Jarvis Johnson will not be medically cleared to play

He changed his last name to Jackson?
Maybe he's trying to separate himself from Jarvis Johnson's medical history. I can't take anything in that article seriously after such a ridiculous error.

For what it's worth, Jarvis would not have got into the U without basketball. If he can't play he's lucky to have the opportunity to attend a school better than what he could have gotten in to.

There was nothing wrong with the video. He reiterated that there is a long precedent of kids being turned down and exploring going elsewhere. You may note that he points out that most of those young men with this condition had to drop out of the sport at their new school as well.

Yes, the interesting point of the video is that basically all of the players that have been considered medically unable to play at the larger schools ended up not play very long at the smaller schools that let them play.

Many people forget about individual privacy rights in saying the U knew before the family, should have known, or tested him earlier, etc... Pitino took a big risk by offering him and I am sure they all thought it would work, but the U's doctors determined that JJ is not health enough to play at the college level. People want to think it is all about liability, but I bet the doctor's first priority is the health of JJ. It is easy in retrospect to criticize the coach for not anticipating that he wouldn't be able to play, but could you imagine the uproar if Pitino would have passed on JJ for health reasons? It was an honest attempt to get the best player in the state, it just didn't work out. The good news is that Jarvis will get an education out of the deal and be a part of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know this as fact or just throwing shiz at the wall? You don't have to be a kid genius to get into the U.

I know this for a fact. I'll just say I work at the U.

I don't doubt you have inside info. Just curious which area/office/department it's coming from.

I wouldn't answer that if I worked at the U (which I do not), and provided that info on a public forum. It's safe to assume he either works within athletics, admissions, a department that has access to admissions records, knows someone in any of the aforementioned areas, or the rumor mill at the U is in full force with regard to this issue. Potentially he/she could PM you, but there are only pitfalls for him/her to disclose the department on a public forum.

For what it's worth, Jarvis would not have got into the U without basketball. If he can't play he's lucky to have the opportunity to attend a school better than what he could have gotten in to.
True for a lot of athletes ...Carson Shanks did not get in. The U generally requires a mid 20's> ACT for a chance to get in . Several athletes would not have been admitted to the U if not for athletics.

True for a lot of athletes ...Carson Shanks did not get in. The U generally requires a mid 20's> ACT for a chance to get in . Several athletes would not have been admitted to the U if not for athletics.

Depends on program... fall of 2014 -- almost a third of those admitted to Education & Human Development scored below 24.

Depends on program... fall of 2014 -- almost a third of those admitted to Education & Human Development scored below 24.

Definitely depends on the program. Each college within the U has different standards for admissions, some of which vary greatly. The science/engineering, biology, and business schools are all pretty tough to get into without a very strong academic record in high school, some of the others not so much. Not trying to trash the liberal arts or education schools or anything, it's just how the U (and most other big public schools) work.

Understandable. There's a saying: "if you can't do, you teach. And if you can't teach, you teach gym".

All public and most private schools publish their admission standards. The Uof M is just not that hard to get into.

All public and most private schools publish their admission standards. The Uof M is just not that hard to get into.

Again, totally depends on the program and what your definition of "hard to get into" is. Based on acceptance rates and test scores, only Michigan and Northwestern are tougher to get into than Minnesota in the Big Ten if you look at the university as a whole, but that is mainly because of only three of the U's colleges having extremely high admissions standards.

Again, totally depends on the program and what your definition of "hard to get into" is. Based on acceptance rates and test scores, only Michigan and Northwestern are tougher to get into than Minnesota in the Big Ten if you look at the university as a whole, but that is mainly because of only three of the U's colleges having extremely high admissions standards.

Built Badger is a delusional idiot. As you've stated, UMN is a bigger school with a lower acceptance rate than UW and basically the same average act scores.

That doesn't fit his Harvard of the Midwest attitude though. The guy is like 70 and most likely went to school there when the school and the athletic department were a joke.

The U is hard to get into it just varies from school within the U to school within the U.

- The college of Science and Engineering is ranked top 10 to 15ish among public schools
- The Carlson School of Management is ranked top 20-30ish total
- The The College of Biological Sciences is probably top 30

These vary yearly but generally we are ranked extremely high among public schools especially in the midwest.

The schools that are *easy* to get into are a totally different story. The College of Liberal Arts (CLA), College of Design (CDes) and The College of Education and human development (CEHD) are all fairly average. CLA is above Design and Education though. CLA is definitely becoming more competitive, the average accepted ACT this year was probably between 28 and 30.

To get into CEHD and CDes you don't need fantastic statistics because you don't need to be crazy smart to be a teacher or a designer. The School of Architecture is in CDes and that requires another application to get in once you get into CDes. Basically our acceptance rate would be alot lower and the average statistics of our incoming freshmen would be alot higher if it wasn't for CEHD and CDes.

*Note, our Nursing program is slowly becoming very competitive as well and that is in CLA. It requires another application once you are admitted*

Our admissions system is different from the likes of UW Madison because we automatically admit people into the school they want to attend. They generally have to apply to the major but if they are interested in engineering and are admitted into the school they will be studying some type of engineering. At UW Madison *generally* students are admitted into the university as a whole, then they apply for the school they want to attend. This allows for lower scoring students to do well in college classes and get admitted into schools they wouldn't have been admitted to out of high school.

More Notes:
- Generally the joke majors are in CEHD
- Somehow Business Marketing Education is in CEHD and is very popular among athletes. It allows them to learn a dumbed down version of marketing and not need the grades to get into Carlson.
- Sports management in CEHD is popular among athletes as well... Because duh.
- Anecdotally, I think Youth studies might be the biggest joke of a major. Lot's of hockey players do it because they know they won't graduate, and it teaches them some skills in case they want to coach someday.
- This is not to say athletes have it easy here. Tons of athletes are in Carlson, as well as CSE and CBS, but the ones who wanted a Big 10 experience but couldn't get into the competitive schools are probably in CEHD.
- ALL Big 10 schools have this besides Northwestern, we aren't special. But we do probably give athletes a better shot at getting in than UW Madison.

All this information can be found online or is fairly common knowledge among U students. I used no special inside information to get this stuff.

per Jarvis' Mom:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

UCLA actually and grad school at Harvard. Would never compare UW to Harvard but for general admission rates and scores the numbers are published and UM is much easier for admission versus several, almost all Big Ten Schools and no where near UVA or UCLA. I am in my 70's but that does not make me a fool for researching facts.

Don't have any stats to back this up, but it's well known that a large amount of athletes major in Business & Marketing Education.

Wouldn't be a stretch to assume the 29% of CEHD students with an ACT<24 correspond roughly with scholarship athletes.

for general admission rates and scores the numbers are published and UM is much easier for admission versus several, almost all Big Ten Schools

From where are you getting your BS info? This is simply not true and likely wholly fabricated.

and no where near UVA or UCLA.

That was said by exactly "no one" and "no where" in this thread, but that's a beautiful straw man you've constructed.

I am in my 70's but that does not make me a fool for researching facts.

Assuming that you actually did any research, you needed to do a better job of it.

Top Bottom