Jack Wilson commits

You need to fill 15 minutes, sometimes 20. First option is Fox if he can play. Second option is Ihnen. Garcia rarely and only when opponents don't have a real post player. Wilson situationally when needed.
Yeah, 5 MORE minutes than we already would have been playing without a true center backing up Payne. Spread those minutes to the other three guys you mentioned.

This sounds like bad fan fiction. This guy played 40 mins all of last year and was on scholarship for football. Your position projects him at 300 good minutes this season in a better conference. Do you understand why we are skeptical? Ben is very close to just winging it on scholarships here.
Maybe BJ is burning it down

Wish more of us could look at this in another way a less bad option. I think it is possible to get 10 good minutes a game from Wilson. He has dropped to 315 already. I think he can play at 280. I am willing to work with him on his own training and conditioning. Longer term it will help his coaching. His footwork is good, but he needs to play well above the rim to give us those minutes. His physique alone makes him an intimidator. It is possible he gives us some quality minutes.

Lmao. That was a good one.

Because that wing is a much better interior defensive player and rebounder than the center.
Anybody who knows where to stand to guard a post is better there than Thompson who simply doesn't want to be there.

Wilson and at least 30 Gopher football players, all with the weight and strength are better than TT. Interior defense starts with mentality. Samuels doesn't have it, nor TT.

Anybody who knows where to stand to guard a post is better there than Thompson who simply doesn't want to be there.

Wilson and at least 30 Gopher football players, all with the weight and strength are better than TT. Interior defense starts with mentality. Samuels doesn't have it, nor TT.
Did anyone make an argument that Samuels could play the post?

TT played the post and he was better than Wilson by every single statistical measure. As bad as you think Thompson was, and he was, he was exponentially better than Wilson. That's how bad Wilson is.

Yeah, 5 MORE minutes than we already would have been playing without a true center backing up Payne. Spread those minutes to the other three guys you mentioned.
Why are you arguing? I have said it goes first to Fox if he's physically able. Second it goes to Ihnen until he shows he's not strong enough. There may be games you use Garcia if the other team does not have a strong guy who will methodically foul him out.

Wilson is on the bench as a deep option. That's good.

Did anyone make an argument that Samuels could play the post?

TT played the post and he was better than Wilson by every single statistical measure. As bad as you think Thompson was, and he was, he was exponentially better than Wilson. That's how bad Wilson is.
Have you seen Wilson play? He joined his team this past season in January. This year he'll be there all year. He's 13th man, deep insurance at a position of high vulnerability.

Why are you arguing? I have said it goes first to Fox if he's physically able. Second it goes to Ihnen until he shows he's not strong enough. There may be games you use Garcia if the other team does not have a strong guy who will methodically foul him out.

Wilson is on the bench as a deep option. That's good.
Ok, so now you're saying Wilson was a good addition because we'll never have to use him anyway. You're getting closer to something logical.

I'm arguing because we'd be better off using those X amount of minutes Wilson could potentially play and giving them to a variety of other post options. Those options aren't ideal centers, but they are closer to it than Jack Wilson.

We could have used that scholarship better elsewhere. But we do agree that it would be very good if he doesn't have to play.

Have you seen Wilson play? He joined his team this past season in January. This year he'll be there all year. He's 13th man, deep insurance at a position of high vulnerability.
We shouldn't throw a scholarship away at the 13th man on the bench. It shouldn't happen. It's happened three years in a row for CBJ.

It's not a position of high vulnerability, we have a C and a bunch of other guys who can play it.

No, i've never seen him play and either have you. You're confident he'll be an improvement over TT based on pure speculation. I'm confident he will not based on every single piece of data on Jack Wilson.

Payne was our only center and the only one that should play it. But he can’t and won’t play 40 minutes a night. Over and over we have heard posters say Ihnen and Fox can’t come back from their injuries, but now they are centers. Lol!!! You can’t make this up.

Depressing to keep coming to GH hoping to see some positive portal news and instead seeing the thread on Jack Wilson is still on top and has now grown to 18 pages.
You could probably avoid some of the Jack Wilson news if you didn't click on the thread about our most recent portal addition titled "Jack Wilson Commits".

