Jaden Henley committed!

Interesting, but they must see something in him. I will trust the process. Welcome aboard Jaden!

How many spots do they have left to fill? Seems they still need a center and a point guard. How many spots do they save for the portal?

Interesting, but they must see something in him. I will trust the process. Welcome aboard Jaden!

How many spots do they have left to fill? Seems they still need a center and a point guard. How many spots do they save for the portal?
Curry
Willis
Loewe
Stephens
Daniels
Ogele
Surherlan

So 7 if all those come off the books. Some would have the chance to play another year if they/BJ wanted too. And we can have 13 schollies….so can sign up to 8? If I did my math right…

my speculation would be they keep at least 3 for grad transfers/transfers

CG-Henley
SG-Carrington. Thiam
SF/PF-Battle, Ihnen, Ola-joseph, Fox
PF/C-Payne, Thompson

A grad transfer PG is a must
Grad Transfer Center?
Walton? 😁
Final spot for another high school recruit? Or maybe giving to Ramberg?

You're probably right but he's one of the worst starting B10 centers in the last 50 years; and that's not an exaggeration.
BK averaged ~5ppg and 5rpg as a sophomore in 21.5 minutes.

Ralph Sampson III averaged roughly 6 and 4 in similar minutes as a freshman.

Both starting centers. Just for some perspective.

Just wanna say no one should ever rip on Konate. He worked super hard, turned his body into a B1G body and on senior night literally cried he was so happy he attended Minnesota and was able to play basketball and graduate. At the end of the day he was a great ambassador and loved it here. I respect that.
He should have received a four year academic scholarship. Great student, great guy. Made the university a better place. Couldn't play basketball.

Just wanna say no one should ever rip on Konate. He worked super hard, turned his body into a B1G body and on senior night literally cried he was so happy he attended Minnesota and was able to play basketball and graduate. At the end of the day he was a great ambassador and loved it here. I respect that.

Well said.

I don't care about snapshot numbers. I saw them both play. Sampson was not a world beater and he didn't play up to his potential. He even physically looked like less of a player than Konate. However, in terms of ability and performance, he was all NBA compared to Konate.

By reputation Konate and Gas were good guys and they probably brought the team's GPA up. Pitino gets genuine credit for not running them off when it was obvious (early on) that they couldn't play. Keeping them on the team was the ethical thing to do. Many coaches would have exited them. However, the combined eight years helped suck the spirit out of the program. I could be wrong, but I believe they were offered scholarships sight unseen based on Rick's recommendation and something to do with an overseas travel deal. That should not have happened.

He should have received a four year academic scholarship. Great student, great guy. Made the university a better place. Couldn't play basketball.
We’ll be certainly could. He started a bunch of games in the big ten. More than nearly anyone I know can say. The fact that you’re this mad that BK spent four years on the team a few years ago is kinda sad.

We’ll be certainly could. He started a bunch of games in the big ten. More than nearly anyone I know can say. The fact that you’re this mad that BK spent four years on the team a few years ago is kinda sad.
I'm not mad and you shouldn't be sad. It was a misplaced allocation of resources that made it more challenging for the program to thrive.

Man, some people just can't find it within themselves to give up the Pitino love.

The fact he started a bunch of basketball games in the B1G doesn't mean he was a B1G basketball player. For the same reason Pitino wasn't a B1G coach.

Since you decided to cherry pick some numbers, I thought I should take a look. As we know, Ralph was no world beater. Tubby really recruited the name, not the player. Over his career he averaged 8.1ppg and 5rpg. BK was 2.6ppg and 3.1rpg.

Curry
Willis
Loewe
Stephens
Daniels
Ogele
Surherlan

So 7 if all those come off the books. Some would have the chance to play another year if they/BJ wanted too. And we can have 13 schollies….so can sign up to 8? If I did my math right…

CG-Henley
SG-Carrington. Thiam
PF/C-Payne, Thompson

Grad Transfer Center?
Walton? 😁
Final spot for another high school recruit? Or maybe giving to Ramberg
Curry
Willis
Loewe
Stephens
Daniels
Ogele
Surherlan

CG-Henley
SG-Carrington. Thiam
PF/C-Payne, Thompson

Grad Transfer Center?
Walton? 😁
Final spot for another high school recruit? Or maybe giving to Ramberg?
Hoping Sutherlin returns. (If possible)

Since you decided to cherry pick some numbers, I thought I should take a look. As we know, Ralph was no world beater. Tubby really recruited the name, not the player. Over his career he averaged 8.1ppg and 5rpg. BK was 2.6ppg and 3.1rpg.
Compare minutes. Cause mine were similar minutes. Yours will not be. At least do a better job cherry picking.

Compare minutes. Cause mine were similar minutes. Yours will not be. At least do a better job cherry picking.
Why do you think BK got far fewer minutes than Ralph over his career?
Secondly, if we even up the minutes that pushes BK’s scoring average to 4.6ppg.
You can keep trying I suppose, but it’s a failed comparison. Maybe you can find some gopher center from the 30’s or 40’s where the comparison looks more favorable if that will make you feel better.

4yr rebuilding program. All new starters this year and next. We'll see what it looks like when today's freshmen are seniors.
Well, I’m going to go out on the limb and say, Battle, being a Soph, is going to return. From what Spencer claimed on a radio broadcast, Curry could return if he wanted. Conceivably 2 of 5 could be back. Curry I will believe when I see it. Battle I would be really surprised if he wasn’t back. Lots of games left this year. Good luck to Henley and nice to see him choose the Gophers over San Diego State.

Why do you think BK got far fewer minutes than Ralph over his career?
Secondly, if we even up the minutes that pushes BK’s scoring average to 4.6ppg.
You can keep trying I suppose, but it’s a failed comparison. Maybe you can find some gopher center from the 30’s or 40’s where the comparison looks more favorable if that will make you feel better.
Actually if you check the per 40 on both…
RS3: 13.1 and 8.2 on 10.55FGA
BK: 7.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, on 5.5FGA

id take BK per 40 averages. More efficient and crushed the boards!
I’m not saying he is good but he isn’t nearly as useless and didn’t hurt the program nearly as much as you think.

Actually if you check the per 40 on both…
RS3: 13.1 and 8.2 on 10.55FGA
BK: 7.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, on 5.5FGA

id take BK per 40 averages. More efficient and crushed the boards!
I’m not saying he is good but he isn’t nearly as useless and didn’t hurt the program nearly as much as you think.
OK, Bakary. In the year you saw the floor the most the gophers were 8-23 and 2-16 in the B1G.

As I said earlier, you are an all around good guy. You were reportedly a good student and you were most definitely an asset to the university. I wish they had given you an academic scholarship. You had no business playing B1G basketball unless, maybe, as a walk on.

Damn it! I click on "Jaden Henley committed!" to follow two guys arguing about Bakary Konate's scoring average not to find out information about Ben's latest recruit.
To be fair, with most threads once you get beyond the first couple of posts it is very likely that some strange and totally unrelated argument is going to start that will then take up the majority of the rest of the thread.

Not a lot seems to be known about this latest commit, but will be interesting to see what the recruiting sites come up to once they get their profiles together on him.

No, but i know what a strong evaluator he is and how Johnson trusts him.
As indicated earlier…..Marcus Jenkins was given credit by Marcus Fuller in the Strib account of the commitment. Concur about Thorson’s recruiting acumen. way back was the lead on ”athlete,” Eric Harris who under some tutelage became the point guard on the ‘97 final four team.

Top Bottom