whispers of him going to LA. There has always been talk of him leaving. That would be quite the landing spot for Jay Wright. Hell, maybe the Knicks throw a huge offer at him.

Really surprising. I am a Jay Wright and Villanova fan.

Nova should be fine though. Wright has that program basically in the blue blood category.

Incredibly surprising to say the least. 60 years old and fresh off a Final 4 run. His last 9 years have been pretty remarkable as he has gone 263-53 (130-31 in conference - Won conference title 7 of 9 years and finished 2nd the other two years) with 3 Final 4s and 2 National Championship titles.

HOF
Best coach of His era (under 70) >>>> Self

A huge loss for the game. Looks like he’ll get that big media money for about 10% of the work, and no dealing with recruiting and NIL headaches. I bet he’ll love that lifestyle and never coach again….the John Madden of college basketball.

Incredible coach. Posted a few days ago that some of the best coaches in the game would leave soon as the college game has changed in ways that simply do not fit. He just finished a season with a final 4 group that he had a long time and you will not see that often. Recruiting someone for two-three years and then at that last minute having that player take a big NIL deal from somewhere else. These coaches have 10's of millions of dollars and many things they enjoy more. Players coming and going is not for everyone including many fans who simply can walk away and do other things.

Incredible coach. Posted a few days ago that some of the best coaches in the game would leave soon as the college game has changed in ways that simply do not fit. He just finished a season with a final 4 group that he had a long time and you will not see that often. Recruiting someone for two-three years and then at that last minute having that player take a big NIL deal from somewhere else. These coaches have 10's of millions of dollars and many things they enjoy more. Players coming and going is not for everyone including many fans who simply can walk away and do other things.
I think this is much more likely than the aimless speculation I threw out there before. Fine observation, built.

Amen.

I feel like Wright had risen to the highest rung, and I'd daresay the best coach when you look at the overall product--dominant in conference, consistently deep runs in tournament resulting in Final Fours and national championships, done so with solid, but not spectacular recruits who end up sticking with the program and then emerging in the NBA as really solid players (Brunson and Bridges come to mind). All while running a seemingly clean (or as clean as it gets) program.

It's a real loss for the college game, and I wonder if it portends what the growing confluence of the transfer portal, NIL, G-League, early entry will induce established college coaches say they've had enough. I guess you could say that Roy Williams was the canary in the coal mine last year (after Walker Kessler's transfer), but I think it was assumed he wouldn't be around much longer anyway.

You look around the landscape and who's left among the giants on the sidelines? Izzo, Self, Calipari, Boeheim? Next level of Mark Few, Dana Altman, Rick Barnes, Tony Bennett, Eric Musselman, Bruce Pearl, Matt Painter, Mike Brey?

Damn...I know I'm encroaching on old man waxing nostalgic here, but when I caught the college basketball bug in the mid '80s, it seemed like every major conference had luminaries on the sidelines-a quick mental run through the '80s and '90s produces these names--Coach K, Dean Smith, Valvano, Gary Williams, Cremins, Eddie Sutton, Joe B. Hall, Richardson, John Thompson, Carnesseca, Boeheim, Calhoun, Rollie M., Pitino, John Cheney, Crum, Roy Williams, Lute Olson, Mark Montgomery, Norm Stewart, Knight, Keady, Henson, Tom Davis, Frieder, Heathcote, Digger Phelps, Johnny Orr, Billy Tubbs, Tarkanian and I'm sure I'm missing a handful (including our Clem the Gem).

Perhaps it's because I don't watch nearly as many games as before, but do the likes of Chris Beard, Mick Cronin, Chris Holtman, Tommy Lloyd, Nate Oats move the needle for excitement or antipathy? It seems like college basketball is turning into a product where the roster turnover from year to year is prolific and the personalities roaming the sidelines from days gone past have been replaced by younger, earnest, entirely forgettable clones.

Whew, that's a lot of words and tangents to get across the idea that I'm sad to see Jay Wright leaving Villanova.