Okay, we've had enough bickering. Let's see some action from the man himself. Not an easy task, as Wilson has only played 41 minutes of televised basketball in the last few years. He played an entire 10 minutes in the Cal game on March 8th, so I pulled up the highlights and there are actually a few shots of him in there. Cal was an atrocious team, but their best player was 7'0" 250 lb Lars Thiemann so I'm guessing that's why Jack saw 36% of his minutes on the season against them (2 games)

He is listed at 236 pounds on his profile from his Idaho/Oregon State days, and we have heard he was in the low 300's recently so I wanted to see how he looked in the game. I have to imagine he got pushed around at Idaho/Oregon State. Since he joined the team in December after playing offensive tackle, I was really just wanted to see what his feel for the game/athleticism looks like because of course he is not going to be a big part of their game plan.

Wilson is #21.

1st play: sets a pick (no bone rattles detected), then seals off his man from coming to help on the drive, allowing his teammate to score

2nd play: takes a charge. Lots of chatter from the announcers about him, rivaling Luke Loewe ice fishing potential. They do talk about his footwork and athleticism for a big guy.

3rd play: helps on the end of transition and blocks the shot of the man driving

Bonus 4th play: from their first meeting on January 11th, Jack looks noticeably bigger and slower IMO. He loses his man on the box out and misses the rebound

Really curious to see how Ben uses him and how he fits into the team after he has an offseason to practice with the team and get in basketball shape. Mostly because of the length of this thread.

Payne was our only center and the only one that should play it. But he can’t and won’t play 40 minutes a night. Over and over we have heard posters say Ihnen and Fox can’t come back from their injuries, but now they are centers. Lol!!! You can’t make this up.
So you think Wilson should be the backup 5 and the only one who can play the 5 when Payne sits? So he'll get 10-15 minutes per game? LOL.

Fox and Ihnen are horrific options at the 5, they are just exponentially better options than Jack Wilson.

You might work on your reading comprehension. You don't need to click on the thread to see that it is at 18 pages or that it's usually at or near the top of the page, but carry on.

Because that wing is a much better interior defensive player and rebounder than the center.
No he wasn’t, he’s a liability because he was not nearly physical enough and really did not want to be anywhere near the lane.

So you think Wilson should be the backup 5 and the only one who can play the 5 when Payne sits? So he'll get 10-15 minutes per game? LOL.

Fox and Ihnen are horrific options at the 5, they are just exponentially better options than Jack Wilson.
Not answering for Rock. I don't think it would be horrible to see Wilson in the game for 1-2(3-4?) minutes in the first half and 1-2(3-4?) minutes in the 2nd half to spell Payne when the other teams 5 takes a breather. We will get a better idea of what Wilson is capable of when October rolls around. I don't expect much of an upside. What I expect is for the score board margin to be the same when he leaves the game as it was when we came into the game. Hold his own for 1-2 minutes per half against the other teams back up 5. Here is my assumption: A guy who was a 4 star in HS who went to college and was back and forth with football/basketball now concentrates on basketball for 6 months and plays a minimal roll as a 5-6 minutes per game back up in the BIG. I can see that. If I was starting my team (in Ben's shoes) today and had to choose between TT and Wilson. I'm taking Wilson. Now sign 2 G's Ben and let's see what October brings.

Not answering for Rock. I don't think it would be horrible to see Wilson in the game for 1-2(3-4?) minutes in the first half and 1-2(3-4?) minutes in the 2nd half to spell Payne when the other teams 5 takes a breather. We will get a better idea of what Wilson is capable of when October rolls around. I don't expect much of an upside. What I expect is for the score board margin to be the same when he leaves the game as it was when we came into the game. Hold his own for 1-2 minutes per half against the other teams back up 5. Here is my assumption: A guy who was a 4 star in HS who went to college and was back and forth with football/basketball now concentrates on basketball for 6 months and plays a minimal roll as a 5-6 minutes per game back up in the BIG. I can see that. If I was starting my team (in Ben's shoes) today and had to choose between TT and Wilson. I'm taking Wilson. Now sign 2 G's Ben and let's see what October brings.
Well said. It will be interesting to see what kind of role they have in mind for him in terms of actual time on the court. If he takes the time this off season to really get himself into basketball shape it isn't impossible that he could be effective in limited minutes.

