Izzo's Post-Game Presser

Nomellini

Reaction score
I listened to the first 8 minutes of Dr. Izzo's post-mortem and I have never before heard a coach of a ranked team say so many nice things about his squad after just getting trashed by 25 points. He sounded like MSU had actually won the game when he talked abut how they met a number of pre-game priorities. His team's only failing, in his view, was that arctic shooting percentage. He never admitted that Minnesota's defense could have had something to do with that brick barrage and he ignored his team's stunning rebounding futility. In fact, he could never once even say the words "Minnesota" or "Gophers". It seemed as though he couldn't accept taking an ass-kicking from a team that he has owned for so long. He and Painter have been my favorite long-time opponent coaches but I found Izzo's disdain to be disappointing.

I watched the first few minutes of his presser and to me, it just sounded like he was trying to paint some positives in an otherwise brutal loss. Nothing more. I didn't take issue with anything he said.

I listened to the first 8 minutes of Dr. Izzo's post-mortem and I have never before heard a coach of a ranked team say so many nice things about his squad after just getting trashed by 25 points. He sounded like MSU had actually won the game when he talked abut how they met a number of pre-game priorities. His team's only failing, in his view, was that arctic shooting percentage. He never admitted that Minnesota's defense could have had something to do with that brick barrage and he ignored his team's stunning rebounding futility. In fact, he could never once even say the words "Minnesota" or "Gophers". It seemed as though he couldn't accept taking an ass-kicking from a team that he has owned for so long. He and Painter have been my favorite long-time opponent coaches but I found Izzo's disdain to be disappointing.

Izzo remains one of the real dickheads in the college game.

Part of the reason they shot so poorly is because they kept taking contested jumpers. Almost like the defense or his coaching was part of the equation. Sacrilege to blame him, coach K, etc but every so often their teams are unprepared. Last night was one of those times.

While I respect his coaching abilities, I've always thought he has Coach K level smugness.

Give me a Thad Matta, John Beilein or Richard Pitino personality any day of the week.

Izzo, your poop does not smell like red roses.

While I respect his coaching abilities, I've always thought he has Coach K level smugness.

Give me a Thad Matta, John Beilein or Richard Pitino personality any day of the week.

Izzo, your poop does not smell like red roses.

I will never like Matta but the others I agree with.

For years Izzo's post-game pressers have included patronizing pats on the head for the Gophers after his teams have kicked our ass. I love to see him struggle to deal with being on the receiving end of the ass kicking from us for once.

For years Izzo's post-game pressers have included patronizing pats on the head for the Gophers after his teams have kicked our ass. I love to see him struggle to deal with being on the receiving end of the ass kicking from us for once.

Bingo!

Yeah, I think Pitino couldnt get away with such a performance. Izzo kept repeating over and over that they just missed open shots and that this fact pretty much summed up the game. Could easily be interpreted as passing the buck i think.

That said, it is hard to minimize the impact of making/missing 3 ptrs. But not like we were lighting it up from beyond the arc either so not sure if izzo's presser mantra really holds water.

Yeah, I think Pitino couldnt get away with such a performance. Izzo kept repeating over and over that they just missed open shots and that this pretty much summed up the game. Could easily be interpreted as passing the buck i think.
Right, the Gophers did not shoot particularly well either but dominated the game. You don't shoot as bad as MSU by just missing good looks. They took numerous terrible shots that were strongly defended throughout the game.

Right, the Gophers did not shoot particularly well either but dominated the game. You don't shoot as bad as MSU by just missing good looks. They took numerous terrible shots that were strongly defended throughout the game.

Yeah, i havent had a chance to watch the game yet but judging from the presser would think that spartan shooters had open shots all game. But i think in general coaches have no trouble "making excuses". Pitino and Fleck will both quickly remind if players are out due to injury, e.g. Coach Kill was peerless when it came to excuses.

Have always really appreciated Painter's press conferences. To me, he doesnt come across as a guy full of himself.

Last edited:

Top Bottom