So, following up on my above soapbox speech, here's the ages of some of the remaining veterans of the game:
Boeheim: 77
Izzo: 67
Calipari: 63
Self: 59
Few: 59
Altman: 63
Musselman: 57
Barnes: 67
Pearl: 62
Bennett: 52
Brey: 63
Painter: 51

Here's a fun little tidbit--Ben Johnson and PJ Fleck's combined ages are only 5 years older than Boeheim. Ben and Lindsey Whalen--3 years older.

NIL isn’t anywhere near as damaging as the one time free transfer. Villanova with Wright was never going to have trouble getting the guys they want and that’s reflected in their 2022 class. Most of the bigger NIL guys are one and dones and they never recruited many of those guys anyway. Zion Williamson was headed to Kansas for six figures in cash, minimal to no effort jobs for his parents and a paid for apartment for his family in Lawerence before he got a better offer from Duke. Everything’s just above board now.

Coaches aren’t taking full classes of High Schoolers anymore due to the portal and that kind of roster fluidity is likely to drive coaches away from the game more than anything else. I mean especially a teacher like Wright, who’s developed players better than anyone else in the country.

NIL isn’t anywhere near as damaging as the one time free transfer. Villanova with Wright was never going to have trouble getting the guys they want and that’s reflected in their 2022 class. Most of the bigger NIL guys are one and dones and they never recruited many of those guys anyway. Zion Williamson was headed to Kansas for six figures in cash, minimal to no effort jobs for his parents and a paid for apartment for his family in Lawerence before he got a better offer from Duke. Everything’s just above board now.

Coaches aren’t taking full classes of High Schoolers anymore due to the portal and that kind of roster fluidity is likely to drive coaches away from the game more than anything else. I mean especially a teacher like Wright, who’s developed players better than anyone else in the country.
Yes, the portal era is a major factor as well. I do not begrudge the players at all but it will just be a different product, i think fewer fans, less endowed scholarships as players can take the risk and pay tuition just like students.

Yeah, I think he'll take a big deep breath, take some time off and come back in a year or two in the NBA.

There is a ton of speculation about Doc leaving Philly. There are whispers of him going to LA. There has always been talk of him leaving. That would be quite the landing spot for Jay Wright. Hell, maybe the Knicks throw a huge offer at him.

If I had to make a prediction, I would say TV work. He'd be a natural at that. Digger Phelps was only 50 when he retired from coaching but he had a 20 year TV career after that.

As far as Doc, if the Sixers don't at least make the Eastern Conference finals this season, there will be a lot of grumbling and he might jump at another opportunity.

If I had to make a prediction, I would say TV work. He'd be a natural at that. Digger Phelps was only 50 when he retired from coaching but he had a 20 year TV career after that.
Jeff Goodman said that was his plan. Do some TV and hang with his family

So, following up on my above soapbox speech, here's the ages of some of the remaining veterans of the game:
Boeheim: 77
Izzo: 67
Calipari: 63
Self: 59
Few: 59
Altman: 63
Musselman: 57
Barnes: 67
Pearl: 62
Bennett: 52
Brey: 63
Painter: 51

Add another Big Ten coach: Fran McCaffrey will be 63 in a month.

I feel like Wright had risen to the highest rung, and I'd daresay the best coach when you look at the overall product--dominant in conference, consistently deep runs in tournament resulting in Final Fours and national championships, done so with solid, but not spectacular recruits who end up sticking with the program and then emerging in the NBA as really solid players (Brunson and Bridges come to mind). All while running a seemingly clean (or as clean as it gets) program.

It's a real loss for the college game, and I wonder if it portends what the growing confluence of the transfer portal, NIL, G-League, early entry will induce established college coaches say they've had enough. I guess you could say that Roy Williams was the canary in the coal mine last year (after Walker Kessler's transfer), but I think it was assumed he wouldn't be around much longer anyway.

You look around the landscape and who's left among the giants on the sidelines? Izzo, Self, Calipari, Boeheim? Next level of Mark Few, Dana Altman, Rick Barnes, Tony Bennett, Eric Musselman, Bruce Pearl, Matt Painter, Mike Brey?