I do think it is funny though that there are some comparing Wilson to TT and acting now like TT was some sort of significant loss. TT was a non-factor because he was a big guy that didn't want to play near the basket. So if Wilson can play center at all he is already an upgrade over what TT brought to the table as a poor shooting 7'0" wing.

Well said. It will be interesting to see what kind of role they have in mind for him in terms of actual time on the court. If he takes the time this off season to really get himself into basketball shape it isn't impossible that he could be effective in limited minutes.

I do think it is funny though that there are some comparing Wilson to TT and acting now like TT was some sort of significant loss. TT was a non-factor because he was a big guy that didn't want to play near the basket. So if Wilson can play center at all he is already an upgrade over what TT brought to the table as a poor shooting 7'0" wing.
cbj coached TT for a couple seasons.......

I get the theory and I think he'll play so little that it would be difficult to tell. I also think those 5 minutes, spread around our current group would be the same thing.

As to Jack Wilson not hurting you, I hope that is how it plays out but it isn't how it's played out anywhere he has ever played. He had the second worst plus/minus on the entire team in his last year at Idaho (behind a guy who played 6 minutes in 1 game) and the lowest on the entire team the previous season. During his time at Idaho, the exact opposite scenario played out to what I bolded above. The team was way worse with him on the court both seasons. I've actually seen very few people with worse stats and had a worse impact on the court than Jack Wilson (statistically).

As far as Thompson, the team was just kind of worse with him out there. He ranked between JOJ and Taurus Samuels, kind right in there with other bad players (Samuels, Henley, JOJ). All of their numbers are way better than Wilson's. To put that into perspective, Wilson's numbers are way worse than Gaston Diedhiou's. He has a negative win/share.

At the end of the day, it's probably not going to matter. Wilson is more of a waste of a scholarship (Ogele) than someone we will be watching play. For next year, the main thing that matters is getting more guards.

Team building and improvement happens in practice. The results show at game time. Glad you are giving credit to Purcell.

I get the theory and I think he'll play so little that it would be difficult to tell. I also think those 5 minutes, spread around our current group would be the same thing.

As to Jack Wilson not hurting you, I hope that is how it plays out but it isn't how it's played out anywhere he has ever played. He had the second worst plus/minus on the entire team in his last year at Idaho (behind a guy who played 6 minutes in 1 game) and the lowest on the entire team the previous season. During his time at Idaho, the exact opposite scenario played out to what I bolded above. The team was way worse with him on the court both seasons. I've actually seen very few people with worse stats and had a worse impact on the court than Jack Wilson (statistically).

As far as Thompson, the team was just kind of worse with him out there. He ranked between JOJ and Taurus Samuels, kind right in there with other bad players (Samuels, Henley, JOJ). All of their numbers are way better than Wilson's. To put that into perspective, Wilson's numbers are way worse than Gaston Diedhiou's. He has a negative win/share.

At the end of the day, it's probably not going to matter. Wilson is more of a waste of a scholarship (Ogele) than someone we will be watching play. For next year, the main thing that matters is getting more guards.
Don't disagree with any of that. Wilson is irrelavent if Ben doesn't get 2 additional guards. He might be anyway. If the gophers improve enough for Ben to keep his job, Wilson will be a rarely mentioned afterthought. If the gophers are bad enough next seaosn for Ben to get canned, Wilson will be just one more reason the gophers failed under Ben. A question I have is if Ben salvages next season, who is our back up big for 24-25? Another portal guy or do we go that freshman route you favor? I'll stop getting ahead of myself. Sorry. LOL

Don't disagree with any of that. Wilson is irrelavent if Ben doesn't get 2 additional guards. He might be anyway. If the gophers improve enough for Ben to keep his job, Wilson will be a rarely mentioned afterthought. If the gophers are bad enough next seaosn for Ben to get canned, Wilson will be just one more reason the gophers failed under Ben. A question I have is if Ben salvages next season, who is our back up big for 24-25? Another portal guy or do we go that freshman route you favor? I'll stop getting ahead of myself. Sorry. LOL
This isn't a shot at all to Ben, but even if we take massive strides, there could be portal questions coming for some of our better players too. . .

This isn't a shot at all to Ben, but even if we take massive strides, there could be portal questions coming for some of our better players too. . .
NIL time. You can sponsor or you can remain the problem.

Top Bottom