Jamal Mashburn Jr. following Pitino to UNM?

MaroonShaft

Banned
Reaction score
Browsing the r/collegebasketball thread on Jaelen House committing to UNM when I saw this. Interesting.

Attachments

• 77ABC2C0-AA83-4C86-B65D-F3F8FF9363AC.jpeg
    77ABC2C0-AA83-4C86-B65D-F3F8FF9363AC.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 69

I guess Dick Pit did give him pretty good run the second half of the season. Maybe Mash likes the freedom Pitino gives his players, particularly the ball-handers and shooters. I sure wish BJ could figure a way to get him back here.

I guess Dick Pit did give him pretty good run the second half of the season. Maybe Mash likes the freedom Pitino gives his players, particularly the ball-handers and shooters. I sure wish BJ could figure a way to get him back here.
No, let him go. He doesn’t guard well, doesn’t shoot from three well, and wants to control the ball.

I like the idea of Ben getting his own guys in here. I'm fine with Mash going. He's a good player though and will probably have a solid college career.

Pitino could be assembling a fairly good team at New Mexico. One that could compete in that conference.

Masburn and Pitino fit together. I think Mash will find his most success being a ball dominant lead guard. He'll do well in that conference for Pitino.

Pitino could be assembling a fairly good team at New Mexico. One that could compete in that conference.

Or, maybe he will do in that conference what he did in this one.

Or, maybe he will do in that conference what he did in this one.
Which was to be a very promising freshman guard, a very hard worker and, by all appearances, a great teammate and very coachable athlete. Dick Pit would have probably been better served to give him more run at PG, move Marcus to the 2 more often and use Gabe a little more sparingly.

Which was to be a very promising freshman guard, a very hard worker and, by all appearances, a great teammate and very coachable athlete. Dick Pit would have probably been better served to give him more run at PG, move Marcus to the 2 more often and use Gabe a little more sparingly.

I was talking about Pitino, not Mashburn, although I'm not crying about Mashburn's departure either.

Pitino has a true running mate. With them the best, its always cool to see a great coach/player bond, maybe they can make some noise together.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see another 1-2 former Gophers end up there too.

He was a freshman this year lol played fine. Wants to control the ball? Lol priceless
Being a freshman has nothing to do with defending well - he’s a liability on defense in the Big Ten because at size he struggles to defend anyone with size and multiple positions. Teams were forcing switches and taking advantage of that. I like the kid, played hard, and would be a decent player off the bench. I don’t think that’s what he wants though. If he was a clear Big Ten type player he wouldn’t be going to New Mexico - he obviously didn’t have a lot of offers.

Being a freshman has nothing to do with defending well - he’s a liability on defense in the Big Ten because at size he struggles to defend anyone with size and multiple positions. Teams were forcing switches and taking advantage of that. I like the kid, played hard, and would be a decent player off the bench. I don’t think that’s what he wants though. If he was a clear Big Ten type player he wouldn’t be going to New Mexico - he obviously didn’t have a lot of offers.
Sure it does. He played fine as a freshman. Can he get better defensively in the next 3 years? Absolutely! Most freshman dont play well defensively, but they can learn.

I've seen better.
So have I. I thought Dickerson had a good year. Patrick Ewing back in the day as a freshman played pretty well. My point is I think were being a little harsh on a guy who had a decent freshman year. Now some people could care less if he came back or not. Sure I guess we can replace him, but I would assume hes only gonna get better.

So have I. I thought Dickerson had a good year. Patrick Ewing back in the day as a freshman played pretty well. My point is I think were being a little harsh on a guy who had a decent freshman year. Now some people could care less if he came back or not. Sure I guess we can replace him, but I would assume hes only gonna get better.

There were a couple of things I liked about him but, if he's a first or second option, I don't think that's a successful team. He also doesn't have the preferences or instincts that I look for in a point guard. Of all freshman guards in the country averaging 10 or more minutes per game, he wasn't even in the top 100 in assist percentage. Under those same criteria, there were 6 freshman Big Ten guards higher than him. If you take Big Ten guards of all classes who played 10 or more minutes per game, there were 38 better than him on that measure. Gach ranked 12 places higher.

You don't have to reach as high as Dickerson or Patrick Ewing to find many freshman better than him.

I thought Mash had a good freshman year and I think that he would have been a decent B1G player. He became more confident as the year went on and he became a bigger contributor. I'm not sure if it was the influence of Carr or the expectation of Pitino, but Mash did become a little too ball dominant. It will be interesting to see if that's his style of play in NM.

There were a couple of things I liked about him but, if he's a first or second option, I don't think that's a successful team. He also doesn't have the preferences or instincts that I look for in a point guard. Of all freshman guards in the country averaging 10 or more minutes per game, he wasn't even in the top 100 in assist percentage. Under those same criteria, there were 6 freshman Big Ten guards higher than him. If you take Big Ten guards of all classes who played 10 or more minutes per game, there were 38 better than him on that measure. Gach ranked 12 places higher.
Great info. Thank you.

You don't have to reach as high as Dickerson or Patrick Ewing to find many freshman better than him.
Hes definately not shy on chucking it up.

Top Bottom