Jarvis Johnson Commits to the U of M #SkiUMah

RT'd by Jarvis

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now is the time I like to go on buckyville and just read all of their stupidity. Btw some posters have said they have no shot at Illikainen

Now is the time I like to go on buckyville and just read all of their stupidity. Btw some posters have said they have no shot at Illikainen

I read a few of the quotes on 247 and they seemed unsurprised and mildly understanding of the kid's decision. Also seem borderline miffed that Bo couldn't follow up the Final Four with a solid recruiting class.

I'd still puke if AI went to Wisonsin.

It is ironic that Wisconsin fans laughed at us for winning the NIT Championship and think it would help our recruiting. They went to the Final Four and are on pace to have to sign at least 3 or 4 spring recruits.

I read a few of the quotes on 247 and they seemed unsurprised and mildly understanding of the kid's decision. Also seem borderline miffed that Bo couldn't follow up the Final Four with a solid recruiting class.

I'd still puke if AI went to Wisonsin.
The posts I hate the most are the ones about Pitino being a bad coach and gets things just because of his last name. Also them praising Bo

It is ironic that Wisconsin fans laughed at us for winning the NIT Championship and think it would help our recruiting. They went to the Final Four and are on pace to have to sign at least 3 or 4 spring recruits.

+1

Don't you peoples' sour grapes ever ripen so you can move on? :cry::cry::cry:

Funny you say that considering that I was one of the few who didn't complain when Reid went to Stanford. In fact, I stated that I completely understood why he made the decision he did. I have a feeling I am in the minority on that one however, hence the response.

Somebody on this forum (sorry to whoever I'm failing to give credit to) had a great quote on this about a week ago - something like "It's not surprising that UW has a bad recruiting class following a Final Four run - more people had to watch their style of play"

Vikings always have to steal the spotlight from the U of M. Thanks Adrian.

Vikings always have to steal the spotlight from the U of M. Thanks Adrian.

All things considered, I'm positive this is one time the Vikings would gladly shrink back into a corner and let the Gophers have the limelight.

Congratulations young man! Welcome aboard the Gopher train!

Somebody on this forum (sorry to whoever I'm failing to give credit to) had a great quote on this about a week ago - something like "It's not surprising that UW has a bad recruiting class following a Final Four run - more people had to watch their style of play"

I'll take credit for that one...;)

Agreed. I don't care about Reid's thoughts on the Gophers' offense or anything else, to be honest. Now Jarvis? Jarvis is my boy now. I hope he rediscovers his shooting stroke and shows all the doubters wrong.

Damn right. Travis who? Why isn't he on campus out there right now?

Congratulations Jarvis - Super excited to watch you and all of the new Gophers play!

Didn't want to post about the commitment until it was actually official, so WELCOME ABOARD JARVIS JOHNSON!!! Jarvis will be known as the first local HS kid to commit to Pitino, and hopefully he's setting a trend for the '16 and '17 kids and beyond. This commitment goes beyond just Jarvis' talent on the floor as Coach Pitino had to be feeling some pressure to land a highly regarded local kid after missing out on a few last year. If Jarvis and Alex both bolted the state, it would become even easier for the local kids to look elsewhere for the college basketball experience. Jarvis is making a statement that it's just as cool to be at the "U" as it is to go to UNLV, Wisconsin, etc. Pitino made a statement that he is capable of landing the local talent, and it's just an overall great day to be a Gopher Hoops fan.

On the court, I think Jarvis will be a great test for Pitino and his coaching staff's ability to develop players. Jarvis isn't as good a basketball player as a lot of kids rated above (and arguably many below) him right now, but his ceiling is really high. How many programs have players that project as point guards that can just explode in to a two hand dunk in a game situation? Jarvis was catching lobs from Tyus and finishing above the rim last season! The kid has the athletic ability and the frame to be special, but it might take some time. I haven't heard anyone describe him as a natural PG (didn't consistently run the point for Pulley in EYBL this last season) and his jumper has been described as inconsistent. Obviously, a lot of schools see the potential in Jarvis and at one point even Kansas was staying in contact with him. This is a big get, but the next step is also hard work: helping Jarvis realize his potential. I think this is a great fit with the way Coach Pitino wants to play and the presence of a number of other guards to accentuate what Jarvis already does consistently well.

Losing Dre, DeAndre, Big Mo, and Elliott will be very tough, but this staff has done what they had to do in landing some kids with legit offers/rankings to replace a very talented Senior class.

Congrats to Jarvis Johnson on a great decision and congrats to Pitino and staff on landing their first in-state "must" get!

