Jabari Price shocked at new stadium, how Goph players treated, says MN leads!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SuperPrep.com:

Jabari Price is a talented cornerback prospect from Ely High and Scout caught up with him following his first official visit.

Jabari Price talked about the start to his senior season.
"We got Taravella tomorrow. We're looking to shut down Devon Wright and get the win. Right now we're 2-0. I sat out the first game with a groin injury. The second game I had two tackles and four pass breakups."

Price, 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, talked about the latest on the recruiting front.

"I just got back from my Minnesota visit. It was nice. I was shocked to see the new facilities and how the players were treated. I liked the new stadium."

One school has a slight edge on the rest of the competition.

"Right now Minnesota is number one after that visit but we'll see what happens when I take my others. I'm going to Purdue this Friday. After that it's North Carolina but we don't have an exact date."

While three of his visits are for certain, he's still unsure on the remaining two.

"Those are my three most important ones. I'm also talking to Louisville, Wake Forest, schools like that."

Price was one of six Florida recruits on the visit to Minnesota last weekend and said he enjoyed spending time with them.

"They were all cool," he said. "We were all hanging out. Coach Hammond said if he gets all six of us, he'll be set for the Class of 2010."

Inside the classroom Price claims a 4.0 GPA and a 20 ACT score.

Go Gophers!!

Is it just me, or wouldn't you expect someone with a 4.0 GPA to score a bit higher than 20 on the ACT?

my brother had a 4.0 and only scored a 23. he didn't really prepare for the test in any way. with a 4.0 he was confident that he would get into the college he wanted to go to and didn't put much into the test. that may have been the case here because there are not many big time recruits who have a 4.0

Is it just me, or wouldn't you expect someone with a 4.0 GPA to score a bit higher than 20 on the ACT?

Don't want to paint with too broad a brush but Florida schools are typically a bit behind. At the very least is shows he's committed to classwork.

I did my part... I treated the players as well as I could on Saturday.

I just read an article that said that GPA in high school is the best predictor of graduation while SAT and ACT scores do a better job of predicting college grades. Based on the article you can expect Jabari to get decent grades and graduate. The most important thing is that he is fully qualified as long as he took the right courses.

Don't get your hopes up

He's visiting Purdue this weekend and I've heard that he's holding out for SEC offers, preferably Florida. Depsite what he said about the Gophers leading, it would be surprising for him to end up at a Big Ten school.

He's visiting Purdue this weekend and I've heard that he's holding out for SEC offers, preferably Florida. Depsite what he said about the Gophers leading, it would be surprising for him to end up at a Big Ten school.

That's probably true but I don't think he'll be going to Florida. They already have 5 commits for their class, 4-4* and 1-5*.

True story: I had a ~3.97 GPA in HS (only one B one semester in 4 years) at a pretty good public HS. First time I took the ACT I got a 21 because I didn't take a prepare much, though I was just shy of perfect on the math portion. Second time I got a 27 (good enough to get into the U = good enough for me) after doing a few practice tests and getting some exercise at the style of some of the non-math questions. I'm one of those naturally smart people who didn't try in HS, but I'm a great test taker--it's saved my tail in college and is why I had a high GPA as an undergrad. I just suck at standardized tests. I've found that people who work harder for their grades tend to do better on standardized tests.

That's probably true but I don't think he'll be going to Florida. They already have 5 commits for their class, 4-4* and 1-5*.

I agree, he's not going to get that Florida offer, he's just HOPING for one. That said, he's still holding out for another Florida school offer or an SEC offer closer to home. If none of those pan out, he will end at Minnesota or Purdue.

True story: I had a ~3.97 GPA in HS (only one B one semester in 4 years) at a pretty good public HS. First time I took the ACT I got a 21 because I didn't take a prepare much, though I was just shy of perfect on the math portion. Second time I got a 27 (good enough to get into the U = good enough for me) after doing a few practice tests and getting some exercise at the style of some of the non-math questions. I'm one of those naturally smart people who didn't try in HS, but I'm a great test taker--it's saved my tail in college and is why I had a high GPA as an undergrad. I just suck at standardized tests. I've found that people who work harder for their grades tend to do better on standardized tests.
Somebody's pretty proud of themself? You're a good test taker who got a 21 on your ACT? You had "approximately" a 3.97 gpa? You sure you don't want to carry that decimal out a few more places in your approximation :blah:

It totally depends on the test. I didn't take the ACT, but I did very well on both the SAT and LSAT, and I had absolutely horrible grades in college. Standardized tests (especially the SAT variations) are often an attempt to measure raw ability. Thus, although some test scores can improve with some study of basic techniques, most of the time scores shouldn't change a lot. Meanwhile, effort is absolutely necessary to getting good grades in college (depending on where you go, I guess). But I haven't found that the people I knew who studied a lot for the SAT or LSAT did any better than those who didn't try at all.

way to go i am so proud of you

I agree, he's not going to get that Florida offer, he's just HOPING for one. That said, he's still holding out for another Florida school offer or an SEC offer closer to home. If none of those pan out, he will end at Minnesota or Purdue.

If its between MN and Purdue we should feel pretty confident, and I don't mean that to sound bad, I think with the new stadium it should be a no brainer.

Some schools spend considerable time getting students prepared for college admissions tests, with classes and practice tests. Other students are just thrown into it. It's best not to get caught flat-footed when you take the test, especially if a college scholarship is at stake. It's funny how people will look on with suspicion if an athlete studies up for the test, but have no problem when high schools teach people how to take the test.

If its between MN and Purdue we should feel pretty confident, and I don't mean that to sound bad, I think with the new stadium it should be a no brainer.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows with high school kids. The new stadium is very nice but if you think that's the ONLY reason recruits pick a certain school, you need a little refresher on college recruiting. More important than a stadium is playing time, relationship with coaches, and chance to play in meaningful bowl games. I don't have answers to any of those questions but a brand new stadium won't mean much to a recruit if a) they have depth at his position, b) the coach is a prick, and c) the program is not winning.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows with high school kids. The new stadium is very nice but if you think that's the ONLY reason recruits pick a certain school, you need a little refresher on college recruiting. More important than a stadium is playing time, relationship with coaches, and chance to play in meaningful bowl games. I don't have answers to any of those questions but a brand new stadium won't mean much to a recruit if a) they have depth at his position, b) the coach is a prick, and c) the program is not winning.

right, and since MN needs corners badly (a), Coach Brew is a "players coach" and proven recruiter (b), and we are = or above Purdue as far and the state of the program (c), I would say by throwing in the stadium it should be a no brainer. Plus, 80% of the school isn't men.

Man, I only had a 3.4 but I got a 34 on the ACT. I got into Notre Dame, BC, and G'Town but choose the U, granted it was largely between here and Madison for financial reasons. Yet somehow hockey players managed to pull in 4.0's at Hill while scoring in the low 20's on the ACT- big time athletes find ways to do that ;)

Man, I only had a 3.4 but I got a 34 on the ACT. I got into Notre Dame, BC, and G'Town but choose the U, granted it was largely between here and Madison for financial reasons. Yet somehow hockey players managed to pull in 4.0's at Hill while scoring in the low 20's on the ACT- big time athletes find ways to do that ;)

Proves how much high school GPA's are worth. Many, if not most, high schools offer two versions of their core courses, usually the regular, and then an advanced or honors course for the kids that want to be challenged. College admissions take this into account, but when we see a GPA posted, we don't know the course work behind it.

Someone alluded to it earlier, that hard work is a better determination of success than GPA or test scores. It's absolutely true in school, in sports, in jobs and in life.

Top Bottom