Jay Johnson

Yeah, I think 2014 was a better season because we had bigger wins.

That doesn't change anything about 9-4 being successful. We're the Gophers. If we win 9 games (at this point in our program), it's successful. That doesn't mean that there couldn't be better seasons (see 2014).
I've never said that 9-4 wasn't a successful season, but I would say that it only met expectations (yawn), at best. It didn't feel like what 9-4 should feel like b/c of the schedule, lots of underwhelming wins, Rivalry losses, etc. It didn't feel like it was the advance of the program that TC openly set expectations for. I'd blame the lack of a step forward on the Offense and that is where TC clearly thought he was going to see team improvement with his pick (Johnson) in place. There was lots of optimism that the new scheme was going to help Mitch get over the hump. Frankly, I think it hurt his development as a QB and I lay the blame for that on TC.

Semi related question.

Is that where they keep them?

When we've had the trophies I've wanted to go see them sometimes but honestly didn't know where they keep them most of the time...

It was super frustrating that when we had them they OFTEN were not actually at the stadium on gameday (at least not that I could see...).
Yes, that is where the Rivalry trophies were displayed when the Gophers held them.
Having the Bierman so far from TCF is not optimal. When the Gophers retrieve these trophies from the rivals, it would be a great idea to display them at TCF.

This thread is still a dumpster fire. Has there been a resolution as to where Jay ended up??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. People would be happy to have the Ax and Floyd sitting in Bierman right now plain and simple.

Maybe you are new here? Some would be happy and some would downplay it by saying something in the game or a down year for the opponent essentially makes it "not count". Just as other folks are doing with a 9-win season and the '14 win over MI. Hell, many exaggerate the PSU loss because "they weren't playing well yet". I think SONs point is there will always be some that downplay any accomplishment. IMO, those are almost always newer Gopher Fans with little perspective on this team or the differences between CFB and the NFL.

I didn't see a lot of people complaining about the loss to Illinois during the 2014 season.

I call BS. I don't recall the threads after that game but I can guarantee you there were many complaints about the game, the QB, a couple fire coach posts, and likely a few posts about giving up on ever watching this team again. I also bet the in-game thread was almost unreadable.

Most of all, I find your post claiming to remember how posters here reacted to a 2014 game vs IL and then using that "fact" to support your (incorrect) argument as very transparent to how weak your (incorrect) argument is.

Here are some of the threads after Illinois:
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?55857-Put-in-Perra/page3
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?57164-Sure-would-be-nice
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...-in-game-thread-11AM-CT-ESPNU*********/page47 Page 47 starts the post game rants.

The game before we had barely got by Purdue and that had some equally negative talk.

Woke up early this morning with nothing to do and when I read the above post, thought I would go searching GH to see what was there. :rolleyes::cry:

Agree, good post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You seriously agree that it will be considered an upgrade if Fleck only wins 7-8 games a year over the next four years?

If the season had gone as you suggest, I am willing to bet that people would be on this board complaining that "Claeys lost to Maryland and Northwestern." Unless a team goes undefeated and wins the National Championship, you can always find something to complain about - assuming you're looking to find something to complain about. I suggest that certain people on this board would have complained about anything connected to Claeys, because they didn't like Claeys. and next year, certain people will find something to complain about connected to Fleck, because they don't like Fleck. And the Circle of Life continues.

Bingo.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...-in-game-thread-11AM-CT-ESPNU*********/page47 Page 47 starts the post game rants.

The game before we had barely got by Purdue and that had some equally negative talk.

Woke up early this morning with nothing to do and when I read the above post, thought I would go searching GH to see what was there. :rolleyes::cry:

Score one for Spoofin!

You were saying KGF?????

Score one for Spoofin!

You were saying KGF?????

I mean what fan base isn't going to be disappointed after a bad loss? Not sure what point you're trying to make. It'd be better to compare outlooks after both regular seasons ended.

I mean what fan base isn't going to be disappointed after a bad loss? Not sure what point you're trying to make. It'd be better to compare outlooks after both regular seasons ended.

Follow along. KGF claimed that folks on here took the '14 IL loss in stride to try and make some goofy point. I called BS on that as I knew we would have melted down. As you said, of course we did - what fan base wouldn't be disappointed. The only point I was making is that KGF was making things up and full of it. That was proven.

see post 156 in response to KGF saying there weren't a lot of people complaining about the Illinois loss.

You seriously agree that it will be considered an upgrade if Fleck only wins 7-8 games a year over the next four years?

Indirectly posed to me so I will respond. My answer is yes, because I don't think Claeys would have averaged that over the next 4 years. Again, I'm making claims on the future which cannot be proven - but this is just a fan message board so it's not really much of a crime. Even if Claeys had been retained, I would consider 7-8 wins over the next 4 years to be more impressive than the previous 3-4 years.

For one, it would mean that the University of Minnesota went damn near a decade averaging about 7-8 wins/year, which is basically unheard of in the modern era. Secondly, when we were succeeding in 2013/2014 I believe the Big 10 was as weak as ever and it is steadily improving - plus the transition to 9 game conference schedules needs to be considered. Note - when I am talking win numbers I am always speaking "pre-bowl" numbers. I don't really judge the success of a season on glorified exhibition games (playoff, Rose Bowl are exceptions - but being in those scenarios really already guarantees magical seasons).

While I, for the most part, thoroughly enjoyed the Kill/Claeys era it is factually obvious that they couldn't get over the "Wisconsin hump." For the program to take a step forward and be where we all want it to be, we need to be able to beat the badgers occasionally. I don't see anything wrong with taking a chance on the young coach who most everybody thinks is the next big thing. I'm not blind to the fact that it may not work, but I don't think Claeys was so special that the risk wasn't worth taking.