Retweeted by Jarvis Johnson
Dupree McBrayer @InPree_WeTrust · 8h
@MuhneyyChief_12 Welcome To the Fam ? #GOPHERNATION
View conversation
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 2 times2 FavoriteFavorited 19 times19
More

Our back court is going to be a hornet's nest for opponents. Great things ahead! Pitino headed toward legendary status. Keep pounding!

Didn't want to post about the commitment until it was actually official, so WELCOME ABOARD JARVIS JOHNSON!!! Jarvis will be known as the first local HS kid to commit to Pitino, and hopefully he's setting a trend for the '16 and '17 kids and beyond. This commitment goes beyond just Jarvis' talent on the floor as Coach Pitino had to be feeling some pressure to land a highly regarded local kid after missing out on a few last year. If Jarvis and Alex both bolted the state, it would become even easier for the local kids to look elsewhere for the college basketball experience. Jarvis is making a statement that it's just as cool to be at the "U" as it is to go to UNLV, Wisconsin, etc. Pitino made a statement that he is capable of landing the local talent, and it's just an overall great day to be a Gopher Hoops fan.

On the court, I think Jarvis will be a great test for Pitino and his coaching staff's ability to develop players. Jarvis isn't as good a basketball player as a lot of kids rated above (and arguably many below) him right now, but his ceiling is really high. How many programs have players that project as point guards that can just explode in to a two hand dunk in a game situation? Jarvis was catching lobs from Tyus and finishing above the rim last season! The kid has the athletic ability and the frame to be special, but it might take some time. I haven't heard anyone describe him as a natural PG (didn't consistently run the point for Pulley in EYBL this last season) and his jumper has been described as inconsistent. Obviously, a lot of schools see the potential in Jarvis and at one point even Kansas was staying in contact with him. This is a big get, but the next step is also hard work: helping Jarvis realize his potential. I think this is a great fit with the way Coach Pitino wants to play and the presence of a number of other guards to accentuate what Jarvis already does consistently well.

Losing Dre, DeAndre, Big Mo, and Elliott will be very tough, but this staff has done what they had to do in landing some kids with legit offers/rankings to replace a very talented Senior class.

Congrats to Jarvis Johnson on a great decision and congrats to Pitino and staff on landing their first in-state "must" get!
Disagree to an extent. This is where AAU culture annoys me. Jarvis successfully manned the point and has been the primary ball handler at DLS for 3 years. He's been a pass first guy who sets up the offense and has had no problem taking fewer shots than his teammates. He's played D and played up tempo. Then in AAU, where they play with little structure or discipline, he took a ton of threes and generally got way more aggressive offensively and had some struggles, so now what he did in a few AAU tournaments outweighs what he's done for 3 years in HS somehow. Kid is a leader, a winner, unselfish, an excellent ballhandler and a great athlete. He'll be fine

Disagree to an extent. This is where AAU culture annoys me. Jarvis successfully manned the point and has been the primary ball handler at DLS for 3 years. He's been a pass first guy who sets up the offense and has had no problem taking fewer shots than his teammates. He's played D and played up tempo. Then in AAU, where they play with little structure or discipline, he took a ton of threes and generally got way more aggressive offensively and had some struggles, so now what he did in a few AAU tournaments outweighs what he's done for 3 years in HS somehow. Kid is a leader, a winner, unselfish, an excellent ballhandler and a great athlete. He'll be fine
I've been a big(relatively speaking) proponent of signing someone other than Jarvis mostly because I didn't really like what I saw from mixtapes or from the descriptions of his summer league game. The quoted is some good stuff to hear and I'll be following a lot more during the school year. If this kid can be al Nolen with the ability to finish at the rim in excited as hell!

We are still missing a pure spot shooter on the team. Hopefully the reported plus shooting ability of our 4s and 5s compensates enough.

I've been a big(relatively speaking) proponent of signing someone other than Jarvis mostly because I didn't really like what I saw from mixtapes or from the descriptions of his summer league game. The quoted is some good stuff to hear and I'll be following a lot more during the school year. If this kid can be al Nolan with the ability to finish at the rim in excited as hell!

We are still missing a pure spot shooter on the team. Hopefully the reported plus shooting ability of our 4s and 5s compensates enough.

Get as excited as hell!

Have you ever seen Zach Lofton shoot???????

Jarvis with Lofton on the court is a lineup that could dangerous, Jarvis is a scorer but isn't a great shooter, he can penetrate and dish, if the recipient happens to be someone like Lofton watch out. A combination like Mason, Johnson, and Lofton on the court could be interesting.

Have you ever seen Zach Lofton shoot???????

No.

And the initial reports are he likes to. I have faith in Jiggas version of his Illinois state shooting woes. But if he's a knockdown shooter that's a bonus. My expectation is he is a Westbrook esque player in that he will win us a bunch of games, but likely make us pull our hair out a few times as well.

Top Bottom