Jarvis Johnson will not be medically cleared to play

Will this entire damn program always be cursed? Incredible.

This is really bad news:

STATEMENT FROM JARVIS JOHNSON AND FAMILY & UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA ATHLETICS:
“It has been determined that Jarvis will not be medically cleared to play basketball at the University of Minnesota. While we are extremely disappointed, the health and welfare of Jarvis is our highest priority. We are excited that Jarvis has decided to accept his scholarship to the U and will remain a part of the basketball program. Coach Pitino and his staff are looking forward to having Jarvis on campus, where he will get an outstanding college education while supporting the team in any way he can. Jarvis has dreamed of being a part of the Gopher basketball family; and we are happy that he will be.”

STATEMENT FROM HEAD COACH RICHARD PITINO:
“Unfortunately, Jarvis Johnson will not be playing on our team this season. However, we are extremely excited that he has decided to accept his scholarship and pursue his undergraduate degree here at the U, where he will also remain a part of our program. Jarvis is a tremendous young man, and we support him and look forward to having him here.”

At this point - do you re-open recruiting, or bank the scholarship until next year? I would say bank the scholarship.

We are cursed. This really sucks.

Is Johnson still on a basketball scholarship that counts against the team? If not, at lost we have room for Coffey and Ponds now.

At this point - do you re-open recruiting, or bank the scholarship until next year? I would say bank the scholarship.

I don't know that this opens a scholarship. He's using it. I'd assume at some point we could try to get a waiver to keep him on scholarship but not have it count against the 13. But for this year I'll bet we will just be short handed.

Welcome back, Zach?

This is really sad news, but Jarvis's health is most important.

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There is no timetable being placed right now on Johnson's status to be cleared to play after this season, according to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a>.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/status/610506196852842496">June 15, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will we get to find out what is medically wrong with him? Will he get to play on team next year or do you think his basketball career is over with for the gophs? If anyone can logically answer these questions.

How many players is this now that have left, been kicked out, had issues, or denied?

Juan Piper, Jarvis Johnson, Jonathon Nwankwo, McNeil, Josh Martin, Konate, Diedhiou, Wally Ellenson, Buckles.

Missing Anyone?

Will we get to find out what is medically wrong with him? Will he get to play on team next year or do you think his basketball career is over with for the gophs? If anyone can logically answer these questions.

He has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and plays with an implanted defibrillator, so I assume it has to do with that.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just put GopherHole, Twitter, and any other Gopher source away and show up at the exhibition game in November and see what 10-14 guys put on a Gopher uniform that day. It's unbelievable, it really is.

wonder if it can be an insurance issue. Don't know details but he's dealt with this for 4 years now so its not a new problem unless there are new complications

Ponds recruitment definitely makes sense now. Bank JJ's scholarship and hope to get Coffey and Ponds next year.

Watch him get cleared at another University (Wisconsin/ISU-puke).

This is just horrible. Has to be really really awful for Jarvis. Man, feel so bad for him.

Hopefully there is some way he can be cleared to play next year.

Apparently yes. Wow, it just never ends.

Curse of Gangelhoff.

It never will end, will it?

Is this a new issue, or is the U just not clearing him to play with the same issue he's had for the last few years? If the later, that really, really sucks.

Interesting that they go out of their way (multiple times) to say he will be attending the U. Also interesting Pitino says he won't be playing "this season." My guess is he will be attending this year and going through a series of tests to see if he can get cleared. If not able to, maybe he wants to be a basketball coach and transitions into a manager/student asst role.

How does a kid perform that well in HS and AAU but not get cleared to play for the U? Nervous team doctors? A real threat to his health that's been ignored by HS & AAU for years?

How does a kid perform that well in HS and AAU but not get cleared to play for the U? Nervous team doctors? A real threat to his health that's been ignored by HS & AAU for years?

Agreed. Seems really weird. Just sucks for everyone involved.

It never will end, will it?

Is this a new issue, or is the U just not clearing him to play with the same issue he's had for the last few years? If the later, that really, really sucks.

Sure doesn't feel like it.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just put GopherHole, Twitter, and any other Gopher source away and show up at the exhibition game in November and see what 10-14 guys put on a Gopher uniform that day. It's unbelievable, it really is.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the program might be eligible for exorcism.

Bummer. I can't imagine how Jarvis feels. Maybe he will be able to be cleared later. If not I guess this means that you go for Ponds for sure. I wonder if this switches what type of scholly he is on and if the U can petition to have another to replace?

Top Bottom