Jabril Cox, NDSU linebacker/grad transfer

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
Jabril Cox is grad transferring from NDSU---he's been a stud at that level (3x all-american?). Any chance he ends up Rowing the Boat???? He'd fit in nicely as Coughlin's replacement!

Man the folks who have run ins with more rabid NDSU fans would love that..

We would have taken Carson Wentz. How did we miss out on him or did he choose ndsu over the u.

Gonna be some stiff competition for him. Just read that Ed Orgeron started following him on twitter. The helmet schools are after him.

Also he's from Kansas, and Kansas State's HC coached him for two years at NDSU.

I don't think the signs point to the Gophers, but that would be great.

We would have taken Carson Wentz. How did we miss out on him or did he choose ndsu over the u.
I bartended at a bar in Bismarck about 5 years ago, and Carson's uncle was a regular there. Was told Carson would have been a Gopher had Brewster ever offered...or even offered a PWO. Said he just kept stringing Carson along, trying to keep him in his back pocket in case some other recruits fell through....Carson eventually had enough, and just decided to go to a place where he knew he was wanted.

I can kind of understand Tim not signing him...Carson was a late bloomer, who sat out his junior season due to injury. He didn't have much FBS interest outside of Central Michigan...but at the same time, Tim saw this kid in person numerous times at camps. How do you not recognize the talent? I believe the three coaches to proceed Tim would have gotten Carson here. Tim just didn't have an eye for talent, and I think Carson was the perfect example of Tim chasing stars in recruiting.

I have to think we’re saving the last spot in the class for JDS.

Could be headed to Missouri in the SEC?

Transferring is a bit of a risk. He could show up at a helmet school, and get beat out by a 4-5 star recruit. Is Cox being projected as a 1st rounder?

Last edited:

I bartended at a bar in Bismarck about 5 years ago, and Carson's uncle was a regular there. Was told Carson would have been a Gopher had Brewster ever offered...or even offered a PWO. Said he just kept stringing Carson along, trying to keep him in his back pocket in case some other recruits fell through....Carson eventually had enough, and just decided to go to a place where he knew he was wanted.

I can kind of understand Tim not signing him...Carson was a late bloomer, who sat out his junior season due to injury. He didn't have much FBS interest outside of Central Michigan...but at the same time, Tim saw this kid in person numerous times at camps. How do you not recognize the talent? I believe the three coaches to proceed Tim would have gotten Carson here. Tim just didn't have an eye for talent, and I think Carson was the perfect example of Tim chasing stars in recruiting.
Thank you for the great response! I would not have guessed that Wentz signing day went back to Brewster days.

Transferring is a bit of a risk. He could show up at a helmet school, and get beat out by a 4-5 star recruit. Is Cox being projected as a 1st rounder?
I would totally offer this kid and try to bring him in as fast as possible for Spring practice. If they could get him it would be a major coup for Fleck! They could really use another good LB - he would start for us this year if he comes.

Thank you for the great response! I would not have guessed that Wentz signing day went back to Brewster days.

It doesn't. This was Kill's first class. Brewster was fired by October of Carson's senior season in HS.

I think Carson's "uncle" probably pulled a fast one on Skauma.

All of that said, of course we could have landed him and so could have every other P5 program in the country. It's not an exact science and sometimes everyone misses on a recruit. It happens every single year.

I would totally offer this kid and try to bring him in as fast as possible for Spring practice. If they could get him it would be a major coup for Fleck! They could really use another good LB - he would start for us this year if he comes.

Would appear he is going to have his pick of schools, and could easily follow his old coach to K-State. But if he wants to come here I am sure Fleck would find room for him.

It doesn't. This was Kill's first class. Brewster was fired by October of Carson's senior season in HS.

I think Carson's "uncle" probably pulled a fast one on Skauma.

All of that said, of course we could have landed him and so could have every other P5 program in the country. It's not an exact science and sometimes everyone misses on a recruit. It happens every single year.

Amazing how many people can miss a key point like the one in bold. Highly ranked players don't pan out, low ranked players become stars, happens each and every year.

Amazing how many people can miss a key point like the one in bold. Highly ranked players don't pan out, low ranked players become stars, happens each and every year.
It's easy for people to miss when they have an axe to grind.

But Cox knows what he’s looking for as this process begins. There were only four coaches he followed back on Monday: LSU coach Ed Orgeron, LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt and Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding.

Meet North Dakota State’s Jabril Cox, the transfer portal’s new most wanted man
The article shows that a staffer from Minnesota was there to contact him -- at least they tried! I would hate him to just blow up into a D-1 All American and be a first round draft pick and we didn't even bother to see if there was a mutual interest!!

The article shows that a staffer from Minnesota was there to contact him -- at least they tried! I would hate him to just blow up into a D-1 All American and be a first round draft pick and we didn't even bother to see if there was a mutual interest!!
I think a lot of times there probably is contact but it amounts to:

Hey man sup?

Gotta be honest I'm not interested.

Ok, thanks man!

And we never hear about it and we get the "OMG why didn't we try" kind of panic ;)

Time is valuable, you want to spend it where it will pay off. We've seen midrange or lower teams shoot for the moon and have entire recruiting classes fall apart because ultimately they couldn't reel in guys who were "interested" but ... not really.

Last edited:

Being from KC, MO and spending the last few years in Fargo, I would imagine he's more than ready to get the hell out of the cold of the upper midwest. I'd say chances are pretty slim but it's worth a shot

Being from KC, MO and spending the last few years in Fargo, I would imagine he's more than ready to get the hell out of the cold of the upper midwest. I'd say chances are pretty slim but it's worth a shot

Certainly could be true, but Fargo is on another planet weather wise compared to the Twin Cities..... that god damn wind up there ... ooof.

I think a lot of times there probably is contact but it amounts to:

Hey man sup?

Gotta be honest I'm not interested.

Ok, thanks man!

And we never hear about it and we get the "OMG why didn't we try" kind of panic ;)

Time is valuable, you want to spend it where it will pay off. We've seen midrange or lower teams shoot for the moon and have entire recruiting classes fall apart because ultimately they couldn't reel in guys who were "interested" but ... not really.

How dare you post something so logical!

why would we want Wentz back then when we had Mitch Leidner the GOAT

Top Bottom