Janel McCarville returns to coach her alma mater

adamj95

Reaction score

McCarville, a 6-foot-2 center, set an NCAA record during her time at the University of Minnesota for most rebounds in the tournament, and was picked first in the WNBA draft in 2005. She went on to have a distinguished professional career, winning a WNBA championship with the Minnesota Lynx in 2013 and spending offseasons playing in international leagues in Slovakia, Italy, Poland, Russia and China. After her WNBA career ended in 2016, she played five seasons for Alviks in Sweden.

Good for Janel, one of my all time favorites. Her connection with Lindsay was so much fun to watch.

Good for Janel, one of my all time favorites. Her connection with Lindsay was so much fun to watch.
Janel is a legend in Stevens Point. Her practice intensity, screen setting, basketball I
Q., passing ability make her one of the all time gopher greats. I love hearing the Janel stories when she was in high-school and look forward to watching the SPASH games this year.

Janel is a legend in Stevens Point. Her practice intensity, screen setting, basketball I
Q., passing ability make her one of the all time gopher greats. I love hearing the Janel stories when she was in high-school and look forward to watching the SPASH games this year.
She knocked my high school out in the state tournament when I was there (Go Old Abes!) and I remember barely being able to comprehend that the most skilled person on the floor was also twice the size of everyone else. Corrin Von Wald had been the most terrifying high schooler I’d seen play us over the years until that point, and it was a massive jump up to Janel.

Looks like they lost their first four games and have now won three in a row! Hope they just keep winning!

The most vivid memory I have from the Glory Days of Lindsay and Janel is that pick Janel set at mid-court on that poor player from Virginia. (I think Virginia, but I can still see her crumbling and being helped to the bench.)
had one against them..

also had one AT PURDUE which was ooof..

Janel takes a second to look at the player and then heads back up the court.

I wonder if AD Coyle considered McCarville for Whalen's replacement. After all, she was a great pro and had no prior coaching experience at any level.
Janel never got her college degree so she isn't going to get a college coaching job as that is a typical requirement for those positions.

I wonder if AD Coyle considered McCarville for Whalen's replacement. After all, she was a great pro and had no prior coaching experience at any level.
It is so nice to have a staff that has coached together for a bit.

Janel never got her college degree so she isn't going to get a college coaching job as that is a typical requirement for those positions.
Are you sure about that? She has her name in the rafters, and I'm quite positive that a degree is a prerequisite for being so honored.

Are you sure about that? She has her name in the rafters, and I'm quite positive that a degree is a prerequisite for being so honored.
Nope. At the time, it was noted that an exception was made for her (my assumption was that Whalen was behind it, as the then-coach). I'm sure if you search, it's in this forum somewhere.

I think Lindsay pushed for it. Not sure if Janel earned her degree or not.

I think it is okay to still be salty over hiring Whalen who had no experience coaching.....also okay to LOVE Whalen the person/player yet still be SMH at the hire...look at the difference in the team already
How about dragging it into unrelated threads and contributing literally nothing else to the board?

Top Bottom