I didn't see a lot of people complaining about the loss to Illinois during the 2014 season. Yeah, there was some disappointment that the Gophers lost the game b/c they didn't get going until the 2nd half of the game and Cobb fumbled the ball resulting in an Illinois TD. Disappointment is natural. Most fans could see that the effort was there and coaches pulled out all stops to win the game, but suffered a misfortunate event by one of the team's stars.
The biggest factor in fans not complaining is that the team didn't tank after that game and went on to crush Iowa the very next game and beat Nebraska in Lincoln, as well as play Ohio St and Wisconsin really tough
So, not bingo.
My comments, based on the bolded sentences, were based on a reflection of the season. When I said "during", it was meant as a reflection after the season. Probably not the best use of the word.
I certainly wasn't referring to in-games comments or even shortly after the game. Notice that I said "the biggest factor in fans not complaining..." and then referred to the following month of games. So it would be hard for me to be referring to emotions during the game when I clearly referenced events that followed 5 weeks later.
If I wanted to take the time, which I don't, to find disparaging in-game comments for the glorious victories of 2016, I'm sure that I could find comments in each and every game of the season except maybe Indiana St.
So let me reiterate, as a reflection of the season, most Gopher fans viewed the Illinois game with disappointment, but not a reflection of the shortcomings of the team b/c, as I said, "they didn't tank after that game".
Also, see my post at the top of this page, "I never said 9-4 wasn't a successful season...". But the feeling following the 8-4 2014 season was significantly different than 8-4 2016 season, even though the records were identical.

Indirectly posed to me so I will respond. My answer is yes, because I don't think Claeys would have averaged that over the next 4 years. Again, I'm making claims on the future which cannot be proven - but this is just a fan message board so it's not really much of a crime. Even if Claeys had been retained, I would consider 7-8 wins over the next 4 years to be more impressive than the previous 3-4 years.

For one, it would mean that the University of Minnesota went damn near a decade averaging about 7-8 wins/year, which is basically unheard of in the modern era. Secondly, when we were succeeding in 2013/2014 I believe the Big 10 was as weak as ever and it is steadily improving - plus the transition to 9 game conference schedules needs to be considered. Note - when I am talking win numbers I am always speaking "pre-bowl" numbers. I don't really judge the success of a season on glorified exhibition games (playoff, Rose Bowl are exceptions - but being in those scenarios really already guarantees magical seasons).

While I, for the most part, thoroughly enjoyed the Kill/Claeys era it is factually obvious that they couldn't get over the "Wisconsin hump." For the program to take a step forward and be where we all want it to be, we need to be able to beat the badgers occasionally. I don't see anything wrong with taking a chance on the young coach who most everybody thinks is the next big thing. I'm not blind to the fact that it may not work, but I don't think Claeys was so special that the risk wasn't worth taking.

Wow. So you are OK with expectations for Fleck to basically take a step backwards with this program over the next 4 years?

Is there a backpedal emoji?

Score one for Spoofin!

You were saying KGF?????
BTW Spoofin, taking a quote out of context demonstrates the weakness of your argument. If you're going to use my quote, use the whole quote, not a truncated version of what you wanted it to say or mean.

Upon further review, no score for Spoofin.

Good work GFB, you've proven that fans complain. Unfortunately, that wasn't the context that I was referring to. That could be proven on any Bama, Ohio St, Clemson, or any top program. Fans rip their coaches during all competitive games for what they should've done.

Your first mistake was trusting Spoofin's selective editing of my post.

BTW Spoofin, taking a quote out of context demonstrates the weakness of your argument. If you're going to use my quote, use the whole quote, not a truncated version of what you wanted it to say or mean.

Yes, I've now seen you make 3 posts claiming that when you said folks didn't complain about the '14 IL loss you didn't mean folks didn't complain complain about the '14 IL loss. So keep digging. You are making some great points. We are lucky to have you on this board.

Yes, I've now seen you make 3 posts claiming that when you said folks didn't complain about the '14 IL loss you didn't mean folks didn't complain complain about the '14 IL loss. So keep digging. You are making some great points. We are lucky to have you on this board.

+1.

You have to read all of the post, not some of it. I was clearly referring to reflection of the season. You can believe what you want, but I referred to how the Illinois game was viewed after the remaining games of the season.
If the 2016 Gophers had beaten Nebraska and Wisconsin, I'd probably view the Rutgers game as an aberration instead of the representation that it was of the entire season.

Good work GFB, you've proven that fans complain. Unfortunately, that wasn't the context that I was referring to. That could be proven on any Bama, Ohio St, Clemson, or any top program. Fans rip their coaches during all competitive games for what they should've done.

Your first mistake was trusting Spoofin's selective editing of my post.

You need a smaller shovel...

You have to read all of the post, not some of it. I was clearly referring to reflection of the season. You can believe what you want, but I referred to how the Illinois game was viewed after the remaining games of the season.
If the 2016 Gophers had beaten Nebraska and Wisconsin, I'd probably view the Rutgers game as an aberration instead of the representation that it was of the entire season.

Nah he's just going to ignore it and pretend that people were disappointed after the 2014 season.

Wow. So you are OK with expectations for Fleck to basically take a step backwards with this program over the next 4 years?

Dude - first of all, let's say I am predicting 30 regular season wins for Fleck over the next 4 years (7-8/per year) that would be better than the 29 (remember I am not counting bowl games) over the previous 4 so I'm sure where you are getting a 'step back' from. Also I think I articulated the reasons why I believe even a flat line would be an improvement over what I believe Claeys would have done.

Top Bottom