Damn...I know I'm encroaching on old man waxing nostalgic here, but when I caught the college basketball bug in the mid '80s, it seemed like every major conference had luminaries on the sidelines-a quick mental run through the '80s and '90s produces these names--Coach K, Dean Smith, Valvano, Gary Williams, Cremins, Eddie Sutton, Joe B. Hall, Richardson, John Thompson, Carnesseca, Boeheim, Calhoun, Rollie M., Pitino, John Cheney, Crum, Roy Williams, Lute Olson, Mark Montgomery, Norm Stewart, Knight, Keady, Henson, Tom Davis, Frieder, Heathcote, Digger Phelps, Johnny Orr, Billy Tubbs, Tarkanian and I'm sure I'm missing a handful (including our Clem the Gem).

Perhaps it's because I don't watch nearly as many games as before, but do the likes of Chris Beard, Mick Cronin, Chris Holtman, Tommy Lloyd, Nate Oats move the needle for excitement or antipathy? It seems like college basketball is turning into a product where the roster turnover from year to year is prolific and the personalities roaming the sidelines from days gone past have been replaced by younger, earnest, entirely forgettable clones.

Whew, that's a lot of words and tangents to get across the idea that I'm sad to see Jay Wright leaving Villanova.
I definitely see your point here. There are still a bunch of rock solid coaches, eg. Scott Drew is another, it's hard to name them all but your list is good start. I think as others have said the transfer portal is a big adjustment.

This has probably been mentioned in the gopher football board where I don't vist much, but super interesting recent update from attorney Mike Caspino regarding NIL impact. He's represented a bunch of recruits. He said of the hierarchy: "Five-star quarterbacks: They're getting $2 million a year. The next-most sought after players are D-linemen, edge rushers; they're getting seven figures. The next is a stud offensive lineman with quick feet - they're in the high six figures. . . . ."

Back to basketball, I suspect it's similar type of numbers, which is unreal.

I think in some ways the blue bloods will only get stronger, and/or those that view themselves as blue bloods without necessarily that level of success eg. Texas. A ton of money to throw around via NIL, despite not the success in recent memory to match it. This is why the booster community is more important maybe than ever.

Well, at least a couple of those guys were pretty young in the 80s. Jim Valvano had just turned 37 when he won his national championship and wasn't an icon at the time. While he had 4 NCAA tournament appearances (with Iona and NC State) through his championship season, his championship was seen as one of the most unlikely ever at the time. Gary Williams was only a year older and was successful but kind of under-the-radar until the mid-90s.

Seen two people speculating in the national media about how much money the Lakers will be offering him. Didn't claim that he'd listen. I think they were emphasizing how desperate the Lakers are.

I get the speculation that the changing landscape has some to do with this, but I still think the main factor is that he is about at normal retirement age and likely has a net worth in the range of $30M-$50M. Coaching college basketball is a grind. When someone hits 60 and is financially set for life (and probably family generations to come are set for life) then what is the point of continuing to grind?

Will be shocked if he coaches in the NBA. I think he'll happily collect a million or so per year doing part-time broadcasting work for five months each year and spend the rest of his time with family or golfing. And good for him, he's earned it.

Last edited:

A huge loss for the game. Looks like he’ll get that big media money for about 10% of the work, and no dealing with recruiting and NIL headaches. I bet he’ll love that lifestyle and never coach again….the John Madden of college basketball.
I mean he is 60. Madden retired at like 45.

I mean he is 60. Madden retired at like 45.

Isn't 60 the new 45? With K coaching until 75 Wright has/had a long runway still ahead of him if he chooses. I don't think he will because being an analyst (particularly in-studio) is probably the easiest money you can make in the industry. And I'm sure he would be great at it.

Isn't 60 the new 45? With K coaching until 75 Wright has/had a long runway still ahead of him if he chooses. I don't think he will because being an analyst (particularly in-studio) is probably the easiest money you can make in the industry. And I'm sure he would be great at it.
Most people don’t work or want to work until they’re 75.
Any guy retiring between 60-70 is retiring at what I would consider a normal age to retire.

Work past 70, you’re staying in it a long time. Retire in your early 50s and you’re getting out early

Top Bottom